“Beautiful facility”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is nice, the rooms are normal size. Our room overlooked the pool area and that was lovely to wake up to every morning, two of the other rooms for the guests that were staying with us overlooked the parking lot, and the third had somewhat of a city view - nothing spectacular. Spa was being renovated so services were limited. The beds were extremely comfortable and the pillows were to die for. On the beach outside the Ritz, if you look to your left it is undeveloped or poorly developed- not an appealing view either way. I felt a little disconnected from dining options. The cost for dining at the Ritz was excessively high. There is a nice little cafe that is just to your right when you are walking out the hotel. The cost is reasonable and they have a variety of choices. Walgreens is just a little further down from the cafe and you can stock up on many of the things that you need on a daily basis. The hotel has complimentary water at the front - very nice for starting your day's excursions. Staff is helpful for the most part. We asked for a refridgerator and it was delivered no questions and free of charge. Room service was quick and efficient. The hotel lobby attendants were not always focusing on the customers, quite often they would get carried away in conversation with each other and neglect their duties of catering to the guests. Concierge was amazing. Check in was a slow process, check out was very quick. If I got a great price for the hotel, I would stay there again but I would pursue other options on my next trip. I am a travel agent so this critique may be a little harsh, when I think of the client that I would send to the Ritz in San Juan it would definitely be a business that needs facilities for group training. They have the most beautiful and perfect accomodations for large and small groups.

While in San Juan - the absolute must do expereince is the Bio-luminous Bay kayaking. If you use Rico Sun Tours the cost is minimal per person, the second hi-light was a day on the Catamaran. Again we went through Rico Sun Tours, the cost was $98.00 per person and this was an all day trip with lunch, snorkeling, and beverages - quite simply the best value of our trip. I would have skipped the El Yunque Rain Forest tour for our group and just have sent everyone to the Zip Line Park. It would have been enough Rain Forest experience for our group and it was an excursion of a lifetime. Again, I highly recommend Rico Sun Tours - 787-722-2080. They arrange to pick you up at your hotel, take you directly to where you need to go and bring you back safe and sound.

There are two restaurants close to the hotel that serve authentic meals - my preference is the one on the same side of the street as the Ritz a little further down from Walgreens. The other is located across the street from the cafe area - they serve a ton of food but I would recommend seeking the advice of the waiter. The staff at both of these restaurants could not be more helpful. The people we came in contact in Puerto Rico were just beautiful and wonderful people.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,263)

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

4 of us stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday and the service was impeccable. The staff was very accommodating. Pool/beach are very relaxing however the speed of food & drinks needs improvement. Only true downside to the Ritz is that it's a $20 cab ride into Old San Juan (each way). There's a car rental on site (enterprise) where it's cheaper to rent a car for the day then a round trip cab ride. Driving around PR is a breeze.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank fatcat137
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was my first stay at a Ritz, but have stayed at a number of san juan area hotels as well as marriott properties elsewhere. First, this is the nicest hotel I have stayed in within the san juan area. (have stayed at Hotel El San Juan, Caribe Hilton, Embassy Suites, Marriott). The services is excellent, from the person that greets you at the door to the housekeeping staff in the hallways. The gym and spa were dissapointing as they are under renovations. Pool and grounds are well kept. Room was nice, but I would say on par with nicer Marriott properties, not the large step up I was expecting with a Ritz. For the money, worth it. Lower key and classy with active night life near by.

Room Tip: pool view rooms do have a partial ocean view. the upsell ocean view ones are the ones with a direct...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mike J
Reviewed October 25, 2012

From the moment you step into the lobby, you can tell how well the hotel is taken care of. From the rooms, to the pool area, to the beach area, to the lobby bathrooms- the Ritz is immaculate. The flowers and grounds are impeccable also. The staff is just as perfect as the surroundings. Very attentive, friendly, and they will go out of their way for you. I have been to San Juan several times, but this was my first time staying at this hotel. The next time I go back, I will stay at the Ritz again without a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The facilities and service are what one would expect from this hotel chain. The property is close to the airport and flanked on either side by stretches of public beach and a variety of hotels. The beach has valet service, though we visited on a busy holiday weekend and they ran out of chairs every day we were there. It made for some ugly interactions between hotel guests who were trying to cut lines and bribe valets to get a nice chair. Other than that, the beach was lovely and there was a decent amount of shade. We took surf lessons at the surf school that operates at the edge of the property. There is a strong shore break for people who enjoy surfing;but the break is funky and I was happy to have a local give me a lesson.
The neighborhood is hopping at night and it's easy to find locally owned places with authentic Puerto Rican cuisine within a few minute's walk. That is my only criticism of the restaurants on property: they are somewhat lacking in Caribbean menu items. The lobby bar was a great place to enjoy happy hour, however.

Getting into Old San Juan from the hotel couldn't be easier (though it's a bit of a drive and the $40 round trip adds up after a while), though beware at the taxi stands heading back out to Isla Verde. The 'entrepreneurs' who stand by the taxi stand and try to 'get you a cab' are both aggressive and creepy. Find a hotel and use their taxi stand.

We would definitely go back for another visit!

Room Tip: travelers staying on points should ask about an upgrade...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tiggilulu
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The service was there, friendly, proactive and helpful(except at the pool) but the property to me was tired.
The lounge furniture was shabby and worn, my bathroom was not up to Ritz standards and the over all vibe was not upscale to me.
People in the Club Lounge were great and the food was good and plentiful.

When I sat by the pool two things happened to me that have never happened to me at a Ritz.
1. No one approached me to provide towel service, no one asked if we needed anything.
2. There was a volleyball net in the middle of the pool with a loud and disruptive game going on, are you kidding me, is this spring break, a volley ball net in the pool?
Very disappointing.

On the upside, dinner and service at BLT was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We did not stay at the Ritz but frequently enjoy their lobby bar, which has live music and light but tasty fare along with the bar. Especially enjoyable on this trip to San Juan was Keiko Sabuuchi's sushi, a new addition to the menu. We tried the Crazy Dragon, with Spicy Crab & Avocado Roll, Spicy Tuna on Top, which was a perfect blend of flavor. Nothing broke the harmony. We also had the Churrasco and Amarillo Roll, which was Teriyaki Marinated Skirt Steak , Scallions, with Sweet Plantains on Top. Wonderful. Keiko is a sweet, enthusiastic chef who greets visitors and has been seen helping clear a table in her effort to make everyone happy.

We also had some wonderful desserts, so even if you don't stay at the Ritz in San Juan, it is well worth a romantic evening in the lobby bar.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!