“OK...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Valley
San Francisco
“OK...”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at Chena HS one night and that was enough. The location is pretty and the hot pool is interesting but we just felt like it was a bit overpriced for the experience. It was the most expensive place we stayed on our whole trip (which included Fairbanks, Anchorage, Barrow, Seward, Whittier & the Alyeska Resort!). Also, our older teens were disappointed they couldn't try the hot pool with us -- the staff told us Alaska law prohibits persons under 18 from being in a pool without chlorine, but another person told us later that's a bunch of hooey ... To be fair, our somewhat negative experience may have been influenced by a fire that occurred on the property the night before we arrived. The staff seemed down about it, which I completely understand, but I don't understand why we were given a room in an empty lodge building that looked directly onto the site of the destruction: hoses still cooling the ruins; why not the other side of the building? OH well.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We travelled from our home in Anchorage to see the interior of Alaska and put Chena Hot Springs on our "must do" list owing to the compelling website and allure of a wilderness spa. Perhaps this place was unique when it first opened, but it's so dated, run-down, dirty and dilapidated that the prices are nothing short of highway robbery. Unless you're such a fan of Alaska that you think even our dives are intriguing, give this over-hyped, filthy and over-priced tourist trap a wide berth!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank norm409

Travelers are raving about these Pleasant Valley hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My Wife and I recently returned from a trip that included Alaska. In May, 2010 we made another trip to Chena Hot Springs. These springs are located approximately sixty miles NE of Fairbanks. What a treat this place is! The springs are hot and sooooooo soothing. Take bathing suits or rent, towels or rent. The price is right and the restaurant is excellent. Now, take it too another level. Go there in winter, we did also. In February the daytime temp. is around minus 20-25F. Nighttime temp. is around minus 30-40F. The springs are so nice and hot and the Northern Lights are so magnificent that you will all but be overwhelmed. We have not stayed at this resort. Rather, we stay in Fairbanks and drive out, roads are in great shape. Either way, do yourself a favor, if in the area take a dip. When the Northern Lights light up, you will have hit a grand slam with your honey. Just like Grand Canyon, you simply have to be there to experience it's grandeur.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Clarks Summit, PA
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I travel a lot and it takes something rather unusual to get me riled up. First I will say this, the Resort itself was fine. We had a room in the Moose Lodge...the room was large, clean and comfortable. We took a tour of the Ice Museum, which is completely amazing. The guide who took us was very nice and really interacted with the guest. Same goes for the girl working the Activities desk. We had no issues there.

We did however have a major issue going into the hot springs. Having never been there before, we had no idea where to go or what to do. When we entered the building that takes you to the pool and then out to the hot springs, the man working the desk told us that he could not give us towels because he was running low. He told us to come back in after we got out of the hot springs and he'd see if there were any available. Hmmm... He then told us that we would need a quarter to open the lockers in each locker room. He "generously" gave us each a quarter and walked away. Again, not knowing what to do we each headed to our locker room. Entering the women's I found it packed wall-to-wall people and not a locker available. I walked back out, found my husband and asked him to put my clothes in his locker. Since I could not even move through the women's locker room, we walked back to the entrance area to find a way to the hot springs. This same man screamed at us that we needed to go back through each of our locker rooms which would take us out to the hot springs. Why he didn't explain that when we first got there is beyond me. So we make our way out, enjoy the hot springs and then go back inside to see if any towels are available. We each get a towel which was almost thin enough to see through. Since the women's locker room was so incredibly packed, I didn't even have room to dry off and get dressed, so I wrapped the towel around me to head back to our room. As I walked out the door, this same man screams at me again, in front of about 30 people, that I am not allowed to take the towel out of the building. He tells me that I have to give the towel to him right then and there. I'm now dripping wet in my swimsuit, it's about 50 degrees and raining outside and I have to walk back to our room in just my swimsuit. People outside were staring at me wondering why I was walking around like that in the cold rain. I was so embarrassed and my huband was furious. Needless to say I got sick. We ran into a few other staff members that needed some retraining as well, but mostly our bad experience was with the man at the hot springs/pool building.

What he should have done when we walked in was say "Have you ever been here before? No? Ok, let me tell you how it works" instead of embarrassing us.

I wrote a letter to the owner and explained what happened. I don't want anything other than him to know that staff and make or break a business. He needs to keep better tabs on what's going on with his people. Hopefully things will turn around there...it is a nice place and a shame to not have the right people working there. I'm marking this review as a recommened place for a friend, but only if I made them aware of what happened first.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cooper13
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We took a trip to Chena Hot Springs Resort for Memorial Weekend. We stayed on the 1st floor of the Moose Lodge. As Alaska residents and/or military members, you can receive a discount on your room if you call and book within 7 days of your trip. Our room was fantastic, well decorated and very clean. We also booked 2 excursions and were not disappointed. We had a tour of the Dog Kennels with Laura. A very nice young lady who was very knowledgeable. We were able to learn more about Dog sledding and the animals. We are looking forward to going back in the winter for a ride on the Dogsled. In the summer, Dog Cart rides are offered. We also booked the Horseback Riding Tour. Once again, Laura was our tour guide. We took a nice tour of the outlying area near the Resort. Rio and Yukon were the horses we rode on. They were very gentle horses. There are also lots of trails with plenty of wildlife to see. The Hot Springs are absolutely amazing. The restaurant features some great food. We had the Grilled Salmon Burger and Chicken BLT for dinner. Breakfast was delicious as well. After seeing some of the negative reviews about the resort, I wanted to be sure to put an honest review from our experience there. We will definitely go back to CHS Resort this winter to enjoy more activities. We also plan to take a few more trips there this summer.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angnjames
Palmer, AK
Reviewed May 27, 2010

This is our fourth time to Chena and here's my take on the bad reviews: the word "Resort" gives the impression that it will be posh and it just isn't. Call it a "Hot Springs Lodge" and maybe people will understand the place is an adventure, not the Hilton.
That said, I'll admit the room prices are steep and we actually spend our nights there at a nearby cabin. However we keep going back--because it is so unique and interesting. The indoor pool has actually been improved (new ceilings & some other work) The outdoor pool is always quiet & relaxing. Negative thing: ladies locker room is tiny and crowded & yes, it would be nice to see better/cleaner showers/toilets/sinks in there as well. The facilities could use a touch of TLC--but there is so much going on all year, don't know what the priorities are (they aren't lazy--that's for sure). I have heard old-timers comment on how much the place has been improved since when the state owned it....
We have never had a problem with staff & always have a nice dinner there at the restaurant. The fresh local lettuce in the salads (I think from his own greenhouse) was great!
Enjoy the hot springs and you have to admire all the interesting projects the owner has going on--just make sure you come with an open mind!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Anchorage
Reviewed May 15, 2010

After reading some of the recent negative reviews posted here we decided to stay in Fairbanks and day trip it. We had a more positive experience than the other people. The showers were clean but the fixtures were faded from the exposure to all the minerals. I spoke to many of the staff members who were friendly and helpful. We did not see the sleeping accommodations. We ate lunch there and had the clam chowder and the pear salad both of which were very very good. We did get to see both the ice museum and the power plant. Which were worth the wait. I think that I would get there before 10 and stay until dinner if we went again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen
Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge

Been to Chena Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!