“Great Time at Ritz Carlton San Juan!”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Boston,MA
“Great Time at Ritz Carlton San Juan!”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I've learned to take some reviews and understand not everyone is easy to please. I came to the Ritz on a Business/Pleasure trip and I was pleasantly surprised. I come to PR every year and stay at other resorts but this was the best in terms of in San Juan.

Pros:
-Excellent Location - $20 cab ride to Old San Juan, nearby restaurants, etc. Right next to the airport yet you rarely hear a plane.
-Newly Renovated Rooms - More modern/Art Deco..I stayed in a Ocean Front Balcony and I highly recommend it. Some of my co-workers stayed in regular rooms with no views at all. I'd recommend Pool or Ocean View/Front rooms
-Food - The restaurant on the beach has the best fish taco's I've ever had. BLT is always a great time. We ate twice at the hotel but mostly went to Old San Juan for dinners
-Overall service was Okay- Certainly not a true Ritz Carlton experience
-Beach is great - Excellent service and waiters certainly worked for their money. Tipping helps!

Cons:
-As any high end resort, prices are sky high but you know what your signing up for when booking the Ritz Carlton.
-As mentioned in Pros, Service was okay. What would make this property that much better is reorganizing the service aspect of their business. Waiters to be more attentive, front desk to be more willing to help rather than look like they are going out of their way to help. When your paying $600+ a night, this is unacceptable. Now don't get me wrong, everyone was very nice but again, with brands like St. Regis and Ritz Carlton you expect a certain level of service that nears over the tops. I'd pay a $1,000 a night if the bellman called me by my last name every time they saw me (Yes, this actually happens at places like Four Seasons, St.Regis etc.)

Overall I had such a great time I am headed back there in May with my wife. We love San Juan and have a new hotel on our list to continue to stay in. Just hope they implement more training to their staff to recognize their guest. Otherwise, stay at the Ritz!

Room Tip: Pool view or Ocean view or Ocean Front
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank GottisEgo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Upon arrival we were greeted by Yarisa who was fabulous, amazing, sweet and delightful. She was so apologetic when our room request couldn't not be accommodated until the following night, she was the best.
The hotel was luxurious, clean, and very accommodating. The food was great. Our beach lunches were delicious, but the best meal was at Il Mulino. It was stellar. Great relaxing trip. I would go back in a second.

• Stayed January 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in San Juan and have to say that visiting over 10 Ritz-Carltons, this one does not live up to its name. Their service is terrible. I pulled up and there were no bellman to help with my luggage or the door, the maid walked in on me without knocking, the poolboys were nowhere to be found and the waitstaff was too busy chatting with each other rather than attending to me. This property needs some serious help service-wise and does not live up to Ritz-Carlton standards.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank hazzy724
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2012

After reading a few negative reviews about this hotel on Trip Advisor, I have to admit that my wife and I were concerned about our upcoming stay. We recently returned from a 5 day stay here and have nothing but amazing things to say about our experience!

The room was beautiful, clean, comfortable, spacious and quiet. We called in advance to request a feather free room, an extra fridge and early check-in. All of our requests were graciously met. I felt that throughout our stay, the staff went the extra mile to make sure we were always comfortable and taken care of. Our two daughters, ages 4 and 6, were thrilled with the Ritz kids program and all of the restaurants offered a very reasonably priced kids menu.

The beach was clean and beautiful. There was absolutely no seaweed on the beach (as someone previously commented) and the pool area staff were very friendly and accommodating.

In addition, the location of the hotel is fantastic. 5 minutes away from the airport and not noisy at all, 15 minutes from beautiful Old San Juan (20.00 cab ride) and short walking distance from a Walgreens and 24-Hour large grocery store.

My wife and I highly recommend this hotel and are looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Kenneth H
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I have stayed at this property at this point almost ten times.

I have not once had a negative experience. One of the things I enjoy most about this Ritz is the staff. They always take the time to say hello and make the experience as enjoyable as possible for you. Additionally I have always enjoyed the patio breakfasts, and of course, sitting by the beautiful pool.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank davidojs
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 30, 2012

On our vacation to puerto rico we were caught in hurricane Irene! So going from a powerless, humid, and unorganized hotel that apparently did not know how to address guest after a storm we were so happy to walk into the Ritz! They greeted us at the door, walked us up to the counter to check- in, and brought us more water and coffee as soon as we asked! The hotel was also hit just not as bad as ours in fajardo so we couldn't go to the beach or swim in the pool for a day or so. The restaurants were nice and food was good everyone was so nice! I know I would come back here if we ever decide to go back! You never know when a vacation will go bad, but I am glad we came to the Ritz to try an salvage what was left of our crazy vacation!!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Mommy2aprince
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The only thing I'd add besides the BLT steak was awesome and the hotel is sweet etc is that we went down to the El San Juan (Hilton?) and that place was 1/2 the price and just about as nice. It was very cool like Vice City Miami with a Niger casino and nice bars, swanky. I'd consider staying there for 1/2 the money next time.

• Stayed January 2012
#20 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!