We travelled to the hotel with a few reservations. Before we left we read a few more reviews and were concerned about new negative reviews. On our arrival we were happy with the size of our family room and the cleanliness. The balcony and view was excellent. We were staying in a delux room but not one that had been refurbished. The room was a bit dated but not to the extent that I would have felt the need to criticise. As experienced travellers ourselves we would not expect a hotel of Ferrycarrigs age to be in pristine condition.
We had arrived late and just managed an order before the kitchen closed in the bar area. That was the only time we ate in the hotel, other than breakfast. The food was fine. We just prefer to eat out in town when staying in hotels.
The breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly and very helpful though sometimes they did disappear towards the end of breakfast. It's a personal thing but I prefer to see staff have tables cleared before getting their own breakfast.
We only got to use the pool once. It was excellent for the kids as well as adults.
Our kids aged 2&4 loved Giggles the clown. As parents we felt that he did a great job and the rapport with the kids was very good given the varied ages. On the night we saw him there were about 15 children and he made a big deal of all of them individually which was nice to see. Some negative comments that I read recently do not relate at all to the entertainment we experienced. Our 4year old went to he kids club after Giggles and had a great time. As parents sometimes we judge children's activities through our own eyes instead of the kids. I looked at our kids and they loved it. As far as I am concerned the activities fulfilled their promise.
I do agree with some comments about noise in the hotel. There were weddings in the hotel on our first and second night. The noise on the second night was not as bad as the first night. On the first night our kids were restless and we were tired ourselves. That meant we were particularly sensitive to the noise. The hotel needs to manage the noise levels better. The fabric of the building means noise will travel especially in the corridors. The management should police areas where non wedding guests are staying to look after their interests. I think come 11pm the noise from rooms and the corridors should be a priority on wedding nights. There were no noise issues on non wedding days. Wedding guest are paying too. They should have the freedom to enjoy themselves but need to consider others late at night.
I would return again and more importantly I would recommend this hotel to friends. However it is true that areas need updating and believe the hotel should make it a priority. When recommending I would make these points to my friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4-star Hotel located 4 kilometers outside Wexford Town on N11. 102 stylish & spacious bedrooms & suites - all with views of the river Slaney. Award winning waterfront Dry Dock Bar. Reeds at Ferrycarrig waterfront restaurant - 2 AA Rosette Award Winner, 5-star Active Health & Fitness club with 20m pool, Olympic standard gym, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room. Supervised children's play programs, Baby Clubbers (0 - 4 yrs) and Crazy Clubbers (4 yrs - 12 yrs). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Ferrycarrig Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Wexford
- Wexford Hotel Ferrycarrig
- Ferrycarrig Hotel Wexford