“Great luxury hotel option in San Juan.”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great luxury hotel option in San Juan.”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for 4 nights to attend a destination wedding. This was our first ever stay at a Ritz.

The resort is very nice. The grounds are clean and well-kept. The pool is large and has a few different sections, including a pool volleyball section. The pools also offer cabana rentals for $250 a day. We rented one and it was great for our large group to have a central place to party and relax. The beach is nice- the water is not clear blue like it is in other Caribbean islands, but it is rock-free and fun to play in. The waves are calm.

We had a standard room, which actually did have a partial ocean view (though no balcony unfortunately). The room was a good size. The bathroom was excellent- it was huge and had a nice sink & shower. The toiletries were the house Ritz Carlton brand. One of my favorite things about the room was the soft carpet. I’ve never felt such soft carpet in a hotel room. The room had a HDTV (which gets the standard cable channels), as well as an iPod speaker dock.

The Spa was very nice. You can use all the Spa facilities even if you don’t book a Spa treatment.

The location is in the Isla Verde area of San Juan. I’ve stayed in this area before at the El San Juan, and I have to admit it’s not the greatest area to be in. There isn’t much to do other than hang out at the various hotels. There are local restaurants within walking distance though, which is nice. There is a terrific gelato place called Piu Bello around the corner. You’ll have to take a $20 cab ride to get to Old San Juan (or take the bus, which is much cheaper- coins only though).

Overall, we had a great time at the Ritz. The wedding was beautiful and all of the wedding events were a blast. I asked my friend who is a luxury traveler, and he said the property was on the lower end for a Ritz. We had a terrific wedding rate ($189), so we were very happy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel lets down the Ritz-Carlton name. I had read reviews that the rooms were run down but I didn't listen. I should have. The rooms smelled like mildew and the carpets and paint in the hallways were really in bad need of replacement.

The bed was not comfortable at all and the room we got had a view of what appeared to be a rundown condo next door.

All of this might have been overlooked if the service had been better but it was awful! The bellmen all seemed to be bothered when you walked up to the hotel and they can regularly be found huddled together gossiping like old women. The pool/beach attendants are difficult to flag down and were in no hurry to get to us. The entire week I was there they let the towels pile up on beach chairs until there were literally hundreds of them. At the end of the day, one of the employees would ride up on an ATV and tow them away. This might sound like a great idea to them but to a guest paying $400 per night it's annoying to hear the sound of the ATV when you are trying to nap on the beach. This awful experience almost prevented me from booking with this chain again but I am currently checked in to the Ritz in Cancun and the experience is night and day from San Juan. This hotel is immaculately maintained and the staff is amazing.

Bottom line-you'll kick yourself for staying at this Ritz. Stay next door at the Courtyard. Same view, newer rooms, half the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DesertRatTravelgirl
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed here for a night pre-cruise. I don't understand the bad reviews of this place - perhaps I don't frequent enough Ritz Carltons? We were immediately greeted with champagne and were upgraded to an oceanfront room with a balcony (we had booked a standard room). We have silver status with Marriott and are usually upgraded to the Club level gratis, but I was told that Silver members had to pay $150 at this property. No worries, we skipped the Club but happily took the ocean view room.

The beach was very pretty and clean. An attendant set us up with loungers and an umbrella. it was a super windy day so we ended up at the pool which was pretty and relaxing.

Dinner at BLT Steak was amazing - I am going to try to make some of those popovers since they they gave me the recipe. Casino was small but very nice - good service and I love the random soup and sandwiches that they hand out!

My only complaint was that they charge a 15% resort fee on top of your room rate. This includes WiFi, workout room, etc. I used the WiFi but had no idea I was paying $50 for it. I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

Even with the service fee, I would have no hesitations to stay here again. Great property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank balbacm
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Ritz in San Juan. The staff is incredibly helpful - especially the front desk, bell staff and beach staff! They went above and beyond to make sure our stay was great. The front desk got us a VERY early check in, the bell staff always had excellent advice and a great attitude and the beach staff made us feel like VIP's. The restaurants are average at best and the food unimpressive, even at BLT. Please head out to Old San Juan for excellent and authentic food.
I didn't see any children running around, as spring break was over by early May, but there is tons of room and lots of enjoyable activities for them. I wish my children had been there.
I would absolutely stay again!

Room Tip: Top floors, ocean views!
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Maybe I'm getting spoiled, but I was not impressed with this hotel, but I have been in lots of good and bad hotels in different countries.
Do not get me wrong, this is very good hotel in this location and I felt very comfortable during my stay this Memorial weekend 2012.
So... good and bad thing I can say about my stay.

Good things:
- Rooms are nice and clean.
- Sheets are clean, smelled fresh.
- Free internet in rooms.
- You cam make coffee and tea in your room.
- Nice big pool.
- Friendly staff
- Good location.

Not good thing:
- Beach area very average and crowded.
- You have to pay for parking space.
- Expensive restaurant prices. If you are on a budget, eat outside hotel.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes I would.
Keep traveling.

2 Thank maciejpiotrowski
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Me and my boyfriend spent 5 nights here, we are in our late 20's. The hotel was amazing, beautiful, clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The food and drinks were pricy but they will be at any tourist location.

We had a standard room. The bed was so comfortable, everything looked very new. I would love to stay here again.

I was surprised how well the hotel catered to kids. There were slides on the weekends, clowns, characturie artists, girls beading hair. The hotel beach and pool was very empty all week until Fri/ Sat / Sun but it was Memorial Day weekend. The beach is small but beautiful.

The city of San Juan I was unimpressed with but there are a few restaraunts near by that we walked to. Metropol was the best for dinner.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adewey1213
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Ritz's reputation is that of a classy hotel, and it is; however, this hotel didn't really meet my expectations.

It was obvious that the staff was trained on how to offer good customer service, especially when you first arrive. The bellhops, front desk, and lobby lounge staff were exceptional, but there were some misses...

1. I did not request for an 8:30 am wake up call, especially not after a late night out (I got back at 4 am) on a Sunday morning... To add insult to injury, they did it again the following morning. I called the front desk to put them on notice, but the person who rang me for the wake up call was the same person who answered when I called the front desk.

2. While dining at Mares for lunch, I had to keep flagging down the servers for water. My meal (solo) lasted well over an hour because they weren't always paying attention.

3. The pool:
I get it. A lot of families vacation together and want to stay at the Ritz, but the hotel should also recognize that adults don't necessarily want to mingle or hang out with various ages of children in the pool, especially when they're constantly running into you. A separate pool for "adults only" would be nice.

Customer service was non-existent while I was in the pool; I had to get out and walk to the bar to get myself a beverage.

4. The beach in Carolina is very mellow; no breaks, so no waves... which was a bummer for me because there was no body surfing to be had... The only place where waves were rolling in was the spot for surf lessons (hint: just because you take lessons here, it does not make you a surfer - you should find a real break). I could've played in the waves, but I didn't want to get run over by the surf students.

The beach is also crowded - kids and adults concentrated.

5. The room. This is the most redeeming quality of my stay at the Ritz. I absolutely loved the bed and the two nights I spent here between 19 - 21 May was the best sleep I had in PR during my ten day stay. Sadly, when I stayed there on the eve of the 24th May, I had to deal with the thin walls, where the man's snoring next door kept me up all night. If it had not been for my early morning flight, I would've asked to be moved.

6. The bathroom. The toiletries were disappointing, not the quality I expected (Four Seasons gives you L'Occitane). There was old toothpaste crusted on the sink that was there when I arrived and when I left; I'm not sure why/how housekeeping misses this.

There was also a sign that asks you to use the towel racks to help The Ritz conserve energy and save the environment, but they didn't have enough towel racks and they weren't placed anywhere convenient.

7. Room service: Service is great! The food arrived sooner than expected, which was less than thirty minutes. The only thing disappointing is the quality of the food. I ordered a margherita pizza and fries, which set me back $29 (I was willing to pay for the convenience). It was not worth the $29 I paid because I only managed to eat a slice and a quarter of pizza because I couldn't get myself to eat the food... It was terrible! I would've preferred to eat a Domino's pizza.

8. Lobby bar: As I mentioned earlier, service is great, including the cocktails, but the tuna melt I ordered was the worst tuna melt I ever had.

I want to give the Ritz better marks, but like I said they missed on some key things. I'm not sure it's worth the price that they charge, but when I'm desperate to have a few nights of good sleep, I'll gladly stay at the Ritz next time I'm in PR.

Room Tip: It's tough to guarantee, but ask not to be put next to a loudly snoring man!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,582 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!