“Secluded secret”
Review of Brown Horse Inn

Brown Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Winster
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Brown Horse Inn is a lovely hotel which is a good distance from anywhere to be away from the hustle and bustle, while being close enough to Bowness to be able to visit the local attractions. Because I don't drive I had to get a cab to Bowness, but that only came to £8 and only took about 5 minutes.

The hotel is in a quiet area surrounded by fields and I found this to be idealic. The rooms are lovely, clean and well set out. The bed was very comfy too. The only complaints I have about the room are no water left for guests and there is no wifi in the room I was in. But they are only minor moans as I would happily stay here again.

The breakfast choice is great and tastes fantastic. The food at this hotel was of a high calibre and I can't complain about what I had and the choice that was on offer. It is not just your run of the mill food, but the kind of food I would get for my wife if I was wining and dining her.

Even with all of that above the praise does not stop there. I could not speak highly enough of the staff. They were always helpful, friendly and never rude. Good customer care is one of those things you expect to get and is not always rewarded by employers. I hope these do, as good customer care only adds to a stay and bad always takes away. these were excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I can't recommend this place highly enough. Awesome atmosphere, really great food, excellent own brewed beers and very helpful/friendly staff. We stayed in the South Springfield cottage next to the pub/hotel and we loved it. The location is perfect and only a short drive into Bowness with great walks in all directions. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stopped for a family lunch & really enjoyed it; quick service & great food - this is what modern pub food should be about - thank you. Planning to stay shortly hope that lives up to the lunch - I sure it will.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife for Easter bank holiday...
I was worries when I booked this with it being a pub, that we would be above the pub and hear everything from downstairs, as I am aware that this is a very busy and popular country pub for all the right reasons..
On our arrival we were met by a lovely young chap who was very friendly and couldn't do enough for us..
We were shown to our room, which to our delight was actually to the side of the pub in a tastefully built extension..
Our room had its own access in or out via a little patio area to the front. This meant that you could return home at any hour and not have to go through the pub.
The room had large one way privacy glass, this was delightful as I could lay on the bed in our room (number 8) and look out over the rolling countryside without anyone being able to look in.. BIG thumbs up from me..
The room itself was decorated very tastefully in a Provence shabby chic look..
Care had be taken to ensure that everything complimented each other.. The bed, dressing area and bathroom were all of good sizes..
The room had tea and coffee facilities and a free view tv..
We had breakfast both days, help yourself to cereal and toast and then order for a hearty breakfast of your choice from the menu..
We have been to Windermere several times a year for the last 10 years. We always stay in Bowness or Windermere.. This place is a couple of miles outside of Windermere so off the beaten track a little.. However because of that you get the peace and tranquility of what you would want from the lakes..
I would highly recommend this place to any friend or family member..
We will be retuning again soon..
A lovely relaxing visit..

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Can't comment on the food. I stopped here for a swift pint and was pleasantly surprised to see that they brew their own beer. The ale selection was excellent and the beer I had was really nice. The person who served me (might have been owner or manager) was knowledgeable about the beer and friendly. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Do sample the ales!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

£12 for a lack of seafood starter!!!!!
Delivered without cuttelry or place mats for ten minutes ( not busy!)
Overcooked steak
Cold spinich riccota,
No check from staff!
Double charged for drinks!
Taking the @ iss out of tourists, this really is the kind of overpriced hole that despite being in various pub and michelin tyers guides really should go bust!!!!!!
Rude idiot staff and overpriced poor food!!!!
Seriously dissapointed and annoyed!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Isrm1970
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Haven't stayed at this establishment but had an absolutely fantastic meal here. Unlike other travellers we had no problems at all finding it despite not having a sat nav. The bar area is quirky with large farmhouse style tables and chairs but with candelabra on the tables. Very relaxed atmosphere although they don't start serving food in the evening until 6pm. We therefore took full advantage of a great bottle of sauvignon and a newspaper left on the table. The barman was very knowledgeable about the wine and we ended up with a superb bottle for around £22, think it was called Mud Hut. The restaurant is very nice, relaxing and the food was superb. We didn't intend to have desserts but after a reasonable pause between courses (our choice) we couldn't resist and we were very pleased that we had decided to try them. The only downside to the whole evening was the fact that when we arrived the guy on reception (we came in from the car park) ignored us and he was later to be found in the bar taking bookings and speaking to the staff in a very officious way. i think he was probably the owner but thank goodness his staff knew how to deal with customers as I would imagine he would put people off with his lack of manners. I would definitely return to the Brown Horse as the food is superb.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winster
2 mi away
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe
Lindeth Howe
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Brown Horse Inn? Share your experiences!