“Perfect relaxation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
West Lebanon, NH
“Perfect relaxation”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I need sunshine in December living in northern New England. My husband and I just wanted a few days on the beach... usually when we travel we explore, but this trip of five days was for for pure relaxation.. we were a little worried with some of the previous reviews, but we are locked in being IHG Platinum members. Everything was fantastic, service was amazing, rooms were clean, property was fun and clean. Drinks and food were expensive, but there is a great 24 hr grocery/ liquor store across the street. We got upgraded to an ocean view, which was great. The bathroom was tiny- fine for my husband and me, but if I had gone with some girlfriends, it would have been very tight. Great Puerto Rican restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isoldt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Often times when I see a one star review for a hotel it pertains to an isolated event – a specific experience with the service, the room – and I think as long as I don’t have that same issue, the hotel could be great. While there were specific events that resulted in the one star rating I am giving for Intercontinental, the biggest overall deficiency of this hotel lies with the service. And that’s a big issue in the world of hospitality. As I have already shared with two managers at the property, the service at this hotel is unacceptable. I have experienced better service at budget hotels in worse parts of the world.

I’ll start with the pros of this hotel. It’s on the beach and many of the hotels in San Juan are not on the beach. The pool and Jacuzzi facilities are nice, as is the lobby. However, there is a very big disconnect between the appearance of the lobby and what’s reality for the rooms. The rooms are worn and in dire need of renovation. This is a three star property at best with one star customer service. The exception to the service being the gentleman at the front of the hotel opening doors – they are kind and consistently pleasant. The women, all of them, working the front desk need to go back to hospitality 101 training. The overall attitude, as I shared with the managers, is they simply do not care. And this has been acknowledged with many other reviewers of this hotel.

We attempted to check in a little early after a very long flight. There were no rooms available but we were to be called on the phone as soon as a room became available. Never received a call so we went back an hour after check in time. Room was disappointingly small and certainly not worth the rate we paid for our two night stay. On our second evening, I attempted to take a shower at 10:00 pm and the water was cold. I called down to the front desk and was told they would “look into it” and get back to me. An hour passes and I don’t receive a call. I call back down and the front desk tells me there’s nothing wrong with the hot water heater. Ok, there’s nothing wrong with it. But my water is still cold. I’m told again they would look into it and get back to me. Another hour passes and I decide to go downstairs and speak with them in person. I stand in line for 20 minutes. Gal at the front desk is rude and tells me again there’s nothing wrong with the water heater. It’s midnight and I’m tired and irate. I speak with the manager and he tells me he’s sending an engineer up to my room. He also tells me that he’ll deduct our extra person fee for the inconvenience (this is after I insisted on some kind of compensation for the ridiculousness). Fortunately, the water is hot by the time I make it back up to my room. An engineer never comes by. The next morning I get the printout for the bill and the extra person fee is still on my bill. I call down to the front desk and am told that all of the managers are in a meeting and when I check out I need to speak with a manager. Again. And maybe I can wait another 20 minutes.

By this point I’ve had enough of this pathetic hotel. I do speak with another manager at check out and she removes the fee and assures me it’s “more than fair” for my experience. Absolutely not. I give her the opportunity to reconcile the horrific experience we have had at the hotel and am told repeatedly that there’s nothing she can do. What Intercontinental does not understand is that they are in an incredibly competitive business and we (travelers) have many, many choices. They clearly don’t give a hoot about ensuring customer satisfaction. We paid a premium for this hotel and they could not deliver on the bare basics. The manager gave me her card and told me to get in touch with her the next time we decide to stay there and she’ll make sure we’re taken care of. A room with hot water? Friendly, professional customer service from the front desk? Prompt attention with serious issues? We would be fools to return. I look forward to the cut and paste response that the PR firm for Intercontinental will post in response to this.

Stay somewhere else folks, there are better options at better prices.

4 Thank Melissa M
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Melissa M. thank for your feedback about your recent stay at our property. Please accept our apologies for the challenges you faced and for not meeting your expectations this time. It is our goal to deliver a memorable experience and it is very disappointing to see that in some point we failed in doing so.

I apologize on behalf of our team for the delay in giving you your room and the inconvenience with the hot water. After we read your comments we started and internal investigation to gather more details about your case. One of our findings was that the phone number on your reservation appears as out of service and may be because of this you never received a call to inform you that your room was ready. We finally got another phone number, and the person who answered our call provided us your contact information. Our Guest Experience Manager, Ms. Montoya, called you and left a voicemail with her phone number. Please feel free to contact Ms. Montoya also at Karoline.montoya@ihg.com as she can solve any doubt you might have.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to listening from you soon.
Ontario
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed one night at the resort. When we arrived early, our room was not ready, as expected, they offered to store the luggages for us then take them up to our room when it's ready.
The bell boy suggested a few nice local restaurants and their famous local dish we must try. Our room was ready when we came back from our meal and we had our bags delivered to the room. The room was clean, but not fancy. After we settled down we took our 6 year old daughter to the pool for a swim. Later that night we didn't want to leave the resort so we ordered room service. They offered us soft drinks on the house. The food was very good and tasty. The next day we headed to the beach which is right by the resort. The view was great and our daughter had a blast. I went to a staff member and asked for some sand toys, and he said he would bring it to us. Minutes later he came with a bucket of toys for my daughter. The overall experience at the resort was good. The building was a bit older and the pool could be a bit cleaner. The service from the staff makes up for the dated property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear dreamvacationer, thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our service levels and we greatly appreciate your kind words about our staff.

We regret that you have found dated our facilities as we have been working on some enhancements to our property such as the elevators, guestrooms, lobby bar and meeting spaces. To this respect, please rest assured that your comments have been shared with our management team which always is open to listen to guests’ experiences and learn from them.

Thank you again for your valuable comments about our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you and your family very soon!
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Well kept property with very accommodating staff. We left the safe and closet open one day and returned to find the room cleaned but everything in the safe untouched. All staff was very knowledgeable of the area and went out of their way to make sure our time in Puerto Rico exceeded our expectations. We were greeted by David Rasario who took the time to give us directions for all our needs and made several good recommendations. We ended up renting a car and hiring David for the day to tour the island. Don't miss the Rio Camuy caves and Ponce. All in all, a great vacation.

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms are actually a view of the city street - go for ocean view! Enjoy the songs of the Coqu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've stayed at the Intercontinental twice; in March and in June. The service was remarkable both times. I love how close the beach is, and the jacuzzi by the pool is really nice. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are very clean. Isla Verde is safe and has plenty things to do and places to eat. And Old San Juan is just a $1-2 bus ride away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cory P
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was a first time Christmas getaway for our family. It is a beautiful property on the beach and our ocean view room was spacious and clean. The staff is most welcoming, gracious and accommodating. They truly focus on serving their guests with excellence! We really enjoyed the delicious daily brunch to get our day started and a glass of wine/ice coffee in the evening to get us ready for fun in the hotel casino (as well as the Coquito samples in the lobby nightly). Lots of options for day trip excursions in Old San Juan or El Yunque or just beach activities and exploring nearby. It was a wonderful family friendly trip ~ we all had a great time! On Christmas Day, the hotel left a bottle of Coquito (Puerto Rican coconut styled egg nog!) in our room! Muchas gracias to our housekeeper and Santa's helper, Georgina Villa! Even though there was a language barrier, she communicated from her heart! We really enjoyed our stay!

Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed a night here and a few nights in San Juan Viejo at Hotel El Convento - My opinion may be colored by how wonderful Hotel El Convento was, but this place also just seemed sort of lifeless for a resort. I stayed on La Noche de San Juan Baptista, so the beach itself had quite a party in the evening, but the hotel stayed sleepy, the food and drinks was less than stellar, and only the pool was at all memorable.

Rooms were decent, beach was good for a lounge in the sun, but definitely nothing here for solo travelers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tea01
Dear Tea01, thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are very disappointed to see that your last stay was not the one you expected.

We would love to have the pleasure to welcome you again, as since your stay in June we have done some enhacements to our property which include newly remodeled guest rooms, meeting spaces and lobby bar. This last one has two ambiences where you can have a drink either inside the lobby or al fresco. Also, Latin Live music on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at the lobby lounge will enhance the experience of being at the Caribbean.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!