“perfect location”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I rented a room. I was very surprised, the room looked like a one bedroom apartment, nice spacious, very comfy bed. The only observation I had was the rug looked like it could have used a good cleaning. Other then that the resort was great, breakfast was included, they had a great spread. Lots of yogurts, pastries, cereals, eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. The hotel is located two blocks from the beach. Your also one block from Mi Casita restaurant., delicious spanish food. If you walk three blocks over, you have metropol restaurant. They have the best octopus salad in town. This hotel is perfect if you want to be by the beach, casinos, and restaurants. The pool is very nice as well.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank romey79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at The Embassy Suites Isla Verde from July 1 – 8, 2011 . We were in Puerto Rico with a large group of family members and friends.

Check in – Quick and easy. I reserved the room on the Embassy Suites website and there were no issues once I arrived. Our room was on the 8th floor and we received the room we booked.

The room and hotel – The rooms were very dated and not very clean. We choose Embassy Suites because of the large group. We especially liked the breakfast offered in the mornings because it made that part of the day easy to deal with since there were so many of us. We also like the happy hour every evening. The rooms, though, were severely lacking. The carpet is so old that there are ripples. The tile in the shower is missing grout. The couch and carpet were stained. There were stains on the walls. Housekeeping is not up to par. While I saw a vacuum on the housekeeping cart, I don't think it was utilized regularly. The clock radio on the nightstand was dusty. The AC was difficult to control and wasn't consistent. I could go on. I will say that the linens and towels were clean and changed regularly. The duvet cover on the bed was also changed during our stay. The water pressure in the shower was great. However, as busy as this place is, one would think that some renovations would be in order.

Dining – The hotel has an Outback Steakhouse and a bar and grill. Had lunch at the bar and grill and it wasn't good. The wait was almost an hour. We ordered appetizers at Outback during happy hour one night and it was standard fare. There is a happy hour every night which is really good. The bartenders can make any drink you like. They also provide chips and salsa. Breakfast in the morning is typical hotel breakfast. It is a hot breakfast in addition to cereal and bread. You can also get omelets made to order and pancakes. There are dining options within easy walking distance from the hotel.

Pool and Beach – The pool area was nice. The water is extremely cold. There are plenty of loungers and I didn't experience the issue of chairs being saved all day without being used. The main issue with the pool is that there are only 5 umbrellas! Not a good situation. The beach area reserved for the Embassy Suites is located several blocks away but is not a difficult walk. They have a section set aside specifically for Embassy Suites but understand that it's a public beach and there will be locals in the same section. It isn't exclusive. There are also not enough umbrellas and we had to rent from the local rental place on the beach.

General impressions – Embassy Suites is great if you're staying for an extended period of time with a large group. However, much work is needed on the facility and housekeeping needs to be retrained on proper cleaning techniques.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimberly Z
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Louisq T:

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We again apologize for the inconveniences that you endured.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Massapequa Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family of 5 just returned from an excellent vacation in Puerto Rico. We stayed for a week in the Embassy Suites and we were very happy as usual with Embassy.

It is a 5 minute cab ride from the airport which is so nice after a 3:30 flight from NY. We grabbed our bags and were checked in in no time at all. The lobby/atrium area is beautifully decorated and landscaped.

Although you are close to the airport you never really realize that once you are there. The room was clean and comfortable with great AC. The FREE wifi works throughout the hotel and the pool area and works great.

The pool is beautiful and very clean. On several nights of our stay the hotel was filled to capacity however we never really had a problem getting chairs at the pool. The employees distributing the towels were cheerful and pleasant.

The hotel is located about two blocks from the beach whihc was gorgeous. The sand was clean and soft. While running in the morning I observed a cleaning crew walking the beach meticulously cleaning it on foot and with machines. The surf was nice with 2-3 foot swells and a well marked swimming area.

We used the beach many times. The employees who distributed the towels, chairs and umbrellas were always pleasant and helpful. Do yourself a favor and stop at the Store 24 or Walgreens on Isla Verde Ave and buy your own foam cooler and drinks and bring them to the beach to save you money.

On the beach we walked east and booked wave runners which were a lot of fun.

We used the hotels concierge to book a trip to the El Yunque rainforest and it was excellent.

The hotels casino was nice. We are not gamblers and only spent a short amount of time there.

The Outback in the hotel was great. We had one particular waiter named Brian who was excellent. He was pleasant and loved talking with us about the island he lived on.

I ran outside almost everyday. if you plan to run on your vacation run down Calle Tartak to Isla Verde Ave and cross to the north side of the street. Make a right and dun east . Once you past the Courtyard by Marriott there is a path that runs along the road and you can safely run there along the ocean. I ran 5-6 milers with no problem at all. Bring water as it is HOT!

The hotel is a 20 minute cab ride from Old San Juan. The bus is cheap (.75 per person) and easy but it is slow. We only used it one time. We opted for the cab after that.

Lastly I want to comment on a couple of the reasons we always stay at Embassy. Being a family of 5 we always have a bedroom at Embassy. In San Juan we actually has two bedrooms and still paid less then had we stayed at other hotel in Isla Verde for one room.

The cooked to order or buffet breakfast was awesome. The kitchen staff was pleasant and the food was great. They would make whatever you wanted. There were lines but the staff does there best to keep them moving and hoe can you complain when the breakfast if FREE??

The daily Managers reception was also awesome. They have Medalla beer and will make you any mixed drink that they know. The chips and salsa were a nice snack. Again there were some lines in the beginning but they move quick and once again how can you complain at all when it is FREE?

The whole area of Isla Verde is very family friendly with many fast food restaurants that kids love within walking distance. I also found great Puerto Rican food restaurants within walking distance. All the employees were cheerful and very helpful at all times.

I hope that you and your family have as good a time at Embassy Suites San Juan as we did.

Room Tip: The hotel is atrium style so to avoid any kind of noise from the lobby (breaksfast/Manager reception...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lifl2003
nashville, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

we came to this hotel for my gradsons 16th birthday. When we were there they ran out of food, plates, utensils, and seating area for both breakfast and the evening reception. On our last day/night our room was never cleaned, when we ask for it to be cleaned they told me that the maids had left and all they could only give us towels and linens and we had to do it ourselves. a bad experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

4 Thank Louisq T
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, December 23, 2014
Dear Louisq T:

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We again apologize for the inconveniences that you endured, if there is anything we can do to correct this please let us know. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

4th of July Weekend was my first trip to PR and we booked this hotel through travelocity. Because we had 3 people, the hotel charged us an additional $25 per night when the room already has capacity for 3 or more persons. The Room Service is horrible. We told the maid to come back after we were dressed and she put down that we declined a room cleaning. 48 hours with a dirty room. The pool is flooded with kids and no management of the hot tub. Kids were playing in the hot tub and jumping in and out as if it was a kiddie pool.

Pros: Free breakfast and free happy hour daily; Bell-mans were super nice; Walk to Beach and food

Cons: Multiple attempts to get the room cleaned with no response; Had to wait a full 2 days before room service cleaned our room; Multiple requests for pillows went unfulfilled; Bathrooms are laced mildew & no vents to aid; In-house bar has poor customer service; Sofa sleepers very uncomfortable; linens reeked of spoiled water!

Room Tip: Get a room that does not overlook the lobby. Can be very loud in the mornings. Please reiterate that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Courtney L
Dear Courtney L:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and free happy hour but at the same time we are disappointed to learn that we did not provide you with the exceptional experience we strive to provide all our guests. I am so sorry that your room was not cleaned and that there were some issues in your room that needed our attention. Please know that our team takes great pride in delivering great stay for each one of our guests and truly apologize if we did not live up to this brand promise.

Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our staff in order for us to continue to improve upon our products and services. If your travels bring you back to our hotel we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to be able to restore your faith in our hospitality.

Clifton, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here twice. The evening before we left for our cruise and the night we came back in. The first night there was fine and we had dinner at the on site Outback Restaurant. It was late to arrive and leave. Room was clean and comfortable. Second night upon our return was a different story......They have an area that provides a free drink and appetizers for registered guests...The time stated for it was 5 pm till 7:30. We were there at 5, walked over and helped ourselves to free nachos and salsa and sat down. The woman placed in charge of the concession came over to us and began screaming at us that we were too early and that we were not allowed to take a small basket of chips. She literally screeched and shook her finger at our party of six older adults. Our group leader stood up and confronted her and told her it was 5 pm and her sign was out. She ignored his comments and began slamming stuff around. We got up and left and went out to dinner. To heck with a free drink. Who needed it. The next morning, check out was noon. We were up at 8 and were about to go to get breakfast when a knock on our door came from the maid asking us when we were leaving and telling us they had to clean the rooms. We were still in our pj's. She gave me a nasty look and then laughed and said something in Spanish to her associate who pulled our hotel room door closed and walked away. We will never stay there again. It is convenient to the airport but for the rudeness and lack of respect, we'll stay somewhere else next time. Others in our group experiences similar problems. Not a great place for Americans spending US dollars. Go where you're respected and appreciated.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be the same. There are balconies outside the rooms overlooking a six story at...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deb S
Dear Deb S:

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I truly regret that you had a disappointing experience with some of our staff being rude towards you. This is totally unacceptable and I can assure you that I have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

St. Croix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start by saying I live on St. Croix so I may be looking for different things than your average traveler. I wanted to take my family (wife, 2 and 4 year old) to San Juan for the 4th of July Weekend for a more "stateside" experience than what we have on our smaller island. The Embassy Suites was a great choice, the room had 2 rooms, the kids stayed in the living room on the "transformer bed" (aka sleeper sofa) and my wife and I had a King in a separate room which worked out great despite not being our first choice (2 doubles). It is laid out like any other Embassy Suites and our kids loved the big atrium with glass elevators and the fish in the little ponds in the lobby. I was pleasantly surprised by how close the beach was and they have a concession on the beach that provides free towels, chairs, and umbrellas for guests which we did take advantage of. The pool was also nice with a waterfall that my oldest loved jumping through, a kiddie pool for the 2 year old, and a hot tub that we all enjoyed. The DJ playing Reggaton at extremely high volume levels was a bit too much. It's the same in a lot of places over here on St. Croix so I'm used to it but it was definitely a bit too "loud" considering the demographic of the pool which was many families with kids. Definitely a Puerto Rican thing, and when in Rome I guess.

Carolina is nice, although it was crazy on 4th of July with thousands at the beach, we actually were looking for exactly that kind of lively scene so were happy to see it (our island is much quieter and we wanted to get away from the quiet). The hotel is right off Route 37 which is a bit like "Coastal Highway" in Ocean City Maryland or other resort towns, lots of little places to eat, beach gift shops, Walgreens, fast food etc. within quick walking distance.

We had a great trip, here's the pros and cons:

Pros
Was able to book last minute for 40k Hilton Points
Was accommodated on 7th floor for HHonors Gold status
2 room suite is great for a family of 4
Pool is nice
While not right on the beach the location is better than I expected and was perfect for us.
Outback steakhouse in the lobby was great for the family for dinner.
Free breakfast was good
12pm checkout

Cons
Could not check in until 4pm.
Did not have double bed room. Turned out ok though.
Manager's reception was too busy, we didn't even try to get a drink after seeing the line.
DJ by the pool was not appropriate for the demographic of the pool (mostly families)

We plan to head back over the next time we need our fill of stateside chain restaraunts and shopping that we don't have on our island.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stiphy
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,112 reviews

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!