“All about island time” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Playita Restaurant & Bar

La Playita Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #9 of 41 Restaurants in Isla Verde
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Bar, Seafood, Spanish, Central American, Puerto Rican
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“All about island time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The previous reviews seemed to be hit or miss on this place...we got a little of both tonight. Apps were good, entrees were just ok at best, ordered mahi mahi, 30 minutes later was told they did not have mahi mahi so substituted red snapper...nothing special. The wait staff was great! Free beer and replacement fish was served quickly. Sangria is incredible, view is great. If you are staying on the east side of isla verde, definitely worth the walk. Great wait staff.

Surprise, Arizona
“Relaxing place to unwind and enjoy the views & good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Try the mini-mofongo, we tried the shrimp & chicken and both were excellent! We also tried burger (boring I know!) along with the Shrimp Risotto and both were VERY GOOD!

Visited March 2013
twiggums84
“Great Food! Great Drinks! Ambience! Little pricey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here on the deck over looking the ocean. The place is a little hard to find if you don't know where you're going, especially if you're walking on the street. My suggestion is to walk the beach. That's what we did afterwards and it was a lot faster! And of course nicer! My husband had two of the famous Coco Loco drinks. He said they tasted very good and you could definitely taste the rum! :) A little pricey at $12/each, but we found that to be true at most places. And it was a good size drink. A portion was served in a coconut and what was left was brought to you in a glass. I had a strawberry daquiri, less potent but tasty none the less. We were starving this evening, so we skipped straight to dinner. I had the pork and pineapple and it was by far the best thing I ate the whole entire trip!! It's pork served inside a pineapple with cooked pineapple, carrots, onions and celery. The pork was tender and moist. It tasted amazing. I don't even like celery and it was even good! It also came with plantain fries that were good as well. The best part of them was the dipping sauce. Not sure what it was, but it was delicious. My husband also had their famous burgers with bacon and cheese. The burger was great but the fries just seemed like something out of the freezer. Service was not excellent, but good enough. If I ever visit the island again, I would definitely eat at La Playita again. Also, if you like this place, try Pamela's at Ocean Park as well!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Everett, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This place is fantastic. You can literally walk off the beach in your bathing suit and sit down in this cozy cafe with a fantastic view of the ocean and enjoy a really fresh meal. I had the Mofongo bites, the hamburger and fries (This is the lunch time special), while my friend had an amazing salad with fire roasted tomatoes and grilled chicken over arugula. The food is perfectly prepared and fresh. The kitchen is slow even though there were only a few tables it took a while to get our food. However, this is the pace in Puerto Rico. You cannot expect to get anything fast, so order a drink, watch the ocean and chat with the locales. I would definalty go back again.

Massachusetts
“Went here twice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard/Marriott in Isla Verde, and La Playita was only about a 20 min. walk. (It's even closer if you're staying at the Ritz.) Not exactly a scenic walk, but perfectly safe. The food was EXCELLENT and the place manages to be elegant and romantic but not at all stuffy or formal. Many people dressed casually, but you wouldn't feel silly in nice clothes, either. Re: seating, you had a nice choice of either completely outdoors; or outdoors, but under a canopy; or in the bar area, closed in on three sides and sheltered overhead, but still with a great view of the ocean and a nice breeze. (We opted for the latter.)
Portion sizes were a bit smaller than some other places (like the nearby Metropol, whose portions were HUGE) -- but the food was beautifully cooked and we adored the sangria. Our waiter was very sweet, though a bit shy and with somewhat halting English.
There didn't seem to be much parking, so plan to walk here or take a taxi. And don't be put off by the outward appearance of the Playita hotel; it's a bit hippie/scruffy looking, but the restaurant is way nicer. Anyway, my husband adored the place so much he insisted we come here twice!