“Great Service, Great Food, Great Hotel, Great Vacation”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Louisville, KY
“Great Service, Great Food, Great Hotel, Great Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

It was a last minute thing that we decided to go to Puerto Rico. The reviews for this Ritz made me hesitate booking for a little bit. I researched and chose this hotel...and cannot complain! I have stayed at many Ritz (Chicago, Palm Beach, Key Biscayne, Jamaica, New York, etc.) and this is comparable if not better. I am the pickiest of travelers and a hotel has to go out of its way to allow me to give them 5 stars.

Rooms
The rooms were clean, flat screen TVs, big comfy beds. In fact, everytime I would leave the room it would be re-cleaned. We had double bed room on the club level (highly recommended). Yes the hotel is close to the airport but you will not hear them in your room and barely notice anything at the pool (the approach pattern does not take planes over the hotel).

BLT and El Mulino are my two favorite new restaurants. El Mulino was amazing! Best italian hands down and worth every penny. BLT was the same with an amazing steak! Both had magnificent service! The only food that is mediocre is the food by the pool during lunch. They should have a more fresh selection (fresh guacamole, etc.) I notified the chef that they should call the Key Biscayne Ritz for recipe for there burgers. We ate lunch and breakfast everyday at the Club Level Lounge, again I stress to get this you get unlimited drinks.

Casino
This is a great mid-sized casino. Perfect for the ritz. It is very well kept and has great dealers! Carlos, Mimi, etc. are the nicest people you will ever meet and will teach you how to play any game. They have $10 tables penny slots etc. As long as you are seated at a table they will bring you free drinks and a selection of sandwiches. The casino is open 24/7.

Staff
Staff were very good! Always greeted you by name. After everything they gave us they would ask if it was to our satisfaction. If it was not, you would not need to pay. Got a turkey burger by the pool, did not like it, refunded immediately. The staff are willing to go the extra mile to make sure you enjoy your trip. They def. are the best ritz staff I have ever experienced.

Spa
I got a massage. Nothing special.

Pool
Great large pool area. Clean. Always staff there to help.

Beach
Amazing!

Overall
Great hotel. Great time. Disregard all the negative reviews because this hotel is worth it. I am going back next month!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LuxuryReviewer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We visited the Ritz Carlton in San Juan the first of week in January and the first thing we noticed while walking to our room was that the facility was quit old. The lack of meticulous maintenance shows cracks on walls, dirty hallway carpets, and dusty floor boards.
We got an ocean view room with a balcony. The room was clean but there were many thing which were broken, or old. All lamps were missing switches, the in room dining pages were ripped from the book, the shower head was from the 1990s, and the curtains in the room were dusty. The bathroom could also use a new drain, grout, and some deep cleaning.
On a more positive note, the staff was providing excellent customer service as expected.

• Stayed January 2011
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

My husband and I wanted a quick and easy getaway before the holidays and we found it in San Juan. The Ritz was perfect great location, beautiful pool and beach.
Puerto Rico is completely under-rated - We loved it !!

Of course the hotel is expensive its a Ritz, but Walgreens and many other restaurants are walking distance from the hotel if you are looking for something less expensive than the hotels restaurants. Lunch is great at the hotel and so was the service, they are very accomodating.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KCW1
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

We were there from 12/22 to 12/25/2010. We reserved a double bed but did not get one.
We had to sleep in the King bed + sofa bed and a roller bed. They told us next day will be double bed room available for us and asked us to check back around 10AM. We did and they said the room will be ready for us but we have to wait until the room is ready.
We checked back about 5-6 times until 5:30PM then we had our new room. We had wasted one day waiting for the new room besides that everything was good.
The beach staffs' service was excellent. They were always helpful for locating beach chairs and installing the umbrella for you. They served "spring rolls" which were delicious.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Malihousa
charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

One word about this place: Meh. While the Ritz has many great properties, their resort offerings fall woefully short of the level of quality, service & facilities you'd expect from a premium brand.

Billed as a resort, the Ritz San Juan is something in-between a glorified airport hotel and a mid-level beach resort. The clientele was mostly cheesy Jersey types who seemed glad to be overpaying for a mediocre pool, beach & disappointing dining options.

For $1000/night, you can do much better; we originally tried to stay at the St. Regis (Bahia) but the place was fully booked 6 months in advance -- after driving there to play golf one day, I could see why. For the same price, the difference in the 2 "comparable" resorts was staggering. If you're looking for something more in the Four-Seasons-or-better vein, I recommend looking into the St. Regis. Or, if you're looking for a more authentic vacation experience, skip the main island altogether and research some of the more charming options in the nearby islands of Vieques & Culebra.

Negatives aside, the staff at the Ritz was nothing but friendly, helpful & professional. Can't ding them for that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank herringtown
Scarsdale, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

This used to be a wonderful respite, but now it's only average and not worth the premium price tag. The top restaurant, Il Mulino charged $175@ person and was boring! Staff were very accomodating, but the hotel just isn't what a Ritz Carlton should be. We have stayed here in the past & loved it- never again.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank MarieScarsdale_NY
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

Stayed here for a short business trip in early December 2010. I was satisfied with my stay. I arrived at the Ritz early in the day and I extremely exhausted from a few days of back to back travelling. It was earlier than check-in time but the front desk agent quickly worked to find rooms that were ready for myself and my colleague. Despite our early arrival, I entered my room to find a welcome gift on my pillow. The room was clean and modern - nothing jaw dropping, but nice enough. I had a view of the pool -would have preferred a beach view but I didn't pay for/ask for any alternate view so it was fine with me. The concierge was always willing and able to assist with my requests during my stay. The beach access was absolutely wonderful. I didn't check out any of the signature restaurants because I preferred to venture out and get local cuisine, but I did try out the breakfast buffet and it was excellent - great quality, variety, and service.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with my experience. The staff was extremely helpful and service-oriented, and although I was prepared to speak Spanish, seemingly everyone in the hotel spoke English. The location for me was great because it was convenient to the airport without being next door, yet an easy drive over the bridge to the business district. Visiting Old San Juan is fun but it's tough to stay in that area with the small roads and impossible traffic. For my purposes, Carolina was a good homebase to get to everywhere I was going. If you stay here though - unless you plan spend your entire vacation hopping between the beach and the casino (nothing wrong with that!) - you may want to rent a car.

Only other notable point - I got a good rate in December but when planning my next business trip, I was unable to stay here due to the crazy prices. The rate literally increased 1000%, I know we're approaching the high season for Puerto Rico but $2,000 per night is a tad over the top! Hope the rates come down so I can stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,514 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!