“Good option if you get a good price”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed November 28, 2011

this hotel is off the beach, so is really only a good option if you get a good price, so shop around. It's a nice hotel in typical Embassy fashion with the free breakfast and evening happy hour, which can same some buck in pricey San Juan. there are a few other eating option right on site, and it's only a block to the main street with more option. if you walk out the front door, go all the way to beach (2 blocks) and there area couple beach joints that I like for a change of pace and to watch the sea. Rooms were good too. As far as I could tell, they include the resort charge of 14% in the price, as opposed to other higher end hotels that add it. Make sure you are aware of this San Juan practice when pricing out hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JSMinMN
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Hello JSMinM:

Thank you so much for posting your review on tripadvisor.com regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed our breakfast and manager's reception and the convenience of our beach services.

I hope you visit us again soon!

Cordially,

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I booked this hotel for myself and 2 friends for an overnight, awaiting for a friend to arrive the next day and then we were going to drive to the western part of the island. My 2 friends did not make it that night due to flight delays, so I stayed the night solo. When I booked the reservation, the rate for a single person was $179 and for 3 people $194. When I checked in at the hotel, I advised the agent my 2 friends would not be staying and since it was just me, could the rate be adjusted to the single rate of $179. His reply was "you have the best rate for the night". However, in talking to another hotel employee, the hotel was only 1/4 full!
It is a basic Embassy design with a great atrium, evening reception and breakfast. I did not arrive for the reception, but the breakfast was disappointing. All of the hot food was cold, the toaster's were not working, but the coffee was good. There is a lobby restaurant serving "local" cuisine (go out and get better food at a cheaper price). And there is an Outback Steakhouse that is attached, a great pool area and a very small casino. And because of the casino, your bill is smacked with a resort fee. So for the $194 I was quoted, with tax and the "resort fee", my total was $245 for 1 night, which I believe is a big rip off.
The hotel is one block from Isla Verde avenue where you can get a bus into San Juan and also another 1/2 block to some great Isla Verde beaches.
Check the area out, there are better hotels you can find.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joseph T

Dear Joseph T:

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting your review.

I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our product and services, your feedback is very important to us.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail or if I can be of assistance in a future stay.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

This was the only hotel I stayed in at San Juan, and the first one at Embassy Suites in a long time, so I don’t have a great point of comparison. I primarily chose it because I was able to use points, and they had a 2 bedroom /2 bathroom suite available (which was essentially just two adjoining rooms, one with a living area and the other not).

It is located about a 5 minute walk to the beach, which was a decent beach – fun waves, wide & long and not too crowded. Beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas included (although chairs were a little old looking and lacked the added padding of the nearby Ritz Carlton). Note that the Embassy Suites portion of the beach enters the shade around 4 (at least in November), although you could move to another area.

Included breakfast was ok. It did include custom-order omelets and pancakes. Was a little chaotic and not replenished that well.

Included Happy Hour is a nice touch, with a few drinks, popcorn, chips/salsa. The margarita was particularly tasty. Some sort of menu would have been helpful, though.

Rooms were standard, but a bit worn (rug coming apart, furniture showing tear), at least room 830. Bathroom was good (loads of counter space), but weird how there was no towel racks, except some small hooks at the back of the door (awkward). The electronic key function on one of the doors also did not work.

Annoyed when had to take $13 taxi from airport (when less than a mile away), but Embassy Suites said they cannot provide a shuttle due to government regulation. Would recommend trying to share taxi with others to not feel like being ripped off.

Also, housekeeping seemed confused. They came into our room early in the morning, sometimes just walking in or knocking but not waiting for an answer before coming in. Even though we requested no service…weird.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tSanDiego

Dear tszabo:

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience.

I shared your comments about the condition of the suite and the suite service with the Housekeeping Director. I also wanted to mention that the hotels in this area are not allowed to provide shuttle service to or from the airport.

We really appreciate your feedback, we are continuously working to improve our operations and service.

I hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights over Thanksgiving week. Everyone was very friendly. Great location to beach...only 1 block away. We felt very safe walking around with our 7 & 9 year olds. Concierge was very knowledgable. We ended up taking the bus to Old San Juan for a total of $3, which saved us a $20 taxi ride. The bus was easy, but was about a 45 minute ride, so we took a cab home, which was a much faster 20 minute ride. Breakfast buffet was excellent, just as they all are at Embassy Suites. For a holiday week, the lines were sometimes longer, but nothing that was unbearable. The kids loved the pool and the hotel was very clean. Even though the airport is only 5 minutes away, we never heard the planes at night. We only heard them while sitting at the pool. In the lobby is a phone that goes directly to a rental car company and that's what we used to go to El Yunque. The rental company (VIAS) picked us up at the hotel within 5 minutes at no extra charge, althought it was only about 1/4 mile away so we could have walked. They were very inexpensive and driving in Puerto Rico was no problem at all (just like driving in the US). Embassy Suites gave us great directions to El Yunque. I would recommend avoiding rush hour though. The hotel was very easy to get to the expressway to go to El Yunque.

If you've never stayed at an Embassy Suites, it has 2 rooms with 2 TVs, microwave, fridge. This is nice in the evening when winding down because the kids can be in one room watching kids shows while adults are in the other room watching our shows. Great place to stay and would do it again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank traveler11196

Hello traveler11196:

What a wonderful review! We are glad that you had such a great experience during your recent stay with us.

Please come back soon!

Reviewed November 23, 2011

The hotel itself was nice. Loved the landscaping and pool. Enjoyed the evening drinks and breakfast in the morning. When we arrived our room had a terrible ordor and we couldn't switch rooms because it was 100% booked. They did come up right away and try to clean...really didn't help. Loved being within walking distance to the beach. They provided chairs and umbrellas...and the beach was always empty. The place was too crowded for our taste. There were tons of activities and events being held at the hotel....proms, weddings, conventions, and reunions. There were long drink and breakfast lines because of how crowded the place was...but really shouldn't complain because it was included in the price. Security had to come to the pool on several occasions because of older teenagers causing problems...drinking age is 18...so lots of teens were staying at the place. The staff was wonderful and friendly!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear nebraska:

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience in Tripadvisor. I am delighted that our team members exceeded your expectations, they are the best!

I do want to apologize for the inconvenience you had in your room, I forwarded your comments to our Housekeeping and Engineering Directors for them to fix the problem.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We arrived at the hotel right around check in time so there were no delays. Everyone is super friendly. They were a bit short-handed at the front desk at check-in so that took a little longer than expected. The rooms/suites are awesome, very clean too. I loved the pool area, jacuzzi, etc. If I had anything to comment negatively on it would be a) the "managers cocktail party" should be more of a "bar" setting with more than 2 bartenders at it. Having the "line-up" really made it un-personal and undesirable having to stand in line for drinks. Any other Embassy I have been to had a regular bar with many bartenders on staff for the occasion so there was very little waiting. Also b) for breakfast, again the lines were really long too. Maybe having 2 lines for buffet food and then just 1 station for omelettes would be better. the breakfast was great though! I did like how the pool area always a security guard walking around - that made me feel comfortable and knowing that my items were safe, should I decide to get in the water and leave my belongings. The pool was great and the jacuzzi was perfect (except the jets weren't the best). As far as the outdoor facilities, my only complaint would be that the tiki-bar should stay open later than 5:30. The bartender was great (i can't remember her name) but she was always smiling!

All in all, I would definitely come back to this hotel and everyone in my group was happy as well. One piece of advice - the handicapped rooms are on the second floor right directly above the casino and on certain nights they have live music and it's loud.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room. Also, rooms above the casino are noisier because of their live entertainme...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed November 16, 2011

we loved this place, beautiful grounds, great pool, happy hour, gym, fantastic breakfast.
a real surprise as we had been delayed in san juan for a day and were not sure what to expect..

Room Tip: all the rooms face inward to a beautiful atrium
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!