“Long weekend with friends in San Juan”

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampa, Florida
“Long weekend with friends in San Juan”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This trip was a a long weekend getaway with friends in the 30-31 age group, and included a birthday celebration. During our stay, the hotel was undergoing renovations, but we heard minimal noise related to the construction work. The property is beautiful and has direct beach access. When you go out to the pool area for the day, you receive a bracelet which allows you to gain access to the hotel's beachfront area as well as access back to the hotel's poolside area. Beach towels and lounge chairs are provided at the beachfront area by hotel staff. The security is great, so only hotel guests were allowed onto the property from the beach entrance. We were able to rent jet skis at a nearby stand on the beach. The landscaping of the patio/pool area was picturesque. There was also a swim up bar. Members of our travel party arrived and departed at different times, so most of us took a cab from the nearby airport for a flat rate of $15. If you desire to venture off the hotel property, the concierge will gladly call a cab for you and provide directions. We visited Old San Juan and the Bacardi Rum Factory. For evening dining options, there is Japanese steakhouse on the premises, as well as a Ruth's Chris. For more casual dining, there is a Chili's two blocks down from the hotel and of course the poolside bars serve entrees too. This is a great location for relaxation and is reasonably priced. I recommend this hotel to others looking to stay in the Isla Verde area of San Juan.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelingZestfully

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Finnish first
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Before you understand why I was disappointed with my stay, you have to know it cost $300/night and with taxes and hotel fees it cost $400. Obviously, my wife and I expected a 5-star hotel for $400/night.

When you walk into the lobby and then to the pool area you think you're in a 5-star hotel. They're beautiful and the staff is very helpful. But then you get to the room.

The bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom door had a hole in it. There was something red stained on the floor (hope it wasn't blood). And there was some fluid that had dripped down the bathroom wall and wasn't cleaned. The bathroom has about as much room as an airplane lavatory. I wouldn't complain if this room cost $89/night, but it cost $400!

On top of that someone in a room down the hall had screaming kids who literally kept us up until 2am. It sounded like they were in the room with us. My wife and I have three kids ages 4 and under so we're not anti-kid. We're just anti-paper thin walls that allow you to hear kids in another room down the hall. Also, the in-room refrigerator was extremely loud. That created another barrier to sleep. We unplugged it.

Again, the pool and beach area are perfect. The only problem was having to pay $10 to use a hotel umbrella at the beach. Did I mention we paid $400/night for the room? I figured a beach umbrella was an amenity that was included for that rate.

Overall, the staff was kind, the public areas are beautiful and inviting, the location is perfect, but the room definitely makes this an overpriced hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ciscanna
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear ciscanna, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are glad to know that you liked our staff and our public areas. Nevertheless, it is very disappointing to know that you faced some challenges at your room. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this might have caused you and I completely regret that this has impacted your stay negatively.

Your comments about your stay have been share with our team in order to identify areas of improvement. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations this time and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you in the future.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here for a short vacation, the property is gorgeous, the staff was great, very kind! Special thanks to the concierge, I can't remember his name, but he was esplendid!
The view from the room was just amazing!
One tip for the management-change the pictures on your web site!! They look horrible (from the pictures you can expect an average hotel) but the property is fenomenal! We booked just 3 nights because we thought that the hotel is cheap because it is not updated, based on pictures! However-I was very positively surprised! Breakfast was also great!
Highly recommend the property!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a rooms facing water! The view is fenomenal if you are on a high floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MonikaNici1988
Dalton, Georgia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I booked this hotel on hotwire for one night prior to a cruise, Then I read the reviews on tripadvisor and was worried about our upcoming stay. I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel was very beautiful, The pool area was very upscale. Our room had a king size bed, sofa, coffee table and desk with chair, The room was very clean and had been recently remodeled. Great convenient location, The entire staff was courteous and friendly. Would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Had a king bed on front side of hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We arrived at midnight and checked out by 1100 am. It was a great facility good resaurants great location to airport. Didn't hear any airplane or anything else for that matter. we were even close to the elevators and didn't hear anything. was concerned that it was a "casino" too since we were traveling with children but it wasn't even noticeable. It was great having avis car rental right there. Made our trip very smooth. awesome beach and pool. There was a lot of seaweed the first 5-10 feet of the ocean but it was clear after that. nice walking beach and lounge chairs. Security good. Felt safe. There was always one or 2 employees at the beach gate. The only thing I would do differently was not eat the breakfast buffet. Way too expensive for what we ate. The food was good but not worth the price. My daughter had a bowl of fruit and they charged her the full buffet price. It was $135 for 5 breakfasts. We should have just ordered off the menu or got something on our way to the rainforest. lots of little cafes near the rainforest.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sandandwater
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The property and grounds surrounding the hotel are beautiful. Lush foliage, beach is nice, pool and hot tub are well maintained. They are updating other areas of the hotel. Steps were being retiled, entrance area was being painted. The decor is lovely. The service is where it gets just an average rating. Some of the doormen were awesome, some didn't even open doors. Some of the front desk staff were engaging and friendly, others just didn't seem to care. For an Intercontinental I thought the service aspect would be much better. The beach bar menu and the pool menu were different. We preferred the food by the pool. The water and drinks from the pool bar had an off-putting taste. We didn't notice the same from the beach bar? We even drank tap water in our rooms and it tasted fine. The pool bar water tasted tainted. Two mornings in a row we were woken up by men in rooms up and down the hall checking into renovations. We also were not given new toiletries when the ones we used were emptied. Drinks and food were pricey but the convenience was perhaps worth it. There are many food choices within the surrounding resorts and the local choices up and down the street. We walked at night on the beach side and the street side and felt completely safe.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear joburkholder1,

Thank you for the candid review of our property as this will guide us in making the right decisions. It is nice to know that you liked the surrounding of our hotel. On the other hand, please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wayzata
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at this property 3 nights for a business trip.

Positive:
The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. I didn't use the pools but they looked clean and nicely landscaped. The beach was steps away from the pool and looked lovely. Breakfast buffet was included in my corporate rate and was nice good - the usual (eggs, bacon, cereals, toast, juices etc.) plus made-to-order omlettes and a couple of rotating hot dishes such as plantains, corn meal (like oatmeal). The only downside was that the fruit was left uncovered and there were little bugs flying around it.

The staff at the car valet and the business center were great and went out of their way to be helpful and friendly.

I ate at the Italian restaurant and outdoor bar - both were good and average hotel prices. The fig and goat cheese pizza at the bar was really good!

Not so positive:
Other than the valet and business center, overall service was spotty and generally disengaged. When we checked in, my colleague asked what options there were for outdoor dining. The employee waved in the general direction of the outside but didn't offer any specifics. The room service menu was missing from my room and had to be requested. The shampoo and conditioner in my bathroom was never replaced during my 3 days there, even though there were empty bottles lying on their side in the shower. I saw one of the housekeepers outside of the room next door and asked for a replacement but it did not appear. Also, I switched rooms when I first arrived (to an ocean rather than street view). I left my robe hanging in the first room and was unable to get it back for the next three days - I still don't have it! I called soon after I realized I forgot it (on Day One) and was told it would be delivered to my room. I was in the room for about 45 minutes but it never arrived. The next day, I asked the employee at the Lobby to have it delivered as I would be out of the hotel in meetings all day. She indicated that it would have to be delivered when I was there but I should check when I return. I did ask again later that day and they again said it would be delivered. I was in my room for about an hour again but it never arrived. I asked multiple different people working at the front desk to simply have it dropped off in my room while I was out. Each time I was met with bureaucratic responses that I had to be present to retrieve it. Seriously? It was an inexpensive robe not a diamond ring. It was frustrating that no one was empowered to make the judgment call (after my 3rd request) to just leave it in my room for me.

The room itself was nice but as other reviewers mentioned the bathroom is very small and needs updating. Each room has a balcony but they are small and there is no furniture out there.

Airplane noise from the airport close by wasn't too noticeable. The area of Isla Verde (on the street side) was fairly run-down with quite a few closed store fronts. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around the area. The hotel parking lot is across the street and a bit of a walk to the hotel entrance but valet is available and I didn't have any trouble retrieving my car.

The ocean/pool view is far superior to the lagoon view (which is what they call the from of the hotel view, and looks down at a busy street and parking lot).

Overall not terrible but not great. I'd probably stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cfran123
Dear cfran123,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online and for choosing our hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered especially with the issue on the robe. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as this matter will be checked. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!