“WHERE DO I START...KILLED 9 WASPS IN OUR ROOM ALONE!”
Review of Ferrycarrig Hotel

Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ferrycarrig
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Ok...firstly, we are a family of 2 adults + a 4yr old + a baby. Over the years we have travelled extensively and have stayed in many hotels in many places over various continents,so we feel our review is not only coming out of experience compared to other places that we have stayed in but general day to day expectations one would have from a hotel. Also, never have I felt so compelled to write a review about ANY hotel we have stayed in, maybe its because children are with us.
This hotel was booked for us by a family member as a gift, so we were unaware of it altogether. Our room when we arrived was what you would describe as seriously average. This is a 4star hotel but a 3 star really at best. The reception is modern and updated and misleads you into the décor of the rest of the hotel. Im sure some of the suites or deluxe rooms are lovely but we were in a standard room and it certainly lived up to its name!. I felt like I was transported back to the 1970's. The pictures on the walls were so faded with sun, the chocolate coloured carpet had gross stains in many places, beside my daughters bed was a very questionable stain on the wall , the shower cap box had cotton wool and nail file in it...and my particular favourite was the sock in the room belonging to the previous guest!!!!
Next morning I had to report my issues...it was all small things but it seemed to be an unending amount of them! The Manager Michael I spoke to in fairness didn't question me and said he would sort it out and try to move us. Only problem was...I reported this at 9 in the morning and it wasn't sorted till 1.30 that afternoon. I checked in after breakfast and was told by front desk attendant that it would be sorted but "its a lot of work for us, but we will do it"...to which I thought this was a bit of a patronising manner to say the least. I was very nice about this issue so was surprised at the saga it entailed .We went to pool after breakfast and thus checked with reception after, to which we got told to go for complimentary tea downstairs....I never felt so angry...I was feeling I needed to change after the pool and I was made wait till they found a room at 1.30 which was 4 1/2 hours later . I understand they need to wait for checkouts but that's what computers are for....you get information straight away!!! Somehow I find it hard to believe they cant check on their system what their room situation is in a short while. Anyhow our keys eventually arrived and we were told before hand that we wouldn't be getting an upgrade (EVEN THOUGH I HADNT ASKED FOR ONE!). ....Yet the room we got was exceedingly better...much brighter and better in general and thus made me think that they are charging the same for the 2 rooms when one is miles better than the other...crazy!
It is classed as a family hotel and they have a baby room............we were on level 4 , the baby room is on level 1. This is not much good at 4 o'clock in the morning when you need to heat baby food. No microwaves available in rooms. We had to heat babies food in hot water from kettle. Saga if you have bottles to wash and sterilise. Should take a leaf out of American hotels and have those facilities on each floor....especially if you are a family hotel.
Playground small but nice to have. The hotel has an amazing setting...so beautiful looking out over water, but seriously underused by hotel.. There is no walkway to walk along the water just a relatively small patch of grass...such a pity. I went for a walk on my own with pram and couldn't get down to water as there are few steps so couldn't get down on my own . Baby asleep so wasn't going to bounce her down, ending up walking around car park to get her asleep.
MAJOR ISSUE...THE WASPS!!!!!!!!! They are everywhere...in our room...im sorry but we opened our window... big mistake! The place is swarming with them...beautiful outdoor sitting area but cant sit there...wasps hassling you...not what you want with children.
A lot of the staff were generally nice and one manager was very good one evening I was feeding a bottle to my baby and he kept my food hot without me asking....other than one or two good points...on the whole....it just didn't cut the mustard as far as we were concerned! Pity for such a beautiful setting. Has potential but need to be on the ball bit more! I know this is not a 5star deluxe hotel but these are elements you would expect from any 4 star hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Aine H
nhearne, Front Office Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear AineH,

Thank you for taking the time to supply us with some feedback from your recent stay at Ferrycarrig Hotel.

I am really disappointed to read your comments regarding the efficiency of the Front Office team
on Sunday morning. We genuinely would have facilitated your room move at 9am if this option was available to us. We were 100% occupied on Saturday & Sunday of last weekend. Unfortunately, computers are unable to offer precise timing of individual’s preference of check out time. Guests are welcome to occupy their bedroom until 12noon and naturally, Sunday morning is a relaxing time for all.

I apologise if you felt the girls were in any way patronising, this was certainly not their intention. I believe the Front Desk Clerk was trying to make you aware that she was unable to move you immediately as it would take her a short while to rearrange arriving room allocations to facilitate their needs and yours. Michael, the Manager on duty intended to relocate you to an upgraded bedroom due to the inconvenience, however, due to occupancy demands, we were unable to fulfil this request, hence the apology from Front Desk.

Due to the nature of our rural location, warm temperatures and close proximity to the River Slaney, we are experiencing insects. We have a yearly contract with a Pest Control company to prevent & remove all types of flies & seasonal flying insects, such as wasps. Our Pest Control company have assured us they have taken all necessary action to the best of their ability.

We strive to exceed all our guests’ expectations on a daily basis, and I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

____________________________________________________________________________
Ferrycarrig Hotel values genuine feedback from our guests which help us stay focused on delivering customer care. It forms part of our on-going review of standards and quality service in the Ferrycarrig Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Ferrycarrig Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2013

great hotel, friendly staff, big room with wonderful view... Leisure centre fine...
Sitting outside on the terrace overlooking the river, reading a book and having a drink.... that's what I call a worthy end to a great holiday. My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our 9-day tour along the west and south Irish coast. It was the best hotel we had (out of 4). What can we still find that negative ? Maybe the fact that there was only 1 elevator... But even that was only a minor irritation...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
nhearne, Front Office Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your lovely review & photographs that you have posted on Trip Advisor. It certainly sounds like the perfect ending to a great holiday. We are delighted that you posted an image of guests sitting outside on our outdoor decking area as you were obviously not affected by the seasonal insects that other guests have experienced.

We love hearing from our guests and your kind comments will certainly help to boost our morale during this very busy Summer Season.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ferrycarrig Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife, baby & I really enjoyed a 3 nights stay in this hotel. The weather was great, so the outdoor seating area and green area overlooking the estuary were fabulous. So, the really good:
- our rooms were great. Spacious, clean, great views.
- the staff were all very friendly and welcoming.
- the pool and gym facilities were excellent.
- the dry dock bar, outdoor decking and green area were lovely areas to relax.
- proximity to the Wexford heritage park and Wexford town were brilliant.
So the bad:
- the food. Really isn't very good. The main restaurant served up some dodgy food. It'd fill you up, but that's about it. The dry dock bar was ok.
So, if you're happy to stick with burgers or mainstream bar food in the hotel (or eat somewhere else), then this hotel is really great for families and couples.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Ray_Art,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to Ferrycarrig Hotel. We are truly delighted that you as a family enjoyed our facilities with friendly welcoming staff. We very much appreciate feedback be it positive or negative; this helps to assist us with reviewing and improving hotel services. As a direct consequence of your feedback we have met with our Food and Beverage team and outlined your concerns, naturally they are hugely disappointed that their department has fallen short on attention to detail to you our valued guest. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Ferrycarrig at some future date.

Kind Regards,
Jeanette O’Keeffe,
_____________________________________________________________________________

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Ferrycarrig last April and had a lovely time, rooms very good standard, food in restaurant top class and bar food good too, staff very friendly and helpful. Will def visit again. nice place to relax.

Room Tip: Ask for room with lake view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Trish C,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Ferrycarrig. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Kind Regard,

Jeanette O’Keeffe
General Manager.

________________________________________________________________________________

Reviewed August 19, 2013

As I was attending a recent concert in Wexford, I booked 3 rooms at the Ferrycarrig for myself and my husband, my parents and my sister. I booked way back earlier this year. The rate for the two deluxe rooms was Euro 140 per room per night with breakfast. The single room was Euro 75 per night also with breakfast.
Plenty of parking available particularly on the upper level car park, and a set down area is located just opposite the front door. The check in area was nice and definitely looked like it was revamped recently. Check in was pleasant and although check-in is not until 4pm, our rooms were available at 3.15. All rooms were located on reception level which is actually level 3. We all went to our rooms and naturally had a nose around each one to see if there were any differences in layout or size (which there wasn't). I have to say I was surprised as some of the reviews on TA had led me not to expect very much. Both my room and that of my parents were large with balconies overlooking the Slaney estuary. Not only did these rooms have large and extremely comfortable beds, but there was also a single bed in each room too. The room of my sister (the single) was actually a double room and it too had a balcony overlooking the Slaney.
The decor was not THAT bad - just perhaps a little unimaginative. Nothing looked shabby and it was spotlessly clean.
The room was equipped with phone, TV (could not find the remote), tea/coffee facilities, complimentary water, robes, iron and ironing board. Furniture included a table with 2 chairs and a sofa.
The bathroom, in fairness, definitely needs an update. While also very clean and equipped with hairdrier and simple toiletries, etc. it needs to be brought up to date. But that is purely a cosmetic comment I am making. What we required of a bathroom it provided.
We did not eat at the dry dock so we cannot comment on the food. I agree with some other reviewers who mention the wasps, and yes we found the same problem. Wasps all around you. But we just went inside instead. Luckily, the Dry Dock has an adults only area so if you are staying there without children, it is a nice haven to sit in and have a drink quietly. Otherwise the main area of the Dry Dock - particularly around teatime (5-7pm) - is just full of kids and buggies!
The guests during our stay were predominantly families and extended families. So, if peace and tranquility is what you are looking for, you may not be too happy. From what I observed these families seemed to be having a good time anyhow.
Breakfast was served each morning in Reeds Restaurant. You have to wait to be seated and since breakfast is served until 10.30am, if you arrive anytime after 9am, you may have to wait! Luckily, we didn't on the two mornings we took breakfast.
Breakfast was the usual self service - cereals, porridge, fruit salad, yogurts, muffins, croissants, brown bread, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and black and white pudding. Quality was perfectly fine. Tea and coffee and toast are served at the table. There is also a short à la carte breakfast menu of kippers, poached eggs, etc. if guests prefer. My sister on both mornings tried this option and again, was perfectly good.
All in all I believe that my stay at the Ferrycarrig was a pleasant one; there is nothing that would prevent me from returning. The bill for the stay was correct for what service and accommodation we received. Though, I would have to say, I don't think I would have been too happy to pay any more that what I did.
We did not avail of the on-site leisure club so cannot comment.
All staff encountered were very nice - particular mention of Siobhan in Reeds Restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear FiFiLipton,

We are consistently reinvesting in the property on an annual basis. We have completed in January of this year our main Reception area, ballroom area and 10 bedrooms on our adult only floor. I would like to assure you that we have gone to great lengths with our Pest Control company to ensure that we have taken every possible measure in combating any seasonal insects.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ferrycarrig Hotel,

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I got married here earlier in the year and thanks in small part to the efforts of the staff we had a perfect day. The condition of the hotel was faultless and the staff really went above and beyond - nothing was too much trouble, even helping smarten up buttonholes for the bridal party ahead of the start of the ceremony. The setup of the rooms was was impeccable, and arranged exactly as we requested.

The rooms are fantastic, and all face the river. Naturally we stayed in the bridal suite the night of the wedding, but I stayed in a regular room the preceding night, and it was clean and modern with a lovely view of the river Slaney.

The food was also superb. Having eaten in the restaurant to decide on our menu and been extremely impressed with the quality and presentation, I was sceptical that it would carry through when serving 100 guests. Every person I spoke to said the food was superb and that they'd thoroughly enjoyed their meal. Seconds (and thirds) were readily available for our hungrier guests, and the special work and effort that went into the desserts for the head table was particularly impressive.

I lost count of the number of people who, the following day, told us it was the best wedding they had ever attended, and the staff and venue in general deserve a big part of that credit. Fantastic hotel and one I have no hesitation recommending to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
nhearne, Front Office Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Tony F

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

We are genuinely delighted to read your review. We are very fortunate to have a team who will always try to go above & beyond. It is our absolute pleasure that you & your guests had a wonderful day and created some beautiful memories of this very special occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ferrycarrig Hotel and assure you of our personal attention at all times,

Kindest Regards

Front Office Manager.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I were lucky enough to stay at Ferrycarrig for a night in August. My only regret is that we could not stay longer. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and nothing seemed to much bother. There is a lovely welcoming atmosphere to this place. Our room had a great view of the river and we were reluctant to head out. I am gluten intolerant and there was range of items I could eat. This is something that I have found lacking in other hotel menus in Ireland. The hamburger I had was one of the best I have ever had, it was one of those meals you keep thinking about afterwards. I know that hubbie is already sick of hearing about it. The breakfast was of a high standard and gluten free was not a problem. The homemade style jam and soaked dried fruit were my favourites there. I travel a lot through work and outside work and have stayed in a range of hotels. The Ferrycarrig is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. No sign of any flies or the wasps mentioned in other reviews and no problems with noise. The rooms did seem to have thick walls and I couldn't hear the music from the bar when I did head to bed. I didn't try the spa or pool so can't comment on these or the gym. You do need a car to head into Wexford as it is too far to walk.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view are awesome. I think we were in the higher rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rachel,

It was our great pleasure to welcome you Ferrycarrig Hotel and Wexford. We are delighted to read such high praise. We are very fortunate to have a great team.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our gluten intolerant options and you thoroughly enjoyed the 'Hamburger'. It means a great deal to us all to know that we managed to exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay on your next visit.

Kind Regards

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferrycarrig
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Ferrycarrig Hotel? Share your experiences!