“Absolutely the best place in San Juan”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have stayed in the El San Juan, the Intercontinental, the Hilton Caribe, and the Dorado Beach. By far, the Ritz-Carlton is San Juan's finest hotel.

While I am not generally a fan of San Juan as a vacation spot simply because I feel as if there are much better values in other Caribbean locations, the Ritz-Carlton San Juan is an exception.

You won't go wrong choosing this hotel as the accommodations, staff, food, atmosphere, ... all are top notch!

Room Tip: Pool side or ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank S G
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Wanted a quick getaway to somewhere warm .Booked the Waldorf Astoria El Conquistador.Beautiful location but getting run down and Idoes not meet the Waldorf name.We left early and went to the Ritz Carlton.Stayed on the club level.As soon as we entered the club level I felt like a princess by the staff.I would highly recommend this hotel and especially the club level if you want an experience of a lifetime.

Room Tip: high floor facing the ocean
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janis E
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Hubby and I stayed two nights (Oct. 31st & Nov.1st) at this lovely resort prior to taking a cruise out of San Juan. As we arrived to the lobby for check-in, there was a line of people waiting to check-in. The concierge came over and got us out of line and said she would check us in, for which we were very grateful, as we were tired from traveling all day. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and we liked the security feature of having to use your key card for each floor before the elevator would take you there.

For breakfast, you can either order from a menu or sample the buffet; and we chose the buffet both days, as there was a very nice selection. Salmon and cream cheese, pastries and breads, cereals, fresh fruits, scrambled eggs (not the usual powdered kind), bacon, sausage, French toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. Very satisfying, more than enough to choose from; and very good quality. There was also an omelet station; and of course the coffee and juices. Service was efficient and friendly.

The pool is beautiful, and lots of room. Chaise lounges were plentiful, and they have covered cabanas with a liberal amount of furniture that you could rent for privacy, or if you have group of friends who want to hang out together by the pool. The beach is also beautiful, but we preferred the pool area, so can't comment too much about that. They do serve hamburgers and other sandwiches and salads at the pool grill; and they are in the process of enlarging that, so should be much nicer with a larger selection soon.

We used the gym, which is attached to the Spa, and the equipment is state-of-the-art, with a bottle of water at each treadmill, and ear buds if you want to watch TV while you walk, which we liked. Didn't sample any Spa treatments, but the ladies at the desk were very friendly and smiled at everyone who walked in.

There is a Walgreen's just about one block's walk from the hotel in case you forget any toiletries, which we did; so that was very convenient. No sundries available in the hotel, but we didn't miss it since the Walgreen's was so near by.

We had drinks and some hors d'eouvres in the lobby bar one evening. The Mojito I had was one of the best I've had anywhere, and the food and snacks were very good as well.

The room was large and comfortable, and the bathroom was also more than adequate. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was spotlessly clean. Turn-down service each evening, with chocolates and fresh towels or whatever you need.

We have traveled all over the world, and would definitely rate this hotel as one of the top 5-Star resort hotels we have sampled. We can't wait to go back!!

(It's also only a 15-minute ride from the airport!)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R0undTheWorldGirl
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've stayed here a bunch of times because it is relaxing and an easy weekend getaway. That said, they have much room for improvement, especially given that they are are a Ritz Carlton.....

Emailed the concierge for assistance with spa and restaurant reservations a week before my arrival. Three days later I got a reply that was ludicrous. Forms to fill out and fax back with my credit card info, incorrect info about one restaurant I was interested in trying and no mention of the other restaurant I said I wanted to try. Ended up booking through Amex Concierge services and Open Table; no need for forms or anything like that,, A hotel concierge should make it easier to plan your trip, not harder.

And the women's bathroom by the pool? I have had better experiences at a public beach! Rusted facilities, stall doors that don't close, and a floor that's completely soaked. Filthy! Can we have a bit of attention here?

Really doesn't live up to the Ritz Carlton reputation.....

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4321GlobeTrotter
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, pool and beach. Staff was amazing and all were friendly. Got room upgrade as a Marriott elite member as well. I would definitely return and hopefully would get better weather! Only downside is that there isn't much nearby off premises.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tonx75
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the front and back ends of our honeymoon in Virgin Gorda. The fact that it was only 5 minutes from the airport was a huge plus. The service at the hotel is outstanding. Everyone from the bellboys to the front desk to the bartenders all went out of their way to be extra accomodating. BLT Steak far exceeded expectations and we live in Chicago which is known for great steakhouses. The casino was perfect for amateurs because they have $2 minimum roulette and $10 minimum blackjack, both of which are hard to find in most casinos. The free drinks while gambling is nice as well-just remember to tip the servers which you should be doing anyway but is easy to forget when in the zone at a table. Solid breakfast buffet as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I love this hotel. Some mornings it's truly hard to decide: do I stay and coze down into the plush bed and blankets, order room service, and have a "me" day or do I put on my bikini and pick out a spot for my lounge chair and umbrella to be set up and wait for my pina colada?

I'm not a pool person, so I love the semi-secluded beach that curves around blue-green waters. All beaches in Puerto Rico are public beaches, but the entrances to this beach are a little known and closely guarded secret, so when the beach to the right of the break is full and crowded, this gem in front of the casinos remains pleasant.

I may prefer the ocean, but the pools are top notch, and it's quite fun to see the native iguanas meander their way through the paths and foliage that surround them.

The service is excellent, and if you are looking for activities and tours, the hotel will arrange them. All of our excursions were top notch. A night trip through the mangroves to the bioluminescent bay, from which you could see the Fajardo Lighthouse, one of the points of the Bermuda Triangle. A trek through the rainforest. A horseback ride over sandy beaches and through jungle.

I love the Ritz & I love Isle Verde.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!