“Amazing Stay - Top Notch Service”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Our stay at the Ritz-Carlton, San Juan from June 18th-22nd, 2014 was absolutely amazing from start to finish. We arrived at around 3:00 AM, exhausted after a frustrating day of travel delays and complications, and we were warmly welcomed by the Ritz staff. At such a late (or rather early) hour, it was amazing to note the flurry of silent activity around the hotel. Maitenance workers were buffing the marble floors, tending to flower arrangements, and gererally working to ensure that the hotel was pristine when guests awoke. The desk manager who checked us in, Elliott, was so friendly, pleasant, and understanding as we told him of our travel troubles which included missing luggage. Although none of our travel woes were in any way linked to the Ritz, Elliott offered us complimentary breakfast buffetts and told us that he would send someone up with extra toiletries.

Within minutes of walking into our room, the night housekeeping staff brought us a bag full of toiletries and expressed their regret as to our missing luggage. They also went out of their way to make sure that we had pajamas to sleep in, and they offered to clean the clothes that we were wearing so that we would have fresh attire in the morning. It was so kind and thoughtful (and above and beyond what was expected), that it definitely started our vacation on a very positive note.

Our room itself was pleasant and clean. You can tell it has been renovated, yet it still retains some of the old charming touches such as the marble bathroom floor and granite vanity. The bedding was soft and comfortable. We were on the 5th floor (520) overlooking the front of the property (city view). To our left was a rooftop, but straight ahead was the long driveway lined with palm trees. For the low rate we paid, the room was more than adequate. The housekeeping staff throughout our stay made sure our room was well-stocked and clean.

The grounds and property of the Ritz-Carlton, San Juan are gorgeous. Everything is well maintained and immacuately trimmed. The pool area is stunning. The palm trees, the comfortable chairs and umbrellas, the lion statutes spouting water...it all creates a comfortable yet luxurious setting to relax, sunbathe, swim and enjoy delicious tropical drinks. There were ample pool towels, and refreshing citrus water dispensers througout the area.

The pool/beach bar (Ocean Bar and Grill) was so much fun! The bartenders made excellent drinks and had larger than life personalities. :) The newly renovated setting is beautiful as well, with a modern yet casually breezy feel to it. We had a few appetizers (truffle fries...yum!) but never ordered a full meal there, preferring to eat a big breakfast and dinner rather than lunch. The pool area was well-staffed. Once the servers knew we were there, they were very attentive to our needs (you may, however, have to give a bit of a smile and a waive to have someone come over initially, especially if the pool area is full).

Speaking of full, the hotel was at full capacity for our entire stay (several conventions and weddings), yet it never felt over-crowded. We were always able to find pool/beach chairs...maybe not in prime locations if we slept in, but we were definitely able to find something.

The beach is small but beautiful, and the staff was available to help with setting up umbrellas and towels any time we asked. The sand was kept free of debris, and the area was very clean (which is more than I can say for some of the other hotel beaches that we walked through).

San Juan itself is rather dirty and jumbled, but the moment you step onto the Ritz property it is as if you are in a luxurious little bubble. We would have been happy remaining on Ritz property the entire time, but we had friends staying at a hotel down the road (the El San Juan Hotel and Casino) for a wedding so we walked through the streets/beach and visited their hotel several times. The difference between the two properties is astounding. The funny thing is, we didn't pay significantly more than our friends did for their hotel rate, yet the Ritz was FAR superior. Even the cost of drinks was roughly the same ($15-$20 per drink...ouch), yet the quality of the drinks at the Ritz was undeniably better.

As to quality food, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Mares every morning. The setting is lovely (sort of an old Carribean plantation type feel to it), and the food was good. The buffet included fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, yogurt, deli meats, salmon, cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, and breakfast potatoes, plus a station with made-to-order eggs or omelettes. The employee manning that station was so friendly and funny! The coffee was strong and smooth...just like I like it.

Due to friend/wedding obligations, we only were able to eat dinner one night on the property, and we chose BLT Steak. It was AMAZING. Our servers were fantastic, and the chef sent out several complimentary dishes for us to try. We ordered the thick-cut bacon as an appetizer, which was saltily (I know that's not a word, lol) flavorful, but the chef sent us the pork belly special appetizer as well. The pork belly was DELICIOUS. Crispy and soft at the same time, with amazing creamy potatoes underneath. It was SO good. I ordered the sea bass special, which was to die for. The buttery yet firm texture of the fish was perfect, and it was complimented by crisp baby sprouts on top and a sprinkle of something crunchy (I don't know what it was and forgot to ask, but it was great). My husband had a filet which was also cooked perfectly. It was an entirely enjoyable and memorable meal.

I can't begin to say enough good things about the staff at the Ritz. Everyone we encountered was over-the-top friendly and accommodating. From the front desk workers, to the housekeeping staff, to the spa technicians (we had wonderful massages and pedicures), to the waitstaff...everyone was amazing. We enjoyed every minute of our stay and would return in a heartbeat. Five stars all the way!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gem092011
Write a ReviewReviews (3,263)

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Upon check in we were told that we only had booked and prepaid for only an ocean view room, however 1 week prior I confirmed that we actually had an oceanfront room with balcony...because i read about this prior to our arrival, after going back and forth with the girl at the front desk, she did manage to get us a room with a balcony, only after I had to find my reservation, and log in to my account, then get the information to show her, then she told me that that was only the room details not my actual reservation!!! Huh? Anyway, we did get the room with the balcony, and that's all we got. You have to rent the lounge chairs on the beach, we had to pay for parking the rental car $17/day...don't let the name fool you...we thought staying at the Ritz would be an extravagant experience, and all it did was cost more and more once arrived there....we actually didn't spend more time at the hotel than we needed to, just to sleep... you can get other accomodations at other hotels nearby for a lot cheaper, although the staff was very nice, that's all the hotel had to offer us...My husband and I were there with my 14 year old daughter to celebrate her 8th grade graduation, I would not waste your money staying at this hotel, especially if you have children

Room Tip: Not many balcony rooms so if you want a balcony, make sure you request it in advance, as they will t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
RCSJU, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Tracey L,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your recent family vacation experience. Please forgive me for not having your reservation all set when you arrived. We have a lot of chairs around the pool and in front of the beach at no charge; all part of the resort, there is no need to pay anyone along the beach. I am happy to hear that you found the Ladies and Gentlemen very friendly, thank you for highlighting them. I am grateful for your feedback and I hope you give us any other chance in any of our resorts around the globe in the future.
Warm regards,
Jackie Volkart

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Beautiful resort/ room, excellent service, top notch start to finish. Beautiful beach, calm water, can walk to a Walgreens and some local restaurants. (Although get cab to dinner at Jose Enrique- best meal in SJ.)

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days to celebrate my father-in-law's 63 birthday. We got 2 rooms on the 9th floor. We were promised upgrades, by American Express Platinum card, but only got one room upgrade.
The location is great on the beach. 5 minutes away from the airport.
Great service, as can be expected from a Ritz. Very friendly staff.
Great food. Breakfast Buffet had a wait time on weekends, but smooth on weekdays.
Beach chairs, umbrellas and towels always available. Great staff at beach area.
Try the BLT restaurant. I decided to write this review specifically to recognize YAMUEL at BLT. Wonderful service and personality.
The only issue with this trip is the Island itself. A bad economy has taken its toll on Puerto Rico. Too many run down, abandoned buildings. Many unsafe areas. It is a shame because the place has so much potential.
If you come here, the Ritz is great. Was not impressed with Puerto Rico outside of the resort.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MiamiArchitect
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This review is long overdue but I have nothing but amazing things to say about our stay. We stayed the end of May/beginning of June for my birthday and from the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty! Every single staff member was beyond helpful and friendly. Our room was nice and clean with an amazing view of the beach and the pool was very nice.

I want to especially thank Dominique for all of his help and guidance during our trip from restaurant recommendations to excursions. And most of all his above and beyond assistance to my now fiance for helping him execute the most amazing proposal on the beach any girl would be jealous of (a complete surprise to me). I can't tell you how much we both appreciated Dominique searching high and low around the island for my favorite flowers (peonies) to include in my proposal. The Ritz Carlton San Juan will have a special place in our heart and we will for sure be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JXB79
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We just came back from 4th of July weekend at the Ritz in San Juan. It was fabulous! We have not been here in 2 years and now remember why we use to visit annually. Everything is wonderful. The staff could not be more accommodating and nice, the hotel is clean and beautiful, the beach is great with wonderful breezes, and the food and drinks are good.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank osnarr
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Compared to other Ritz Carlton's, this one falls short in many areas. The art of anticipating guests needs is not present. The follow thru of the staff is inconsistent. For example, the concierge stated he would put driving directions to a particular coffee shop under our door that evening so in the morning, we could drive over. The directions weren't provided so we had to find it on our own. That would not be a problem but at a Ritz that's not the level of service expected. The hot tub was cold and after requesting it be fixed 5 times, we gave up. The food at the restaurant by the beach/pool was not worth the expense. My entree arrived 20 minutes late so everyone else was already done eating when my food arrived. I did not use the spa but be aware even though you pay a resort fee, the steam room is not included in the resort fee even though the fitness center is. The pool is very average.

On a positive note, Angel in the breakfast restaurant makes a fabulous latte and Marvin at BLT provided extraordinary service. The front desk staff was very helpful when we needed medical attention early on a Saturday morning.

The location of the property is not ideal so if returning we would select a different property as well. The airport feels as if it's co-located with the Ritz. The first night, we faced the airport and moved the next night for the remainder of our 7 day stay. There are no beach activities outside the hotel so you need to walk to the next beach over for activities. Also, there are minimal restaurants outside the hotel. Keep in mind that although a beach resort, few rooms seem to have balconies to enjoy the view of the water.

This property is not the typical Ritz and the level of service is not consistent. Based on the overall experience, we would choose a different property if we return to Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: Avoid the airport or city view side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank TulipBeaches
RCSJU, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor, and we will follow up on all of those. Thank you for highlighting the service provided by Angel at our Mares Restaurant and Marvin at our BLT Restaurant for their extraordinary service provided. I will personally recognize both gentlemen at our “Weekly Red-Carpet Recognition Line up”. We have a large choice of room categories, many facing our beautiful Caribbean water. Many of our guests love the convenience of the proximity of the airport as it extends your vacation time. I hope you give us another chance in the future.
Warm regards,

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!