“Amazing Hotel, Staff, and Good Times”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Amazing Hotel, Staff, and Good Times”
Reviewed January 23, 2010

After researching for months and reading all reviews, I chose the Ritz Carlton. First let me say what an amazing Hotel, Staff, Pool and Beach. I stayed Jan 16-22, for my 40th birthday upon check in, despite other negative reviews, I was greeted with many smiles and many welcomes. I checked in within 10 minutes of getting to hotel, I booked an ocean front with balcony and requested a upper level, I received probably one of the best views and rooms on the 7th floor. Also upon my friends request since it was my birthday ,champagne was waiting in a "chilled" ice bucket in the room. The hotel staff and housekeepers were also amazing, there was twice daily housekeep, always going out of there way to offer water, towels, and anything else needed.
The Rooms were VERY clean, VERY updated and everything in the room worked, on a bad note the beds wern't the most comfortable, but very neatly kept.
Also reading other reviews regarding pool and beach service, I had no Problem getting anybody to take my order, the pool and beach staff were all very attentive. The beach was ok, clean, staff very willing to get chairs, towels,umbrellas and anything needed but the better beaches are on the western side of the island come to find out. But no problem.
Restaurants: Il Mulino was Fantastic, The staff was incredible, and the food was awesome. BLT also was amazing, the food melted in your mouth all flavors and big porportions big thanks to JOEL he was great. OBG by the pool also had great food and drinks. One thing to keep in mind, Yes everything is expensive at the Ritz but you are on vacation and if you dont have the money to spend dont stay at the Ritz. I had the best experience I could have had staying at this great hotel in Carolina, San Juan
Also regarding the reviews of the Ritz being close to the airport and hearing the airplane noise, not once did I hear any airplane noise inside of the hotel or room, only when I was on the beach or poolside did I hear the planes landing or taking off but it was no big deal.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blondechel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Turkish first
Houston
Reviewed January 20, 2010

For the price and brand of Ritz-Carlton, this particular hotel leaves A LOT to be desired. Staff and service are extremely poor and don't seem to care about feedback or making things better. Location is nice but there needs to be a lot more done to make this a great hotel to experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed January 12, 2010

The hotel itself is beautiful, but there are too many other drawbacks to make the expense of staying at a Ritz worth it.
1. The neighborhood is desolate and quite run down. The hotel sits right at the end of the highway. It's kind of a scary walk to the local pharmacy and there isn't much in the way of restaurants nearby. Be prepared to stay in lockdown at the hotel. Condado is a much better location as there are places to walk around outside the hotels.
2. The staff is very unhelpful and is always looking to make a buck off of you. For example, a simple activity of sitting by the pool turns into a shakedown for a $70 cabana. Another example-I was told that I could check out at 1pm (regular check out is noon. this service is often complimentary at an establishment such as this). Nobody mentions that I'd get charged $250 for this service! Apparently late check out incurs a charge between half and full room rate.
3. At the end of my stay I took a look at my hotel bill and found that I was incorrectly charged for something I did not order. I took it up with the front desk and got a whole bevvy of excuses. "The person who reviews this is not available". "Our system is down". " We cannot get a report" etc. etc. etc. It was obvious that they just wanted me to shut up and go away.
4. The beach is nice, but definitely not serene or private for that matter. The hotel beach is adjacent to a public entrance to the beach. Call me an elitist, but I paid a lot of money to enjoy the serenity of an exclusive, private resort, NOT a public stomping ground.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank judy017
home
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Wow, it's all I can say. If you are expecting top notch service, Ritz Carlton service, this is not the place for you. If you are willing to pay a ton of money for mediocrity. Knock yourself out this is the place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank cayman99
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed January 2, 2010

There was many things about our stay that were very very positive. It really does look exactly like the photos on the website. The staff in Club Lounge was very solicitous. The Club Lounge was well stocked and it provided us with the equivalent of a stocked kitchen and bar from 7 AM to 10 PM. This was a great cost saving compared to buying meals and drinks at the hotel. The setting is gorgeous. The hotel was spotless and for a change everything worked in our two rooms. Walking into the lobby through the front door was breath taking each time. New Years Eve at the small restaurant beach side was memorable. The food, drink, and music was great. The fireworks on the beach was an unexpected plus. The lobby bar occupies a large part of the lobby. It was often filled with happy people chatting, eating and drinking. The location in Isla Verde is very good.

Now for the bad news. One of our two original rooms faced the side of the Club balcony about 20 feet away. Within the first few hours I had people looking in my window. I requested a change from the Club concierge with no result so I presented myself at the front desk, told them what room I was in and they knew immediately what the problem was and moved us to a far better room. I have a good idea... how about not trying to stick someone staying for a week in that crappy room. Getting a beach chair or pool chair and umbrella required rising early and getting downstairs to lay claim to a spot not later than 8 AM. Getting the beach staff to help set up required more patience than should be expected from people paying top dollar at this hotel. They were understaffed and under supplied with chairs and umbrellas. After a couple of days of this nonsense, I started taking the chairs off the pile myself and setting it up. Housekeeping couldn't quite remember to leave us a bath mat and shampoo. The two chain restaurants located at the hotel appear to not understand that guests of the hotel should get first priority in seating. At BLT we were refused reservations at 7 PM and told there was nothing available except 6 PM and 9:30 PM. We finally got a 6:30 slot after the Club concierge called and made a fuss. After arriving we discovered that between 6:30 and 8:30 there were three booths, 3 regular tables and all the high tables unoccupied. While this isn't a RC problem per se, they really need to work out the arrangement better. Did these flaws ruin the vacation? Of course not... I'd stay here again; but at these prices I shouldn't have to assert myself at a luxury resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank baysail
St. Louis
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Keeping it short and sweet -
Loved the hotel - right on the beach!
Loved the jacuzzi - huge!
Loved the breakfast buffet - it was not expensive (under $25/person)
The Spa was great also!

The hotel staff was great. The people in San Juan are great.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
western mass
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Do not even... No beach manager, no chairs no towels, no service, no rooms ready until almost 5 pm. Lovely property with no management. Just try to find someone to talk to and try and make the situation a little better. Impossible - they massively overbooked this week and cannot offer anything like Ritz Carlton service to the guests.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!