On a cold and wet December weekend, the Ferrycarrig hotel was ideal for that quiet and relaxing weekend break that we wanted before Christmas. From the bedroom with its view over the estuary, the great breakfast and food in the restaurant, a cosy bar with open fires and a decent leisure centre, it was difficult to find a reason to venture out into that rain. And you get the feel that both management and staff at the hotel want you to make the most of your stay - there is plenty of information provided on local attractions (of which there is many), a general friendliness from staff at breakfast and special attention for kids.
The hotel is very child friendly but not in a way that the hotel is so catered for kids that the hotel is unfriendly for adults. Instead the hotel provides facilities for kids and throughout the hotel politely reminds us adults to 'supervise' our kids which seems to have worked this weekend. The hotel also additional touches for those with young kids like a kids food storage and prep area and proper matresses in the cots, which isn't always the case in hotels.
We opted for a junior suite on this occasion but it seems that all rooms overlook the estuary and some have balconies, which would be good on a brighter weekend.
The hotel itself is about 3km outside Wexford Town and its a good base to explore the area including south into Waterford. We didn't get to try any restaurants in the area this time as we landed late on the first night and had a very good dinner in the hotel the second night.
The impression that I had on leaving the Ferrycarrig was better than I had expected from the website. Whilst I knew the hotel was well located on the edge of the Slaney river, I thought that the hotel from the outside looked like it was a typical 'outside town' that would not have much character. However, the hotel is very welcoming and personal and I will definitely be back soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4-star Hotel located 4 kilometers outside Wexford Town on N11. 102 stylish & spacious bedrooms & suites - all with views of the river Slaney. Award winning waterfront Dry Dock Bar. Reeds at Ferrycarrig waterfront restaurant - 2 AA Rosette Award Winner, 5-star Active Health & Fitness club with 20m pool, Olympic standard gym, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room. Supervised children's play programs, Baby Clubbers (0 - 4 yrs) and Crazy Clubbers (4 yrs - 12 yrs). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Ferrycarrig Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Wexford
- Wexford Hotel Ferrycarrig
- Ferrycarrig Hotel Wexford