“Blue-Ribbon Staff Here!”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you have been blessed to stay at more than one Ritz Carlton Hotel in your life, you know that you can expect a gorgeous property - inside and out. This includes luxurious bathrooms, outstanding guest rooms, marvelous restaurants and staff that go out of their way to make your stay unforgettable.

Yes the San Juan Ritz Carlton is all that, but what makes this hotel stand out from all the rest is their Blue-Ribbon Staff. Never have we experienced the unsurpassed service from the gentleman who opens your door when you arrive to the housekeeping staff who does your evening turn-down to the sterling 9th Floor Concierge Staff. How they remember each guest’s name and greet you by the correct name each time is simply amazing!! Even the maintenance worker in the hallway will make eye contact and say Good Morning when you pass each other!

This is a hotel that understands that you can go anywhere and spend your money, but the management and their hourly workers want you to know your stay here is appreciated.

We feel there is much credit due for the Hotel Management that oversee this resort and also for the staff that train these employees. Their dedication to The Ritz Carlton Brand is to be admired.

As mentioned, we stayed in Room 916 on the Concierge Level. You always feel pampered when you step into your room and this did not disappoint. The king mattress was extremely comfortable and we loved the bathroom with fluffy towels and Purple Rain Toiletry Products (the hotel gift shop sells larger sizes!).

When we arrived, we were escorted to the 9th Floor Concierge Check-In Area and served Champagne and Guava Juice. Despite it being the middle of the afternoon, there was a spread of lunch items to nosh on while our paperwork was done. On the Concierge Level, you could eat complimentary dishes/beverages from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. if you wished. The staff here was wonderful about keeping dishes full, water and beer/wine stocked and they even went out of their way to make a special request several times for us. Forgive us for not mentioning each one by name, but please know that we didn’t encounter any staff there that didn’t go above and beyond for any of the guests! It is customer service like nowhere else!

The outside property and pool area are perfection and the gardens are exquisite. The landscaping crew should be applauded. While we did not use the spa facilities, we did use the health club each day. It is housed in the same building as the spa and it is a huge space and very bright/clean! There are 3 rooms that include one with spinning and plenty of room for other classes, another room for weight lifting and the last room is cardio with a pool/garden view. They are all open and connected. Headsets/water bottles/towels are provided free of charge, too. We were impressed that the staff also enforced that guests must come with the proper footwear (no flip flops) and gym attire.

Even though you could spend hours enjoying the beauty of the pool area, don’t ignore the beach. It is powdery sand, clean and there are plenty of chairs. The pristine water is great with temperatures in the 80s in August of 2013. There can be rough surf at times.

If the current allows, swim straight out (or slightly to the south) for some great snorkeling. There is a reef right in front of the hotel if you head for the breaking waves. Sadly there is little live coral reef left, but the sea fans and other flora abound as do multi-colored urchins. There is a fair number of fish and you’ll see an occasional turtle as well. One odd thing – there wasn’t a single seashell to be found. Still – it I an easy and pleasant snorkeling experience in front of The San Juan Ritz Carlton!

We walked through their casino which others said was a good mix of slots and table games. There is a small Tiffany Jewelers in the lobby which had a very nice variety of gifts. Usually they only offer the high-end items in this kind of setting, but this store had a number of things under $300 which would make nice souvenirs. Little Switzerland was also located across the hallway – It was much larger with a great offering of jewelry. The hotel’s gift shop had magazines, newspapers but the selection beyond that was very limited and over-priced. If you walk one block to the west, there is a Walgreens. It isn’t the best Walgreens I have ever visited, but they do stock the basics. Be prepared for the local homeless to follow you/pan-handle you the entire way there. The Walgreens Staff are some of the slowest/least personable I have ever met.. The store is in a strip mall that is just plain scary. Going there makes you want to hurry back to The Ritz Carlton as soon as you can.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for Concierge Level because the staff is superior and you will actually save m...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JeffnEdie
Write a ReviewReviews (3,263)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just got back and my 3-night stay at this resort was excellent from the moment I stepped in to the day I left. The staff have all been well-trained on the importance of "servicing the client". This is what I would expect at a Ritz Carlton hotel and this was my first time staying at one! A big thanks to Marcus who welcomed us warmly with mimosas and made us feel at home when our room was not ready due to a temporary system shut down. I was with my sister, my mother and a friend.
I will definitely stay here again for a longer stay in the near future, maybe next year.
-Nelly (from New York)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Ritz at this location is a very nice hotel, clean and very friendly staff. The only negative comment I can say is that the rooms need updating. The front desk staff, restaurant stafff, pool personnel, and housekeeping all had smiles on their faces and constantly made you feel important and wanted.

Room Tip: Higher floors with ocean or pool views are nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at here for 4 nights last week. We had a lovely stay: the grounds were really well manicured and the people that work there were truly amazing. That's really what made the trip. Very friendly and genuinely caring. Yuritza from the pool was awesome!! Anyone that greets you by your name every time she walks by you is AMAZING in my book. She has so many people to tend to and she remembered all 3 of our names and greeted us by them every single encounter - kudos to you, Yuritza!! She was genuine, extremely personable and caring!! A star!! Carmen from turndown was also a doll and very sweet with a smile.

Also, we dined at il mulino, mares, the lounge and BLT. They were all really good. Thought Eli from BLT was fantastic, Joseph from the lounge, Willie and the extremely friendly omelette chef from Dorchester, Ma from Mares were all fabulous as well. I truly feel that the Ritz should know that these employees really go out of their way to make the guests feel so welcomed. They were genuinely kind and outstanding to the hotel guests!!! They should be commended for their efforts and for their excellent customer service. It's these people who make hotel guests become return and loyal guests. So thank you to the above employees for making us want to return!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

First of all I will start with the pros-service, service, service!!! From the moment we entered the resort to the moment we left we felt welcomed and genuinely cared for. Kudos for that, definitely even more than I've come to expect from my previous stays at other hotels of this caliber. Another positive was the beach, very well manicured and peaceful.
As for the cons the location is far away from everything and it isn't an easy commute to get to Old San Juan. Other than that the rooms were a huge disappointment. They were small and uncomfortable and didn't appear to be well maintained. Other than that I felt the prices throughout the resort were a little high. However, these minor issues were overshadowed by the impeccable service which made everything else seem insignificant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jill K
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights for our Honeymoon and my Birthday. The front desk representative was pleasant at best. I had noted in my reservation our celebrations and she did not notice so I mentioned it to her. She asked if we would like a mimosa and came back with one for us. There were no complimentary upgrades available nor did we get anything celebratory or complimentary (besides the welcome mimosa) to commemorate our events. Having stayed at several Ritz properties in the past, I have come to expect a certain level of service that was just not present at this property. I do have to say however that the bellhop (Carlos, I think that was his name) was very helpful with restaurant selections in the area. The grounds and rooms were neat and clean but the bed was much too soft and very uncomfortable! It wasn't a bad stay but for those who have come to love Ritz Carlton properties, you might be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2013

what can one ask more for, a stay on the wonderful warm beach of Puerto Rico! A pool that is open 24/7, and a tiffany's on sight with wonderful staff. I had a wonderful stay, even though we were in and out doing activities. You are treated with the upmost respect, and well taken cared of. Only issue I had is I had requested a high floor room, and was put on the first floor - thankfully management was quick to take care of that. I certainly will be back!!

Room Tip: prepare to spend quite a lot for anything. It's the Ritz!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!