InterContinental San Juan
$189
  • Pool
Coral by the Sea(Isla Verde)
$102
$203
Travelocity
$289
2,889 results
All reviewsnestor colonsan juanpool arearuth chrisswim up barmini barocean viewclub roomfood and drinksan umbrellagreat poolclose to the airportbeautiful propertybeach accessthe entire staffmi casitalocal restaurants
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This hotel needs a serious lesson in basic customer service. My husband and I checked in at 4pm on 6/9. Our room had scuffed walls and spatters on the bathroom door that no one had ever cleaned. The reason for our stay was a simple one-night stayover until we could fly to Culebra the next day.

Here are the issues we dealt with:
-At 8:30 that night, I called the front desk to let them know the toilet in our room was running. They promised to send someone to fix it - no one showed up.

-At 9pm, I called to let the desk know that the "premium internet" I agreed to pay $20 for was not working properly. The girl said, "I'll transfer you so they can take care of the problem," and transferred me to a number that rang and rang and rang for at least five minutes, and no one answered. I called back and told her, "The number you transferred me to had no answer," and she said, "I'll try again." Unfortunately, I got the same result, no answer. I gave up on getting work done.

-The morning of 6/10 I called room service around 9:30am for breakfast. It rang.. and rang.. and rang.. are we seeing a theme here? I called the front desk again and explained that I wanted to order room service but didn't get an answer. She said, "Oh, sorry, I'll radio them and have them call your room." Uh, okay. Twenty minutes later we got a call, were informed that two of the three things we wanted to order were not available (NOT helpful!) and so did not eat breakfast until very late.

-Around 11am on 6/10 I called the concierge desk to try and book a taxi to SIG. It rang and rang and.... yeah. No help there.

When I went to check out, I advised Antonio at the front desk of these issues when he asked me how everything was. In response to my list of issues, Antonio basically raised his eyebrow and said, "Oh," and gave me my total amount owed. No apology or sympathetic anything. I said, "Antonio, are you really going to charge me for the internet I paid for that did not work?" He got very defensive and told me I did not deserve a refund because I had not informed anyone about the problem! I told him again how I had called and they transferred me to a number where no one answered. He said, "Yes, you did not inform anyone of the problem so I cannot refund you." I asked him if he really thought I could somehow figure out who to call when the front desk could not figure it out either! He finally said, "Okay, fine, I'll take it off... but you did not tell anyone about the problem." I'm glad he felt it was important to get that last word in.

I am shocked at the poor customer service exhibited by a hotel that seems to think it is really something special. There is NO excuse to treat a customer that way when they are voicing a complaint, and there is no excuse for the delays in service (or nonexistent service) we received based on the price we paid. This hotel wants to charge you high rates when the rooms aren't that special and their staff is untrained and does not know how to handle problems with grace.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, avoid rooms on the front ("laguna") side of the hotel, as that is directly where planes land at SJU. It didn't bother us but I can see that some people might not enjoy it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GSKorelys
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear GSKorelys, thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the challenges that you experienced during your stay with us. We regret that these challenges have impacted your experience at our property and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Your concerns were shared with our team and please rest assured that corrective action have been taken.

Our Guest Experience Manager has contacted you through a private message and we look forward to hearing from you soon. We would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I booked the Intercontinental San Juan through Jet Blue as a package three days before I planned to depart. The price was $169 a night.

I met people at the hotel that booked through a travel agent and they paid more. They also had a $600 hold put on their credit card. They also had to pay 11% plus 18% per night as resort fees. Since I booked through Jet Blue, I was not charged these fees. I do not know the reason. It might be due to being a True Blue customer.

I also rented a car in this package (through Hertz). The entire package (my understanding) was actually done through Expedia. So call me confused but alas the 8 nights for hotel, car, and flight ran me about $2600.

The San Juan Airport is 1/2 mile from the hotel. Not necessarily easy to get to the hotel because I do not speak Spanish and call this a "DUH" statement, but road signs in Puerto Rico are in Spanish. I had my Verizon Samsung Galaxy tablet to help me navigate. Verizon service is not great in PR. Most people had service everywhere if they used AT&T or T-Mobile.

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by the nice staff. I learned that if I park myself, it is $20 per day. Valet is $25 per day. I chose valet.

From the front of the hotel, it did not look like much. This hotel has been around for a long time so I did not have an expectation that I was going to see a beautiful hotel. The lobby is tasteful, the check in was uneventful, and at the time I checked in, the three elevators were in service. More on the elevators later.

I stayed in one of the cheaper rooms so it was right in front of the elevators. That can be a mistake given that many people live the late night hours and tend to drink quite a bit. When they go to or come from the elevators, they can be loud at any hour of the day/night. The very small terrace was over looking the back of the hotel. They are doing construction on the area closest to the back of the hotel so the view directly in front of me was pretty much nothing. They were cutting down rather large trees so I was woken up a very times by chain saws.

Beyond the construction was the pool, some restaurants, and the beach. It really is pretty so looking beyond the construction was a view worthwhile. I'm sure the nicer rooms had better views.

The beds are very comfortable. The blankets and pillows were lovely. They offer different types of pillows so that was nice as I prefer down pillows.

Other than that, it is pretty much a standard room.

The lower level provides access to a gift shop. Nice but the prices are somewhere in the outrageous area. The pool is laid out into multiple areas with waterfalls, a hot tub (jacuzzi I guess), a bar where you can sit in the pool, drink, and watch TV. A restaurant next to the pool with a decent variety, decent food, and given the prices at the other restaurant, somewhere near reasonable if you consider a burger for $12 "reasonable".

The restaurant on the beach is a nice location by it is actually a chain and pricey. I did not eat there. It is nice to sit there under the palm trees and get a drink but drinks are not cheap and nothing special.

The main lobby has the casino (I do not gamble so I have no opinion... did not even look). There is access to a Japanese restaurant, way expensive, Ruth Chris, again, way expensive, a coffee shop, $3-4 for coffee. The coffee was decent so if I was lazy, I went there. The coffee shop has small sandwiches for a few dollars that were good but again, small. So a slice of bread with a few slices of salmon, a slice of egg, a sliver of cheese and an olive, about $4, but tasty enough. They sell various bottles of wine and cigars. I'm sure you can go elsewhere for a better price.

They have some types of bands that I believe are only on Friday and Saturday night. Spanish style music (another "DUH" statement) and VERY LOUD! I could hear some of the bass from my 7th floor room.

The dress code is rather relaxed as opposed to when I went to PR in 1982. The dance area during the weekend band stuff I believe required formal wear as I saw the "pretty people" really done up.

The bar in the lobby is also nice but expensive. $10 for a beer (I only had Hofbrau Dunkel).

The entire staff is extremely polite and helpful.

The beach is rather clean but people ted to leave trash so by late afternoon, there can be a less attractive feel. The sand is brown so it gets very hot until later in the day. Very few shells, rocks, or pretty much anything. I liked the beach. The water (June) was warm and not breaking waves, just swells so swimming felt great without a major current.

There is a grocery across the street that serves the purpose of getting some stuff to put in the cube fridge in the room. A great beer selection at this store. A restaurant near the store serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner at reasonable prices for OK food. A supermarket is "around the corner" which translates to about 1/2 mile (Pueblo Supermarket).

Short walk to the El San Juan hotel which has a Starbucks and I was told equally as expensive restaurants.

I did a day trip to Fajardo to snorkel on Icacos Island. The catamaran was really nice. The snorkeling was nothing. I did a day trip to Ponce, Mayaguez, and other places as well. I like Puerto Rico but I do not know if I can justify the price of the Intercontinental. I think business people that can write off the trip will like it but the average MAY do better elsewhere.

Later in the week, they were doing elevator maintenance. That was a nightmare. I hope no one else has to deal with the very long wait time to get around.

The on ground spa is wonderful. Had three massages. 80 minutes deep tissue/swedish mixed was about $140. Unisex steam room/sauna.

The gym (well equipped) above the spa is open 24x7 and has a terrace overlooking the beach. Nice view.

I saw a few weddings, a prom dance, and other affairs going on. Can be a busy place.

Overall I did enjoy this trip. I am unsure I would return to the hotel as I feel there are other less expensive options though possibly not as nice in the variety of things I mentioned. What's perfect?

Room Tip: My review pretty much covers it. I would assume the higher up, the better, and thehigh rates may be worthwhile depending on factors I mentioned.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank HowieM3

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed review about your last stay with us and for your kind words about our staff. We are glad to see that you liked our facilities, especially the spa, the gym and the lobby bar. Nevertheless, we would like to apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay as we were forced to remove a tree due to the damage its roots were causing to the building.

Thank you again for your valuable and honest feedback and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed 2 nights post cruise and were looking for somewhere nice next to the beach to just relax and that's exactly what we got. Fabulous pool, lots of restaurant choices, plenty of sun beds. Would definitely go back

Room Tip: We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel but went to a little cafe opposite the hotel. We had a high floor room with a clear sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank L0rraineM

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your positive feedback on our facilities. We, along with our colleagues at the InterContinental San Juan, look forward to welcoming you back to Puerto Rico soon.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great location, views, and rooms. I especially liked the great service particularly from Barron who helped us figure out where to go and also helped us get priority admittance to the venues. All around he went above and beyond his call of duty

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank John J

Thank you for your positive words about our property and for recognizing Baron! We are fortunate to have him in our team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

After seeing a few reviews with people referring to rooms that needed updating I was pleasantly surprised by the newly appointed rooms as d immaculate grounds. The staff was always very friendly and accommodating and there were no stupid rules (no pill hot/tub after 10 etc). The gym is open all night.. and the sound of the frogs envelopes you as soon as you step onto the property. Great value.. highly recommend.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ByronA486
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at our property. We are glad to read that you found our staff friendly and that you liked our rooms and amenities. Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Puerto Rico and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!