“Great Business Trip Visit”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Business Trip Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was my first visit to this hotel in Puerto Rico. Hotel is very close to the airport by taxi. It wasa $12 flat fee fare + $1 per luggage fee. At check-in I was greeted by very friendly staff and a guava mimosa. The conference rooms and service throughout my stay were excellent. During one of the days I had breakfast on my own and did the breakfast buffet at the hotel's Mares restaurant. Food and service were great once again. Due to the fact that this was a business trip, I didn't have a chance to enjoy the beautiful beach, which just means I'll have to come back for vacation time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank sheimar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

beautiful hotel , staff is great about 10- 15 mins ride from airport , so close for the price the hotel should offer airport transpo. slept very good never heard airplanes , taxis very pricey hotel restaurants very pricey service very good but the wait is long -pool and jacuzzi was great lots of food places walking distance around hotel . rooms very nice ,large . tennis court n gym very good also.club lounge on the 9th floor cool but pricey . would i go back ! yes!

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank babeeyoung
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stay at many top hotels and even stayed at month at a hotel rated top in the world for service, and this Ritz exceeded my expectations. From the moment we walked in until the sad time that we left, we were greeted with smiles and offers of assitance. I went to celebrate my birthday and they made sure to make me feel special. I would be asked how my birthday was going often by the staff (especially reception). The staff at the pool were also stupendous. They would move umbrellas, add towels and tables and pretty much do whatever you needed to be comfortable. Although I usually strike out to the beach, I chose the pool this time as it was so beautiful and didn't feel crowded. One person stuck out to me in particular, Eduardo in the Mesa breakfast room. He was so helpful and offered many great tips for our stay regarding what to see/do. He even came by with a snack bag of water, protein bars, and a Que Passe magazine when he knew we were going sight seeing in Old San Juan. We were so brain tired our first morning and he sent us off on our way with iced coffee...yum! I tried to ask for him every day of our stay, but he was so popular, it was a challenge! Even when he was not assigned to our table, he came by to offer assistance and chat about our plans. It was so refreshing to see the staff take such great pride in their work. I was not diappointed by any of them. A special thank you to the woman in the showers at the spa. There was a line of us waiting for the showers as we were getting ready to leave and had already checked out of the rooms -- she worked hard to ensure towels were stocked and that we were enjoying even the last few minutes of our stay. My only suggestions are this: 1. please choose a news source other than the NY Times as your news print -- it is not a proper newspaper (I'll refrain from saying why) -- the Post, USA Headline News, or CNN would be fine. 2. A 2 pm checkout without additional fees would permit us to shower/change in our rooms and then we might kill time in the casino while we wait to go the airport. Other than this, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: I suspect the only way to get a pool or ocean view room is to pay more for it. I heard from others...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank VATechHokieGirl
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

After having read mostly good, but some negative reviews of this Ritz, my boyfriend and I still decided to stay here because it was so close to the airport and by the beach at the same time. We basically wanted to get most beach time as possible in our 3 nights 4 days getaway. The hotel was located about 5-10 min cab ride away and the hotel property was beautiful with lush gardens and inviting beach area. What we loved about this property is that it had everything we wanted for our short vacation, a nice sized gym with modern equipments, tennis court, 4 restaurants, pool and beach side service, clean and beautiful beach which was great for swimming. There is also a water sports rental booth by the beach that is not affiliated with hotel that opens at 9am everyday. We were able to rent couple of surf boards and surf at the Pine Grove Beach - which was not exactly in front of the hotel but next to the hotel. Surfing at Pine Grove is perfect for beginners.
There is also a casino which was fun, and everyone at Club Lounge was so friendly and helpful.
We had a room which faced the city, but it didn't bother us one bit, the airport was too far away to hear anything and all the lights actually looked really pretty in the evenings against the mountain backdrop. I think the only complaint would be that the food served in the Club Lounge did not compare to the food that we had in the club lounge in Tokyo, but Ritz Carlton Tokyo didn't have the lush garden, pool and the beach. We overall loved this property and we can' t wait to go back and do it all over again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sora A
tucson, Az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Have stayed at this Ritz several times but most recently stayed here attending a conference. Need to say I've always loved this hotel. As soon as you walk in you are greeted by a helpful staff member and are also handed a glass of champagne while checking in.
The property is beautiful and well maintained. Our room which was a suite did not have a balcony but we did have a pool/ocean view. The room was very nice, clean and well maintained. Love the bathroom - large, open, well lit with great amenities and plush robes and towels.
Pool area was very relaxing and pool service was friendly, fast and efficient. Very hard working staff making sure you always have what you need. Good drinks and food at the pool area - a bit on the expensive side.
We had dinner at BLT Steakhouse and have to say the food was very good - wait time to get our meal - 45 minutes! Not so nice! We also had dinner at II Mullino - food is great and service is even better!
There is a casino at this hotel and I find it enjoyable.....
The hotel is close to the airport but you NEVER hear airplane noise at all>
Overall, still loved staying here and will come back to this hotel next time I come to PR.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank tucsonishome
new york, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a great getaway. We (a total of 8 ladies) picked the Ritz in San Juan for my bachelorette weekend getaway. We wanted a sunny, relaxing, luxurious, without being exorbitant, easy to get to spot. The Ritz in San Juan covered all of those bases. Most of us had an easy 3 1/2 hour flight from NYC, and from the airport, the Ritz is a speedy 5 minute cab ride away. The moment we stepped out of the cab, every employee at the hotel was kind, genuine, welcoming and accomodating. Abby offered to bring us complimentary mimosas to kick off our weekend upon check-in, and remembered us and checked in when we saw her later.

The rooms are clean, modern, comfortable, and while not huge, are thoroughly well appointed. The bathrooms are lovely and the Asprey products are a nice touch. The pool area was fantastic; we spent one day at a cabana, and two days grabbing our own seats poolside, which was not difficult to do as it can be at so many resorts. One downside -- there isn't a huge amount of service by the pool; if you want a drink or snack, prepare to wait a little bit. We ventured out in the evenings and thus didn't eat dinners in the hotel, but we all had breakfasts -- the buffet in Mares was good, with great variety, but not flawless. The hotel lobby bar is nice, but not quite big enough for the crowd that seems to congregate on a Friday or Saturday evening; an additional bar space might serve them well. I was treated to a wonderful trip to the spa, where I had a great massage and spent a little time in the whirlpool and also in sauna. One of my friends had a less than perfect facial, which she mentioned to the staff, who then reversed the charge as soon as they heard of her complaint.

Overall this was a great Ritz was accomodating staff, lovely rooms, extra touches and many conveniences. I would absolutely return.

Room Tip: We had a cityview room, but could still see the ocean to the left without a problem.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank VLnyc
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

You will not get another Ritz in San Juan, so take it! It's reasonably priced (for a Ritz), their upgrade package is fair (and tempting) and the view + beach spectacular. There's also a grocery store 5-minutes' walk away from this -- get your drinks and lunch there and you don't need to be cheap on the lodgings!

Room Tip: Ocean view + terrace
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,515 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!