“Amazing service.”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Is an expensive hotel, but the service is exceptional, mi visit was for business purpose, but I enjoy it like a vacation time. Definitively I will visit it next year. The restaurant Mares is not as good as I expected, but you can get good food near.

• Stayed: June 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,263)

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Ritz Carlton in San Juan is definitely a 5-star hotel. I have never stayed at a Ritz Carlton before but this hotel was definitely on par with other 5 star hotels I've stayed at.

The staff is very friendly and accommodating. They go out of their way to learn your name. All the people we encountered at the concierge desk were very helpful and willing to spend time answering our questions. The pool staff was not as friendly as the others. They would help some people set up their chairs and not others. I think they were looking for tips.

The rooms are very spacious. They tidy the rooms twice a day which is very nice. I left a tip for the maids and they never took it. I'm not sure if they are not allowed to take tips or what.

The casino was kind of smaller and less "happening" than I expected. Though I'm not a casino person, so this didn't bother me. They did seem to have all the games you'd expect to see in a casino.

The restaurants are very nice. I highly recommend the Italian restaurant, El Mulino. The food was excellent. Within walking distance is Metropole (dinner) and Piu Bello (breakfast & lunch). Do not go to the Denny's next door. It is really bad. The Ocean View Bar & Grill located within the hotel has really good lunch.

The location of the resort is kind of in the middle of a busy area. It's not that easy to get anywhere unless you take cabs or drive. Though once inside the resort it feels very private. I liked how they had plenty of chairs and umbrellas around the pool. They even had lots of chairs on the beach.

I think what would have made this resort better would be some nightly entertainment such as singers, or live music in the lobby. They had a DJ during the weekends but nothing during the weekdays.

Overall, I think this hotel is very nice and the service is very good.

Room Tip: This resort is located in an area with old high rise buildings right next door. So don't get th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I just completed a five night stay at this wonderful property. Some of the reviews we read prior to the trip made us a bit apprehensive about our booking, but upon arrival, we knew the reviews were either inaccurate or downright bogus. As an example, some of the reviews stated that the noise by the nearby airport created disturbances inside the rooms and on the grounds. Although the airport is 5-8 minutes away via taxi, we never once heard one airplane inside the room and only distant noise once or twice while outside the hotel. We here far more airplane noise in our home in Clearwater, FL.
The staff was wonderful. Abby greeted us like royalty as soon as we entered the property. Diana in the lobby restaurant area provided us the warmest customer service that we have ever received any restaurant or hotel/resort ever. A young man named Rafael stopped me by the pool one day and asked how everything was going. After I explained that my wife was in the spa, he offered to walk me around the entire facility. He beamed with pride as he showed me around this marvelous property.
The facility is immaculate in all regards, and the room service is over the top. We noticed that we had been asking for extra coffee and cream, and very soon extra coffee/cream began appearing w/o having to ask.
While leaving the spa one day, one of the staff stated, "Oh my, it's raining, and you don't have an umbrella, here, take this one and leave it at the front desk when you're through!"
We dined at BLT Steak and Il Mullino's. of the two, we preferred Il Mullino's as the service was the best we have ever experienced at any restaurant. We had at least four different servers asking us how everything was, and the breads offered were to die for.
The only thing we didn't like about this facility was the sand on the beach. We are used to golden or white sand, and in some cases volcanic black sand. This sand was a brownish color and it didn't do the hotel justice. The pool, however, is wonderful wish fine service to match. One day, as an example, it began raining, and I spotted a lady struggling to open a large Ritz beach tableside umbrella. It wasn't ten seconds and two staff walked briskly over and opened her umbrella. Staff would ask if I needed extra towels or an orange or something to drink.
In short, we loved this resort and cannot help but wonder why anyone could leave a negative review.
Thank you for a memorable experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I travel to Puerto Rico quarterly on business.
I usually stay in the Condado area at the La Concha. I like the location of La Concha which has many great restaurants. Recently, conditions at LaConch have declined so I decided to try the Ritz in Isla Verde. The experience was top notch!
Check is was quick, with a nice champagne cocktail as I arrived. They also have water bottles by the desk. The rooms are much nicer than other properties in PR, well maintained and clean. There are not many rooms with balconies, which is a minus, but I was lucky to secure one. I had dinner both nights on property...Il Mulino is great for Italian and there is a nice steak place as well, BLT Steak. Prices in both restaurants are high, but worth it because I saved on taxi fare. The downside to the Ritz is location, with not many restaurant choices in the area.
My conclusion i would rather stay at the Ritz, even though I do like the Condado area better...In my opinion, the professionalism of the Ritz and their nicer rooms are worth it.
I did not use the pool or beach area, but they look very nice!
My one Big complaint about the Ritz chain is that they don,t honor the Marriott Platinum upgrade or lounge access policy. Maybe one day Marriott will make a change in this policy .

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had an excellent time during our one night stay at the Ritz in San Juan / Isla Verde. The price we paid per night was about the same as the Marriot in San Juan. The service and attention we received was excellent. We upgraded to club level and we took advantage of it. They reactivated our club level access cards even after we had checked out so that we could take advantage of the appetizers and open bar until we left for our cruise that evening. If you are going to drink during your stay and you don't mind the short trip to the 9th floor, club level is the way to go. We had a minor mishap leaving the hotel when one of the bellman did not get all of our luggage into the cab, but the Ritz did pay for the return cab ride. Though this Ritz might not compare to the Ritz in Palm Beach or Naples, for the price it is an excellent deal.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club Level if you are going to drink.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike W
Reviewed June 19, 2013

As stated by others, the wait time to check in was terrible. They eased the pain with champagne. Our room was not ready so they offered to treat us to a snack - very nice since we had not eaten. Our treat was billed to our room. Some of the plugs in the room did not work. We had Easter brunch at the hotel. It was $70 something per adult and then they charged for coffee. The hotel is nice, but it's not as nice as one expects of a Ritz.

Room Tip: There were places nearby by for breakfast. The guys working at the front door were very helpful.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mary0404
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

The Ritz Carlton-San Juan was wonderfully relaxing. Isla Verde is a fairly small area, but there are some great restaurants within I walking distance (very safe) and a $21 Taxi ride to Old San Juan or $17 to Condado where there is great shopping and night life. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was pricey on the resort grounds but worth every penny! We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!