“The perfect destination!”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The Ritz-Carlton San Juan is our only tropical destination where we can get on a plane in the Northeast and be checked in and on the beach 4 hours later. The property is just minutes from the airport on a 1.5 mile sandy beach with a large pool, fitness center, several excellent restaurants, and a casino. The Ritz San Juan has become a favorite destination whenever we need to get away from the cold.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris F
Write a ReviewReviews (3,263)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I was greeted with "Champagne or Chardonnay?" as my bag was whisked away and check-in was a breeze. Dominique (concierge) was just so helpful getting me to where I need to be. The service defines 5-stars. Immaculate. Prompt service. 24-hour room service. Sandy, clean beach with a staff that was amazing....Il Mulino (the same one as in NYC) is in the building which was so very convenient too. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank addax12
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a great time at The RC San Juan. It was my first time at a Ritz and the location was wonderful and front desk service impeccable. The breakfast buffet was excellent, and I was able to order off of the menu while the rest of my family had the buffet. My only complaint was the lack of places to eat for dinner. We did not want BLT steak or the Italian place, and the outside pool cafe only had small plates. We had to leave the property for dinner and would have preferred not to. The pool was clean and was open all night. We had spent the first part of our vacation at Caribe Hilton and the beach was better for swimming there, but Isla Verde has sugar sand and waves to play in, so we had the best of both worlds. There is a surfboard rental right outside the Ritz property and our tweens enjoyed that. Thanks, Ritz, for a nice stay!

Room Tip: We had floor 1, and it sort of felt like we were in the basement.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

It was a great hotel, great service, I would definitively stay again. Yes it is close to airport but you do not hear it from the rooms. The service was great they even remembered how my wife takes her eggs at breakfast. We had a wonderful time during winter break.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Weworks
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I spent 4 days alone at the Ritz Carlton at the beginning of March 2014. I was looking to relax in the sun, and that's exactly what I did. My room had a pool and partial ocean view, and that view was gorgeous.

I was there on a very discounted corporate rate, and was originally given a room on the 4th floor. That room had a terrible view of the blacktop on top of the portico. I was told by the front desk that my reservation had a note not to move me from the 4th floor. I assume that was due to the heavily discounted rate I enjoyed. "Luckily," the woman who checked me in was unpleasant and she apologized for it by upgrading me to a much higher floor and better view.

The bellmen and beach servers were great. Management could have done more to check in on guests. I didn't feel that the staff (other than the bellmen) were particularly warm.

The drinks and the food were tasty. The beach and pool menu is rather limited, and would benefit from additional vegetarian options. The breakfast buffet was also more limited than I expected.

The room was comfortable and well maintained.

The casino was pretty quiet and the slots were very tight.

The spa was nice. The fitness facility is beautiful. They even offer spin classes!

I've previously stayed at La Concha and the Marriott Stellaris. The Ritz Carlton is nicer than both, but it is also much quieter. If you are looking for nightlife, I would recommend La Concha.

Finally, the area around the Ritz doesn't look great, but it was perfectly safe and there is a Walgreen's and some restaurants nearby.

If the rate was right, I would definitely return to the Ritz-Carlton San Juan. San Juan is the perfect winter escape from NYC. Easy flight and short cab ride from the airport to the hotel/beach.

Room Tip: Avoid a city view on a low floor. Ocean or pool view is the way to go.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank LGG3
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Second hotel on our trip to P.R.

Did do the upgrade to club level without doing a quick once over. My two cents-
If you have done this service state side, this will not live up to expectation for the cost. Last one we did was in Laguna Ritz- awesome experience there. Bar was in full view and had a "candy wall" for the kids. (Mine - 6 and 4)-
This was one is like a very nice concierges level at a full service marriott. Was fine, but not even close to worth 275.00 plus 25 per kid.

Beach nice, pool nice. As expected for a ritz. Staff all good. Very friendly and accommodating. Casino is junk, but wasn't expecting much. Ate at Milano and BLT. Both solid. Last night, more casual and walked to intercontinental and are on the beach. Nice change of resort options.

Don't waster the money on the club level.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank MDendo
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I had an amazing stay at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan! The property was beautiful and the staff was so kind and accommodating. My friends and I were celebrating my birthday there, and the staff went out of their way for us in every way possible - they even left me birthday cupcakes in our room and gifted me a beach bag! Every staff member we encountered from the front desk to concierge, to the pool and valet was so friendly and always went out of their way to help. The spa and spa staff were also wonderful! The grounds are well kept, the rooms are very nice and spacious and the beach is breathtaking! I will definitely be coming back and would highly recommend this hotel for friends, family, or even couples!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!