I stayed at this property 3 nights for a business trip.
The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. I didn't use the pools but they looked clean and nicely landscaped. The beach was steps away from the pool and looked lovely. Breakfast buffet was included in my corporate rate and was nice good - the usual (eggs, bacon, cereals, toast, juices etc.) plus made-to-order omlettes and a couple of rotating hot dishes such as plantains, corn meal (like oatmeal). The only downside was that the fruit was left uncovered and there were little bugs flying around it.
The staff at the car valet and the business center were great and went out of their way to be helpful and friendly.
I ate at the Italian restaurant and outdoor bar - both were good and average hotel prices. The fig and goat cheese pizza at the bar was really good!
Not so positive:
Other than the valet and business center, overall service was spotty and generally disengaged. When we checked in, my colleague asked what options there were for outdoor dining. The employee waved in the general direction of the outside but didn't offer any specifics. The room service menu was missing from my room and had to be requested. The shampoo and conditioner in my bathroom was never replaced during my 3 days there, even though there were empty bottles lying on their side in the shower. I saw one of the housekeepers outside of the room next door and asked for a replacement but it did not appear. Also, I switched rooms when I first arrived (to an ocean rather than street view). I left my robe hanging in the first room and was unable to get it back for the next three days - I still don't have it! I called soon after I realized I forgot it (on Day One) and was told it would be delivered to my room. I was in the room for about 45 minutes but it never arrived. The next day, I asked the employee at the Lobby to have it delivered as I would be out of the hotel in meetings all day. She indicated that it would have to be delivered when I was there but I should check when I return. I did ask again later that day and they again said it would be delivered. I was in my room for about an hour again but it never arrived. I asked multiple different people working at the front desk to simply have it dropped off in my room while I was out. Each time I was met with bureaucratic responses that I had to be present to retrieve it. Seriously? It was an inexpensive robe not a diamond ring. It was frustrating that no one was empowered to make the judgment call (after my 3rd request) to just leave it in my room for me.
The room itself was nice but as other reviewers mentioned the bathroom is very small and needs updating. Each room has a balcony but they are small and there is no furniture out there.
Airplane noise from the airport close by wasn't too noticeable. The area of Isla Verde (on the street side) was fairly run-down with quite a few closed store fronts. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around the area. The hotel parking lot is across the street and a bit of a walk to the hotel entrance but valet is available and I didn't have any trouble retrieving my car.
The ocean/pool view is far superior to the lagoon view (which is what they call the from of the hotel view, and looks down at a busy street and parking lot).
Overall not terrible but not great. I'd probably stay somewhere else next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beachfront InterContinental San Juan is located on Isla Verde and is a great setting for both business and pleasure. With the best sparkling beach of the area, perfect weather, amazing restaurants, natural beauty, fun and adventure, sizzling nightlife and great shopping your stay will sure be a memorable one. San Juan International airport is just three miles away. Conducting business is a breeze and it's easy to balance with pleasure. During the day, your group can enjoy our flexible meeting spaces and executive breakout rooms. Our team of experts will orchestrate the finer points, while you sit back in pampered elegance. Old San Juan and the main financial and business districts are just 15 minutes away. Nature lovers will not want to miss El Yunque Rain Forest, The Rio Camuy Caves or the Bioluminescent Bay. Free children (under 16 years old) and free Wi-Fi are just a few of the perks. Do more than just visit an exotic place - immerse yourself in it. Stay at InterContinental San Juan and allow us to pamper you with our warm hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental San Juan Hotel Isla Verde
- Intercontinental San Juan Resort And Casino
- InterContinental San Juan Puerto Rico/Isla Verde