“Not my cup of tea”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Southern Maine
“Not my cup of tea”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This Hampton Inn, chosen for me by my company, is located very close to the airport in San Juan, and for me, that was about the only thing that worked. My room overlooked the infamous cockfighting ring, and overall just felt worn and a little seedy. Fabric on the chair in the room was old-looking and I did not trust its cleanliness so I avoided it. The bathroom was just ok clean: I now always wipe surfaces with a handiwipe and so therefore removed the spot of blood on the toilet seat on my own. Ugh.
The bed was good, but with those extra squashy feather pillows which are, for me, useless. There was a lot of noise in the hallway so I had to keep the fan on all night to get some sleep. In defense of the hotel: I did not make an attempt to see if there were other options and, out of sheer boredom with the whole thing, I did not report my concerns about cleanliness, so the hotel did not have a chance to move me to what perhaps might have been a better room. I just decided to leave two days early and cut my losses.
The pool is, as others have reported, very small and was filled with little children so I did not go in. I did enjoy a pretty delicious cheeseburger at the grill by the pool, and as others have mentioned, the manager's "happy hour", available 5-7 p.m. M-F was quite generous...if you wanted to, it appeared you could go back and have as many drinks as you could in that time frame. Snacks were icky--liquid cheese from a machine with tortilla chips. I also hoofed it down to Mi Casita for a take out meal, which is always pretty tasty.
Maria at the front desk is very friendly, and the lobby is pretty. Breakfast was exactly what one gets at a Hampton; I can usually make it work by having the oatmeal and/or cereal and juice.
Overall, because I know there are better options in the area (I love the Embassy Suites), I would not stay here again. That said, the price for the room was on par with the quality and it might work just fine for someone else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Chicago, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The good things are: the hotel is very clean and the decor is very pleasant. The proximity to the beautiful Isla Verde beach is great. Now, breakfast is very good but very crowded. Plan to get there earlier than late. The internet in the suite won't work in the room were the bed is. I was told over the phone that the rollaways are complimentary, but they're $20/night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel is near of historical places, airport, restaurants, shopping malls, casinos and more. It is a small cozy hotel... what I love ...you feel like at home. And the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly specially Caroline who made our stay a blast. We made reservations to celebrate our anniversary and decide to bring the kids last minute. She made everything possible and went above and beyond to accommodate us. So at the end we had the best family vacations before back to school. Thank you Coraline ... Thank you Hampton Inn.

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Every one is very nice here. Just need to clean the rooms better, there are some marks on he wall and they need to dust vacum and dust the room more often. Breakfast is good. The rooms are good size and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank maytesd1
Louisville, United States
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Clean and comfortable - with the added bonus of delicious food cooked at a grill poolside! Great place to stay for an early morning flight the next day. Parking is somewhat limited but we had no problems finding a spot. The decor in the lobby and common area is beautiful and the rooms are very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

1 Thank Candace M
BAYAMON, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Excellent place to stay with your family. The pool have a great pool bar and grill and also a clean water. The free breakfast was excellent every day, also in the afternoon have free drinks and snacks every day. My experience in the Hampton Inn Isla Verde on San Juan Puerto Rico was great, I invite you to stay.

1 Thank Jose M
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was in this hotel July 2013 for 1 day before I checked into to an apartment for a month
5 blocks away from there. During that day I observed a very dedicated administration and staff paying careful attention to guests needs especially Maria at the reception desk. She was courteous, very helpful with suggestions and had a very pleasant disposition. The accommodations were excellent. The bed was the best. The pool was nice but not big enough if the hotel has a full house. All in all this is a good deal for the price.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan? Share your experiences!