“Great stay at the InterContinental”

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Staying at the Intercontinental was a great experience. The hotel is in the middle of Isla Verde and has beautifully maintained grounds and a lovely beach. The room was large and renovated and we had a beautiful view of the ocean from the 12th floor. I definitely recommend splurging for an ocean front room if possible. Within 30 minutes of arriving at the airport, we were at the hotel, checked in, and at the beach restaurant having lunch and a pina colada.

The coffee shop on the first floor is very convenient, especially if you are heading out early for a tour. I would also recommend Happy Hour at Ruth Chris's steakhouse (located in the hotel) for the happy hour at 5:30 - 7:00 where you can get discounted drinks and appetizers.

The people at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful. They definitely made us feel welcome and added to the great experience - special thanks to William (bellman) and Jesus (barista at the coffee shop), you guys are awesome!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor, ocean front room.
3  Thank ShirlsD2014
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for recognizing William and Jesus! We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our service levels and we hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,801)

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is a very good hotel, attractive surrounds and great landscaping of the grounds and in the pool areas with direct access onto a really nice clean beach. Very suitable for families and the old town of San Juan is only a fairly short taxi ride with taxis located on a rank right outside the hotel

We stayed for 6 days and thoroughly enjoyed the whole time. Our room had had a great view over the grounds and the ocean, was very comfortably furnished and quiet in the evenings. The staff were very friendly and courteous, attended to all requests immediately and, basically nothing was too much trouble for them. Checking in and out was quick and efficient

Breakfast can be either buffet or a la carte, the buffet has a range of dishes both hot and cold with cereals, fresh fruits, juices etc. There are several restaurants in the hotel itself and
immediately adjacent offering a very good variety of meals. We did not use the casino.

The hotel is very attractively arranged with an attractive lobby and adjacent areas all resulting in a very pleasant atmosphere. Definitely worth visiting.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank your for writing a review about your last stay with us. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our location and facilities. We are happy to know that you liked our property and we look forward to welcoming you during your next visit to the Island!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I spent 2 days/nights at this hotel and highly suggest anyone visiting San Juan to stay at the Intercontinental. The entire staff from the bell hops to the valet to the front desk were beyond friendly and professional. I felt like a VIP the entire time and was amazed by how warmly I was treated. Two thumbs up and they have a guest for life in me.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MG122014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the InterContinental San Juan! We are glad to read that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our service levels. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our staff and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have been going to this property before it was even the Intercontinental, for about 35 years. Always looked forward to it. Have annual conferences there with The Statewide latino and Puerto Rican Legislatures and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of NY. Always looked forwarded to my trips in April as well. Probably will never go back. I play in this casino 3x a year nightly for usually 10-15 days straight. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars there and didn't mind because I had fun. I started playing in the casino on this trip, April 19th from 6pm until closing 3:30 am every night until May 3rd. On May 2nd I asked for a complimentary drink and was given a check for $24. I asked the waitress to tell the manager to comp it she told me they won't. I told her to ask anyway. The floor person Marisol said no problem and didn't have me pay the check. The next day I ask for my cash back and noticed that $24 had been taken out of my account without me authorizing it and I asked why. I was told that should not have happened and was given my $24. The thought of them taking my money without me knowing outraged me. I asked Aly Salinas why I couldn't get a comp drink, he replied "because you are at the poker table and poker players have to pay". I told him that he knows me for years and that I am not just a poker player. I told him that he knows I am a machine and table player and that a proper judgement call should be made because of that. He pointed to my cash back voucher and replied " if you want a drink,take it out of there". I said you must be nuts and with his nasty condescending tone he continued to tell me no. This man is arrogant and nasty and no one likes him. He stands around like he is a correction officer and jumps at customers for any little thing. Rules are to be enforced but there is a professional way of doing it. In addition, because there were cheaters found in the game several months ago we are no longer permitted to eat at the table, which is insane. I play in casinos in many different states and am given a 30 -45 minute period to go eat a meal if we choose not to eat at the table. When we want to go eat at this Casino we are told to eat our meal in 10 minutes or our seat will be given away. That is not even healthy!! There is no bad without good. Freddie Figueroa and Marisol go out of their way to make the players happy. If it wasn't for those two there probably wouldn't be any regular customers. They are great. The valet and bell hop guys are outstanding also. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Diane G

Thank you for choosing to stay at the InterContinental San Juan. Thank you very much for your positive feedback about Marisol and Freddie; we greatly appreciate your kind words about them. Nevertheless, we would like to apologize on behalf of the InterContinental San Juan and our team for your experience at the casino during your stay. It concerns us deeply to learn that the service delivered did not reflect the service levels we aim for. We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department, which always welcomes suggestions for improvement.

Again, we extend our apologies and invite you to contact us directly at icsanjuan@ihg.com as we would like an opportunity to gather more details of the challenges you experienced and do what it takes to earn your future loyalty. It is our sincere hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations on a future visit.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

My husband, a close friend and I just spent several days at this hotel. It s a beautiful property and the staff and service were exceptional. My husband is disabled and the manager, Carlos Rincon, and guest relations managers, Irene Perez Cuetara and Edgard Santiago went above and beyond in ensuring that all of his needs were met and that we had a comfortable and wonderful stay. In addition, when we accidentally left a jacket in the cab to the hotel, William Cruz of the bell staff actually went to the airport, found the cab driver and retrieved the jacket. Everyone from the pool staff to the young ladies serving breakfast and at cocktail time in the club area to Monica Rodriguez who served us food and drinks at the pool were terrific. We are looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Club rooms include complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. We are delighted to read your great comments about our staff and our property. Please rest assured that we will pass on your compliments to Carlos, Irene and Edgard. Comments as yours motivate us to work harder in order to deliver the service levels that our guests are looking for. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary in San Juan, Puerto Rico and chose the InterContinental because of the reviews on beach quality and accessibility. We were "wowed" the moment we arrived by the tropical foliage and flowers at the entrance. Check in was quite smooth and we were offered advice and assistance on local restaurants. My "elite" status with this hotel group also gained us an ocean view room with a balcony. But this was just the beginning. After check in we went out to stroll on the beach and enjoy the sunset, then decided to grab a bite at the outdoor grill bordering the beach. The shrimp kabobs were absolutely delicious, a nice surprise given the informality of the beach-front grill. On return to the room, a bottle of champagne and some beautiful chocolate covered strawberries awaited us. The manager had made a special effort to remember this occasion for us. Sunrise, another stroll on the beach and a wonderful breakfast marked the end of our stay and we reluctantly had to say goodbye. I cannot say enough about the friendliness of the staff, the sheer beauty of the grounds, the service and quality of the property. I hope we can return soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank William B

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our property. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our service levels. We've already shared your experience with our team and we truly appreciate that you positive feedback. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Very nice hotel. Unfortunately spoilt by desk staff both day and night. This hotel was booked months prior to arrival with a request for a bedroom above 7th floor because we were aware of below there is no view either staff quarters or roofs. Arrived late because of delayed flight allocated room on 4th floor told the night clerk what had been requested he informed us that this room was different and looked over the pool, so accepted this unfortunately it was very dark so could not see from the balcony. So went to bed woke opened the curtains and our view was a dirty green roof and staff quarters. I went down to the desk to find the same staff member on duty i told him that he did not tell us the truth about the view he said have a look it shows pool view i tried to look but he pulled the computer screen away, I told him that i wished to complain he then became very rude repeating " Go away have a nice day" Later returned to speak to manager a female who we found out later was not manager at all who explained we would have our room changed later that day with a nice view so accepted this. Went to our room later on the 6th floor and yes better view if you call large trees about 10feet from the balcony and if you stood on the edge of balcony and strand you could see the restaurant roof, by this time we gave up but only staid one more night. Found out later all floors above 7 are kept for American visitors and below for business meeting clients and others

Absolute shame because beautiful hotel but very expensive

Room Tip: Ask for room above floor 7
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for posting a review about your last stay at our property. We are very disappointed to hear that your stay was not to your entire satisfaction. Please accept our apologies if you were not provided with the right information about room assignment, as the room assigned depends on the category you booked and any special request is subject to availability.

We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations this time and we would love you to give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at icsanjuan@ihg.com, so we can ensure a more comfortable stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
#3 of 13 in Isla Verde
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!