“I have found Paradise”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed November 23, 2011

So a quick flight from the East Coast, no passport, no customs, and a tropical paradise make Puerto Rico a wonderful vacation destination. A 5 minute taxi ride from the airport, a stellar staff, and amazing accomodations make the Ritz the best choice for San Juan relaxation. From the moment we arrived at the Ritz, it was pure heaven. The grounds are lush and tropical, the pool area is gorgeous and the beach is great as well. From the moment you arrive, the staff treats you like family and this is the hotels greatest advantage. Their service is phenomenal and they are all one of a kind. I promise that you will be happy you chose this hotel for the staff alone.

The casino is moderatly sized and provides entertainment, the restaurants are amazing. You have to try the chicken parm at Il Mulino and the cocunut grouper sliders at Mares. The bar by the beach has the most amazing frozen mojitos and champagne cocktails. See Michael and he will make you a pretty pink drink with champgne and the local passoua liquor. He was so helpful and kind while we picked his brain about local things to do.

The rooms are very clean and very modern, we loved the beds as well. They were very comfortable! The bathrooms were spacious, with a seperate water closet and a shower/tub combo. Housekeeping kept our room clean and neat the entire trip. It was worth the money to upgrade to a pool/ocean view room. We were on the 8th floor and our view was amazing. 24 hour room service as well. We had one issue with our A/C on the 3rd day of our trip and within 5 minutes there was a repair tech who fixed the problem and we were so impressed.

The spa was wonderful also, I had a facial and enjoyed the products they used so much that I had to bring them home with me. The facilities (shower, sauna, lockers etc) were clean and nice as well. We were able to use these after a long day at the pool as we hurried to catch our flight.

The location of the hotel is great, $20 taxi to Old San Juan, $15 to Condado and $15 to the airport. Very safe as well. We walked to Platos and Metropol for lunch/dinner and it was lovely to be out and about. There was some evenign entertainment in the lobby lounge but it ended pretty early. Seems to be an older crowd at this hotel, but this makes for a quiet and relaxing getaway. We did not want to leave.

I have to mention, Gabriel Albaladejo (the Guest relatons coordinator), he was amazing! Always a smiling face, alaways remembered our names, taught me to salsa dance in the lobby and reccomended amazing places to visit in Old San Juan and Condado. Carlos, the bellman, was also such a pleasure. He told us to get yucca mofongo at Cafe Puerto Rico and we loved it! He was so kind and accomodating each day as he helped us get taxis and decide where to go. Also, I can't remember his name (but they called him the Latin George Clooney) and he helped us with our bags when we checked in. He was so kind as well. You can't go wrong at the Ritz.

Room Tip: higher floors for great views! Upgrade to ocean or pool view, it is worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank tropicaltraveladdict
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Very Expensive ($22 for a Piña Colada wRum) :-( but very Elegant. Is in a great place felt very safe at night walking around the area, lots of places to eat. Service was excellent and the place was amazing very clean.

Room Tip: I think any room is just fine. I had City View very pretty.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IvyFromPuertoRico
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This property is right on the beach and minutes from the airport. Splurge for club level, great food and drinks and a terrific staff. No need to leave the property, a casino, beach, BLT Steakhouse and Il Mulino Restaurant. If you wantnthe massage of your life, ask for Jessica in the spa.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank HowFtLaud
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My fiancee and I stayed here for a surprise weekend getaway after we got engaged. I chose this hotel because its' a Ritz-Carlton (similar to other feedback already posted) and I regularly stay at Ritz-Carltons throughout the world so I had some level of expectation of what I would get.

Overall, the hotel was nice, a very solid Ritz-Carlton, no unlike those in the Carribbean or Mexico. The room was pleasant, properly well maintained, the casino was not too rowdy, the pool was excellent and beach front location was also great. The fitness center, as well as the tennis court, were also fantastic, exceeded my expectation for a small hotel. No complaints here at all (and I'm generally someone who's quite particular and picky).

My issue though (recurring throughout my stay) was the service. It's not what one would expect from a Ritz-Carlton. I think it's more comparable to a Westin or a Marriott - something that is meant to be a large-hotel style service and is generally 1 to 1.5 notches below a Ritz-Carlton. Not sure if it's just different culture and expectation / definition of "service", but just reduce your expectation. At the pool, it was impossible to flag down anyone to serve us drinks. Not that they had a shortage of staff, but they were just busy socializing with each other and walking around without actually helping guests. Front desk was also not overly warm or helpful. Did their job, fine, but again, not what one would expect from a Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: Beach / ocean facing room is a must!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RNG1008
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We chose this hotel because of the name--Ritz Carlton--and because it was listed with the American Express "Fine Hotels in the World" program for platinum card holders. (We've used this AMEX program previously and have been VERY happy with the hotels included--truly great hotel venues). I'm sorry to report that THIS Ritz, in many ways, does NOT live up to the Ritz-Carlton reputation.
The first issue was upon arrival: after checking in, our luggage wasn't delivered to the room for 30 minutes. Upon trying to call the Front Desk to inquire, NO ONE answered the phone upon 3 successive calls. I eventually had to go down to the lobby only to find my luggage STILL sitting on a baggage cart directly in front of the check-in desk. I had to ask that it be delivered immediately.
The accommodations: the rooms are average sized: NOT the spacious, welcoming, and comfortable rooms associated with the Ritz. The junior suite level of accommodation is certainly NOT a suite and failed to meet any pre-conception of the accommodation level.The prices of the rooms are based solely on the views......and they are certainly NOT spectacular.
My "junior suite - city view" was a small room with the view of a local apartment complex immediately next door. Now, understand that I'd called the hotel DIRECTLY to inquire about the accommodation and was given a description that in no way was equal to the level provided. While I was supposed to be upgraded to the next level of service because of my affiliation with AMEX, the next level wasn't available for all three days--but the level of service above that one was....but , no upgrade. I subsequently learned that there were executive suites and full suites available--but the registration staff didn't offer or alert me of the options.
The cleanliness of the room was average: a decent sized stain was present on the carpeting as one entered the room: plain as day. Obviously, the housekeeping staff didn't give a hoot about it let alone correcting it.
Dining: The breakfast was just as another reviewer of this hotel stated: limited options and certainly not the variety you'd, again, expect from the Ritz. Lots of rolls/bread/cereals----not much else. While that would be fine if the breakfast was a continental one: but, it's spun as a "full breakfast" buffet. The restaurant "BLT" has good food: but, like a fellow reviewer, it was VERY expensive and the taste, quality and portions were average. I too felt cheated.
I ordered a fruit plate from room service after inquiring about the types of fruit included: of course, the plate that arrived was nothing as described.
The staff: many of the staff (particularly in the restaurants) seemed pre-occupied and seem to be "put upon" by having to deal with us. This seemed anathema to me given that we were guests at a Ritz-Carlton!!
The SPA: to our surprise, the staffer that greeted us, after inquiring as to whether we'd been to other R-C spas (to which we replied in the affirmative), offered spontaneously that this one was not quite up to the standard(s) of the others we'd visited. Unbelievable !!!

This hotel was Okay: but definitely NOT in the tradition of service synonymous of the Ritz-Carlton and definitely NOT a "five-star" property. And, it certainly was not tantamount to one of the "finest hotels of the world."

Just so ya know.......

Room Tip: Make certain to get a full description of what you're looking for: the descriptions can be over...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We stayed at the beautiful Ritz-Carlton in San Juan as guests at a wedding and could not have been happier. The room was nicely appointed (with a bed so comfortable it made going to sleep a real treat), the bathroom was spacious, and the view of the pool and ocean was lovely. We stayed on the concierge floor and were impressed by the service of the staff in the concierge lounge. The drinks and food there were a great treat, as well. I can't remember the last time I felt so pampered at a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Stayed there for 5 nights in June and could not of been better. The staff was very helpful and courteous.had a problem with the room safe and within 10 minutes the staff repaired it and we were on our way. 3 of the nights we ate at the ritz for dinner and it was exceptional from appetizer to dessert. If we were walking around the area the concierge was very helpful in pointing us in the right direction.

Room Tip: Little pricey but worth it
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!