“Everything we hoped for!” 5 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Everything we hoped for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We spent six nights here to relax away from the frigid northeast, as 1st time visitors to Isla Verde. The beach is terrific (and not nearly as crowded as San Juan Resort a few buildings east) with some waves and great for swimming, sunbathing, and walking.

Cushioned loungers for guests were a bonus; umbrellas at $10 a day from hotel staff were plentiful at least before 10 am. Security is excellent re. access back into the hotel property via wristbands issued with towel pick-up at the pool. A couple of days it was a little windy. Noise from jet take-offs did not seem that frequent and was not a big deal for us.

We arrived early mid-day and our room was available; minor inconvenience when we discovered it was 2 queens, rather than a king as we had reserved, but that was taken care of after only a little persistence. We were in the club section and enjoyed the room size, and comfy mattress. The bathroom had not been renovated but was fine for us (even though the sink area showed signs of previous patching); plush towels, along with robes and slippers, are a nice touch.

We enjoyed the club section's extensive continental breakfast and then numerous hors d'oeuvres with wine and beer at hand from 5 to 7 pm: coffee, tea and fruit throughout the day. Not the Ritz but very good.

The staff members were welcoming, friendly and helpful!

As others have noted, there are plenty of restaurant options on site, as well as nearby, plus a market, and many fast food places across the street and Walgreen's a couple of blocks away.

All in all, it was just what we wanted (and had a good rate that included ample buffet breakfast, which we did not really need given the club room).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ABS40

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Finnish first
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Phenomenal, beautiful, dream come true hotel!! This trip was to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and I waited 25 years for my husband to take me somewhere nice and so I wanted this hotel to be exceptional! It was more than exceptional, it really was a fantasy come true!! Thank you to the hotel for putting us in room 1618 which was the highest, most centered room and it looked directly at the ocean!! I was able to lay on the incredibly comfortable king size bed and stare out at the ocean and fall asleep to the waves and frogs, which was also my fantasy to do! The room was huge, everything you could possibly want, also a very special thank you to Irene, Karoline and Jennifer for sending up champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to celebrate our 25th!! Also wanted to buy a mug with "Intercontinental Hotel" on it but they didn't have any so Irene sent me a really nice bag and ear buds, thank you!! Seriously, I felt like a princess there, thank you again to Irene, Karoline, Jennifer, Julien, Jose, Luis, Emily and others treated us like we were royalty and I'm not kidding. It was the most beautiful hotel I have ever seen or stayed at. The grounds and beach were immaculate and breathtaking, the beach chairs were the most comfortable beach chairs I ever laid on! Also unbelievably, they are free,as well as the ice cold fruited water, the sun tan lotion, I can't say enough about this hotel, thank you Intercontinental for making this a dream come true for us!! The best coconut drinks were the "coconut sangria" at Platos, the "coco-loco" at La Playita, and the best "cafe con leche" was across the street at the 24 hr market. The only bad thing about our whole trip was taking the bus to Old San Juan. DO NOT TAKE THE BUS IF YOU HAVE BACK/NECK PROBLEMS!! We took the bus since we were told it was only 75 cents and thought it was a great deal but had to sit in the very back of the bus which was the bumpiest and every time the bus would hit the speed bumps ( huge speed bumps that the driver flew over) we would fly mid-air and it was very hard on a person like me with back/neck issues, so I wish I was warned about that bus, I would of gladly paid the 21 dollars to Old San Juan by taxi to save my back/neck. That was the only bad issue and it had nothing to do with the hotel, I just told Nestor at the concierge to warn people for now on, especially to not sit at the very back of the bus,!!

Room Tip: 1618!! fantasy come true!!
1 Thank jcellgirl
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I am a fan of most of the Intercontinental hotels in which I've stayed, and this one was no exception. Beautiful lobby with gorgeous bar as you walk in, and just outside you can see a fire pit, which is beautiful. The hotel has a casino, which is not as elaborate or extensive as the El San Juan close by, but it is fine. There are a number of restaurant options in the hotel, including among others Japanese, Italian, and the Ruth's Chris Steak House. Rooms were clean, comfortable and fairly 'roomy.' Good location in Isla Verde. Staff was attentive; I would definitely stay here again..!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I ve been coming to this hotel for over 20 yrs as a Flight Attendant. Today I met a Super,Dynamic Bartender by the name if Rafael Rodriguez. He is a great asset to this establishment. I'm glad you have people like Rafael. Kodos. Edwin & Pedro. The hotel has changed a 360 degrees in hotel hospitality.The Art Deco rooms are spectacular. The Staff are Energetic and Professional. This Hotel has become a Icon. I will recommend this Intercontinental to all our passengers aboard our flights.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Papisoy
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I visited Puerto Rico for our first time. Could not have asked for a better place! EVERYONE that we encountered including guests and especially the staff were SOOO friendly. Any concern we had was immediately addressed in our favor. I cannot express the gratitude I had for the assistants we had with our luggage and the door men ! The charisma and character they carry amongst each other with high respect and manners towards every guest who entered was amazing ! We would highly recommend this place! Not to mention the awesome pool and beach ! Actually we decided to visit here every year! Rebooking when we get back to the states ! God Bless :)

• Stayed February 2014
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I am partial to the Intercontinental as we first stayed here, newly married, when it was The Americana. Upgrades and redecorated over the years, still the same great food, rooms and beach! Near the airport, second only in lush greenery to The Rain Forest. Be sure to visit the Forest during your stay.

Right ON the beach, right AT your door. Sand is good for walking and building and food and drinks are available at the pool and the beach. Lounge chairs, umbrellas and towels supplied at no charge. The pool has a swim-up bar.

Three restaurants on site for your dining pleasure but be sure to visit other places nearby for a dinner or two. There are taxis in front always and if you wish to spend time in Old San Juan, a bus passes by going to OSJ for a fare of SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS! I cannot sit down in a taxi at home for less than $2.75.

There is a casino in house but a larger, more active casino is next door at the El San Juan hotel and everyone walks there. Even the elderly couples are safe at night. Security is always on duty. Isla Verde is a safe area in every respect. Also, if you need more nightlife than the Intercontinental offers you'll also find it next door.

Have a Great Time!!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. If none is available offer a $20 bill and you will be amazed how quickly...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Esther G
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed 3 nights and was deeply disappointed in the quality of the accommodations The building is old-looks like it was built in the 50's.

The positives - lobby is modern and well appointed, clean and airy. The pool area is also clean, though pool service scanty and it is hard to find waiters for drinks/food etc. Basically you have to go to the bars for service. The waitress at the pool café were very nice. The club lounge was well appointed and continental breakfasts and cocktail hour offered enough variety.

The check-in process is a nightmare if you come during the weekends. Cannot speak for weekdays. If you arrive early do not expect to check in early. The front desk-full of attitude-will tell you unapologetically that they will call you when room is ready. They will not give you an estimate. Even though we told by the manager Edgar that check in was at 4 pm , by 4:30 the front desk's only curt response was "we will call you." Only after I insisted on speaking to the manager and showed my displeasure did a room materialize. He did comp us a late check out and a free breakfast but I wonder if he gave us the darkest, most dated room in the hotel as a compensation. (More about accommodations below) Funny, every day we saw hoards of arrivals waiting to check in that entire weekend, guests with winter travel gear waiting in lobbies and restaurants at 5-6 pm. So much for timely check ins. It's a racket and the front desk could care less that they don't have enough housekeeping to get guests into their rooms on time.

We stayed in the Club section thinking the rooms would be nicer. The rooms looked onto the pool area, or their "garden" view. Our room had a huge concrete column that obstructed all views and made the room feel as if it was a cave, Never saw sun light even in the middle of the day. The rooms are not updated, old brown rugs, heavy dark furniture, but tolerable. The bathrooms however were a DISGRACE. The website had pictures of modern bathrooms that do not even remotely look like the ones in the rooms. When I entered the room I asked the bell hop if I got an unrenovated room and he sworn that the room was renovated. The bathroom looked as if it hasn't been updated in decades-broken pink counters, mold on tiles, cheap re-grouting, cabinets made of brown painted plywood and plastic faux molding with paint OR TOOTHPASTE stains. I could not touch anything and essentially stayed out of the room except to shower and sleep. Intercontinental should be ashamed to affix their name on such rooms.

I have never stayed in an Intercontinental, but rooms are no better than a 2 star hotel. I don't know if the rest of the rooms in this hotel are so dated, but guest should be aware. Will not return.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Club room 122-Dark, Veranda obstructed by large concrete column, bathroom looks like...
2 Thank Calvin S
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your detailed review about your last stay with us. Please accept my apologies on behalf of our team for the challenges you faced. I completely regret that your stay with us was not to your entire satisfaction.

I apologize the front desk service you received was not up to par. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. I will make sure that your feedback will be reviewed and be forwarded to the appropriate departments. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

We would love you give us another chance to serve you in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at icsanjuan@ihg.com if you might reconsider staying with us, so we can ensure you a more comfortable stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,548 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!