The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
$203
$227
$206
  • Breakfast included
Coral by the Sea(Isla Verde)
$101
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
3,271 results
All reviewsbltil mulinothe ritz carltonclub leveltennis courtsmares restaurantsan juanlobby loungeturn down servicecity viewclose to the airportpool stafflong weekendpool viewluxury hotelfood and drinksbeautiful property
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've visited San Juan several times now. This was my first stay at the Ritz Carlton. I was a little worried that it would be too stuffy of a hotel. Even through very elegant and conservatively decorated, it was a very comfortable environment. I felt it was more sophisticated that the other hotels that we have stayed at (El San Juan, Intercontinental, etc). This place is great for families, friends, older, younger.

The staff was better that the staff at any other island we have ever visited. They were incredibly welcoming and knew who we were everywhere we went. We paid for the club level junior suite with the balcony and were so glad we did. What an incredible value. You may look at the price for the room versus the non-club level rooms and think a couple of hundred dollars is too much. It depends on how long you are staying. You get a lot for the club level, from convenience, to basically free food and alcohol all day. I hadn't purchased a drink until the second to last day (on the beach) because we had been drinking in the club level lounge. 3 mixed drinks on the beach (purchased from the waitress that actually works for the Ritz pool bar & grill) was ~$60. So you can see how this can easily outweigh the extra room charge. Club level let's you bring drinks out from the lounge and you have free water in your room and from the lounge. In a hotel that charges for it, water can get expensive.

They bring you up for the club level concierge check-in, but you don't have to stand around (or sit around in this case because there are comfy chairs everywhere) wile they check you in. They offer you drink and food, tell you to relax, and they just take care of it. Our room was ready right away and our bags had made it to the room before we did. The club level staff seems to be able to take care of anything. They will research excursions for you, work on special requests, and really just make you feel special while you relax doing something else. You could go to the spa and they will just take care of your other request while you're gone. It saves you so much time from having to make calls yourself or stop by excursion desks yourself, etc. Today was our last day, and although we had to check out at 11, they made sure our card was active for the day so we could still come up and down from the club level (key access required). While they were taking care of getting our bags stored, they let us know they'd take care of printing our barding passes for our flight as well. First the made us a couple of mojitos though while we hung out on the balcony having a snack.

The beach in from of the Ritz it nicer than the beach in from of El San Juan, Marriott, Intercontinental, etc. The waves are much calmer, the beach flatter, and it's less crowded. They take to extra step on the beach and at the pool to make sure that your chair is comfy. The even create chair pillows and lumbar supports out of towels for your comfort.

The only drawback of the entire stay was the construction they were doing on what looked like a new second floor pavilion. They must have been adding the metal roof because the sound was like a drill on metal. It ruined the serenity that you found yourself in laying around at the pool.

Room Tip: Splurge for the club level. Junior suites with balcony are pretty large.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank D2andM
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Ritz Carlton in San Juan is a nice resort in a great location: right on the beach, and just a few minutes drive from SJU airport.

The rooms are nice, but not out of the ordinary...and not much different from other Ritz Carltons I've visited.

The hotel wasn't flexible when it came to early check-in or late check-out, even though the property appeared to be fairly empty.

The casino/restaurant/front desk staff all were pleasant...but nothing remarkable. I did dine at BLT one night though and had one of the best waiters/waitstaff ever.

The casino is small and rather quiet; I've been there before in past years and it never appears to be very busy.

Pools and the beach were nice / well maintained, with ample places to relax. The grounds are nicely landscaped, as one would expect of a tropical hotel.

If the beach is important, this is the place to stay. If a nice pool and equally nice accommodations are important, I'd recommend the Hampton Inn & Suites across the street. You could always walk across to dine at BLT from there....but save $200/night in doing so.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the best hotel that i have stayed at in San Juan so far. Good service, comfortable and clean rooms, nice beach. I had a great meal at BLT Steak . I will definitely stay there again and recommend it for both business and pleasure. However, the quality of the overall experiences didn't have the sense of luxury and outstanding service that i have come to expect from a Ritz Carlton. Something was missing. So it's up to the individual traveler whether this hotel offers sufficient value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara E
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Family vacation (for 4) for 6 days spent at the Ritz. We were upgraded to an ocean view w/balcony which was an amazing view to look at everyday. The grounds are beautiful and I can't say enough great things about the staff (except in the casino - that staff isn't friendly). From the bellman to the concierge to the front desk, waiters, etc -- LOVED THEM! Made us feel very welcome and attended to our every need/want. The room itself, other than the view, was nothing spectacular IMO. Pool and beach water felt like bath water - it was wonderful. Fair warning....things are not cheap here. A liquor drink usually is around $14, pop around $8, candy bar around $2 - $3. There is a Walgreens a block away which is where we stocked up on pop and snacks. In the spa we got a massage w/scented oil -- $20 EXTRA for the scent. So if you don't care about the scent just go w/the house oil and save $20 each for the smell. Housekeepers went above and beyond picking up dirty clothes, sorting makeup, etc. Very nice people. The breakfast buffet in Mares costs $31 and includes hot items such as scrambled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, pancakes. Cold items include cheeses, fruit, cereals, yogurt, toast, bagels, etc. You can also order off the menu -- Belgian Waffle is $16, OJ $6 just to give you an idea on prices. Will def stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view w/balcony if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jlafrentz
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have read some of the mixed reviews on here, but I have to say that my experience was nothing but wonderful. This was a much needed relaxing getaway for a birthday celebration, and we had just an outstanding time. After a short cab ride from the airport, our check-in was very smooth. They noted I was celebrating a birthday, and when we got to our room there was a birthday card and a Ritz-Carlton beach tote. Very nice. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was quite large. We had an oceanfront balcony with a beautiful view of the beach and pool.

I can't comment on the pool service since we spent all our outdoor time at the beach, but the service we had from both the chair and towel guys and the bar staff (especially Stephanie) was outstanding. We had breakfast at Mares included in our room rate, and it was excellent. The only small problem was that we didn't seem to have an assigned waiter one day there. We just helped ourself to the buffet, and every other morning we had very attentive waitstaff, so I think it must have been an exception. Jeremiah, Eric, Rocito, JessMarie, and Carlos were all wonderful at Mares. I commented on how much we liked the snack bars, and JessMarie brought us a wrapped up bag of them along with the recipe! We also ate at Il Mulino for my birthday dinner, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere. Service and food were just outstanding. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

We had torrential rains one day, and the roads in and out of the hotel were actually closed. So we ordered room service for dinner, and Mario was wonderful. I know the staff must have been exhausted that day, but they went out of their way to make sure we were still having a good vacation. They all worked so hard to make the best of what must have been a tough situation. I heard some people complain, but give me a rainy day stuck inside the Ritz over work any day!!

As others have mentioned, the $21 cab ride to Old San Juan is definitely worth it. A really fun town with a lot of history and things to see. At the hotel, the casino was also fun, and there is a Tiffany, another jewelry store, and a small gift shop inside. I spent a little money in all of them the day we were rained in. I have stayed at several Ritz properties and always appreciate the wonderful service, but it seemed even better than usual at this property. I never met an unpleasant staff member, and any question or concern I had was addressed immediately and with a smile. And seriously- how do they remember all our names??

Overall, this was a wonderful trip and an excellent hotel stay. I look forward to returning someday soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family