“Far exceeded my already high expectations.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Far exceeded my already high expectations.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stay at many top hotels and even stayed at month at a hotel rated top in the world for service, and this Ritz exceeded my expectations. From the moment we walked in until the sad time that we left, we were greeted with smiles and offers of assitance. I went to celebrate my birthday and they made sure to make me feel special. I would be asked how my birthday was going often by the staff (especially reception). The staff at the pool were also stupendous. They would move umbrellas, add towels and tables and pretty much do whatever you needed to be comfortable. Although I usually strike out to the beach, I chose the pool this time as it was so beautiful and didn't feel crowded. One person stuck out to me in particular, Eduardo in the Mesa breakfast room. He was so helpful and offered many great tips for our stay regarding what to see/do. He even came by with a snack bag of water, protein bars, and a Que Passe magazine when he knew we were going sight seeing in Old San Juan. We were so brain tired our first morning and he sent us off on our way with iced coffee...yum! I tried to ask for him every day of our stay, but he was so popular, it was a challenge! Even when he was not assigned to our table, he came by to offer assistance and chat about our plans. It was so refreshing to see the staff take such great pride in their work. I was not diappointed by any of them. A special thank you to the woman in the showers at the spa. There was a line of us waiting for the showers as we were getting ready to leave and had already checked out of the rooms -- she worked hard to ensure towels were stocked and that we were enjoying even the last few minutes of our stay. My only suggestions are this: 1. please choose a news source other than the NY Times as your news print -- it is not a proper newspaper (I'll refrain from saying why) -- the Post, USA Headline News, or CNN would be fine. 2. A 2 pm checkout without additional fees would permit us to shower/change in our rooms and then we might kill time in the casino while we wait to go the airport. Other than this, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: I suspect the only way to get a pool or ocean view room is to pay more for it. I heard from others...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank VATechHokieGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

After having read mostly good, but some negative reviews of this Ritz, my boyfriend and I still decided to stay here because it was so close to the airport and by the beach at the same time. We basically wanted to get most beach time as possible in our 3 nights 4 days getaway. The hotel was located about 5-10 min cab ride away and the hotel property was beautiful with lush gardens and inviting beach area. What we loved about this property is that it had everything we wanted for our short vacation, a nice sized gym with modern equipments, tennis court, 4 restaurants, pool and beach side service, clean and beautiful beach which was great for swimming. There is also a water sports rental booth by the beach that is not affiliated with hotel that opens at 9am everyday. We were able to rent couple of surf boards and surf at the Pine Grove Beach - which was not exactly in front of the hotel but next to the hotel. Surfing at Pine Grove is perfect for beginners.
There is also a casino which was fun, and everyone at Club Lounge was so friendly and helpful.
We had a room which faced the city, but it didn't bother us one bit, the airport was too far away to hear anything and all the lights actually looked really pretty in the evenings against the mountain backdrop. I think the only complaint would be that the food served in the Club Lounge did not compare to the food that we had in the club lounge in Tokyo, but Ritz Carlton Tokyo didn't have the lush garden, pool and the beach. We overall loved this property and we can' t wait to go back and do it all over again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beachlove08
tucson, Az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Have stayed at this Ritz several times but most recently stayed here attending a conference. Need to say I've always loved this hotel. As soon as you walk in you are greeted by a helpful staff member and are also handed a glass of champagne while checking in.
The property is beautiful and well maintained. Our room which was a suite did not have a balcony but we did have a pool/ocean view. The room was very nice, clean and well maintained. Love the bathroom - large, open, well lit with great amenities and plush robes and towels.
Pool area was very relaxing and pool service was friendly, fast and efficient. Very hard working staff making sure you always have what you need. Good drinks and food at the pool area - a bit on the expensive side.
We had dinner at BLT Steakhouse and have to say the food was very good - wait time to get our meal - 45 minutes! Not so nice! We also had dinner at II Mullino - food is great and service is even better!
There is a casino at this hotel and I find it enjoyable.....
The hotel is close to the airport but you NEVER hear airplane noise at all>
Overall, still loved staying here and will come back to this hotel next time I come to PR.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank tucsonishome
new york, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a great getaway. We (a total of 8 ladies) picked the Ritz in San Juan for my bachelorette weekend getaway. We wanted a sunny, relaxing, luxurious, without being exorbitant, easy to get to spot. The Ritz in San Juan covered all of those bases. Most of us had an easy 3 1/2 hour flight from NYC, and from the airport, the Ritz is a speedy 5 minute cab ride away. The moment we stepped out of the cab, every employee at the hotel was kind, genuine, welcoming and accomodating. Abby offered to bring us complimentary mimosas to kick off our weekend upon check-in, and remembered us and checked in when we saw her later.

The rooms are clean, modern, comfortable, and while not huge, are thoroughly well appointed. The bathrooms are lovely and the Asprey products are a nice touch. The pool area was fantastic; we spent one day at a cabana, and two days grabbing our own seats poolside, which was not difficult to do as it can be at so many resorts. One downside -- there isn't a huge amount of service by the pool; if you want a drink or snack, prepare to wait a little bit. We ventured out in the evenings and thus didn't eat dinners in the hotel, but we all had breakfasts -- the buffet in Mares was good, with great variety, but not flawless. The hotel lobby bar is nice, but not quite big enough for the crowd that seems to congregate on a Friday or Saturday evening; an additional bar space might serve them well. I was treated to a wonderful trip to the spa, where I had a great massage and spent a little time in the whirlpool and also in sauna. One of my friends had a less than perfect facial, which she mentioned to the staff, who then reversed the charge as soon as they heard of her complaint.

Overall this was a great Ritz was accomodating staff, lovely rooms, extra touches and many conveniences. I would absolutely return.

Room Tip: We had a cityview room, but could still see the ocean to the left without a problem.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank VLnyc
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

You will not get another Ritz in San Juan, so take it! It's reasonably priced (for a Ritz), their upgrade package is fair (and tempting) and the view + beach spectacular. There's also a grocery store 5-minutes' walk away from this -- get your drinks and lunch there and you don't need to be cheap on the lodgings!

Room Tip: Ocean view + terrace
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank c_and_p_CT
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Ritz in San Juan in April 2013. We were at the Ritz for two nights before moving on to the Rio Mar area. Our stay was outstanding from start to finish! The room was plush with all the amenities and features that the Ritz always offers, the service was very friendly and helpful, and the staff went out of their way to fulfill our needs. I highly recommend spending a few hours each day relaxing by the pool. The beach is nice, but the pool is even better. We spent at least 3-4 hours on both of our days just relaxing and lounging at the pool. We tried to spend time at the beach, but the winds were too high to really enjoy ourselves. I'd say the only drawback are the prices for drinks and food, but you're staying at the Ritz, so expect them to be pretty high. They honored my corporate rate, so I paid under $170 per night. Try and see if your company has a rate there! I have other travel advice on my website: www.luxecontravel.com, so check it out!

Room Tip: the beach view is amazing, but pricey.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Luxury E
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first stay at the Ritz Carlton, I thought the property was beautiful. The pool staff was excellent, along with the pool waiters. The Pool waiters work very hard, but they need a few more of them. Il Mulino is what I expected having dined at the one in NY. BLT steakhouse food was great. Our waitress was great, she went above and beyond. The hostess was very rude, and had a very bad attitude of which we addressed with the restaurant manager. The housekeeping of the rooms was excellent however, our room attendant would knock when we had the Do not disturb sign on and even walked in on us a few times after us yelling to go away. Wasn’t a big deal, but shouldn’t have happened.
My boyfriend has stayed at the Ritz Carlton numerous times, different properties. According to him, the service is not up to Par with Ritz standards. We were traveling with four other couples. We got to the hotel around 1pm, three couples did not have club level rooms and us and one other couple did have club level rooms. So we got escorted to the club level with the other couple. Our rooms weren’t ready. Our friends who had regular rooms encountered some issues at check in but got rooms. We waited half hour, our friends got their club level room and changed went out to pool. Our room wasn’t ready still. We waited a total of an hour plus. We finally checked in, after my boyfriend having to speak sternly with the club level representative and even spoke to a Manager. The Manager was very nice. Our keys didn’t work, we couldn’t get anywhere on the elevators. We addressed with club level again. One of our friends deem the Ritz as the “Land of No” for various reasons.
Our TV didn’t work the whole stay. Apparently they just upgraded the TVs to LG TVs and were having system issues. The movies are not of an upgraded system. The air conditioning was touch and go.

The Casino
I’m not sure if the Casino is privately owned or owned by Ritz which I hope for their sake isn’t. My boyfriend and two of the other guys that were in our group are big gamblers. The Casino is horrible. You have to watch the dealers at the craps and roulette tables seems in general the dealers don’t know what they are doing and could end up costing you money.
-My boyfriend requested that the blackjack maximum bet be increased. The answer was NO.
-They asked what the comp system was, they explained you needed an average bet of $100 and a minimum play of 4 hours per day. What they neglected to advise is that it is 10% of hyperthedical (not to pay). They didn’t have the average bet down correctly. They said my boyfriends average bet was $140 but he was betting max $500 bets. The pit boss, was called every time he was betting max bets. Why it wasn’t recorded correctly is beyond our minds. By the 4th day, my boyfriend figured out the algorithm and it’s designed for people to play by the rules, when you start not playing by the rules you start winning.
-The tables have card shufflers. We requested they not use the shuffler for at least one black jack table and they refused. The more money you loose, the bigger the comp you get bottom line.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!