“Secluded, Hot and Relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Chena Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Valley
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Secluded, Hot and Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

If your looking for a place to go relax, no be bothered and enjoy your self... This is def it. There is no cell phone service up here [so no worrying about people bothering you about how your vacation is going]... The Hot Springs are GREAT!! [There is plenty of room for it not to seem crowded] The desing is like no-other [its practiacal and still makes you feel like you just stumbled upon it while hiking one day].. I would love to visit it in the winter and watch the northern lights [that'll be next time]. This was by far the best part of visiting Alaska [well next to kayaking down the Chena River in Fairbanks]

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

We opted to say in one of the yurts - very pleasant, save for the water pump 50 ft. from the building. The property is... odd. The outdoor pool is fantastic - which is about the only fantastic thing about the place. The locker room is pretty gross and the overall feeling of the property is cheep - which is odd considering the expense of the place.

• Liked — Outdoor pool
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MTBColo

Travelers are raving about these Pleasant Valley hotels

Wasilla
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We have lived in Alaska 10 years as of May. This summer we are not travelling to the outside & decided to keep our dollars in Alaska. I read the reviews and decided that should have better luck if I bumped up to the family suite. The lady who took our reservation was very pleasant & we were excited for our trip. The only thig was that since I reserved the family suite we were not alloted a resident discount. After driving 7 hours and finally checking in at 6:30 pm, I asked instead of the 11 check out could we have it till noon. That was a no go. The restaraunt had a little wait. There was no air whatsever! We were joking that we were losing weight WHILE eating it was so hot in there. The food was a tad higher priced but we had great service & was good. The hot spring is VERY hot. The boys had a good time in the 4.9 ft pool and the property also had 3 jacuzzi's on site. The locker rooms were not the cleanest but not shocking for a pool area.
The next day we signed up for a tour of the ice museum but decided to forego the extra $15 for an ice martini. The lady at the activity desk was very polite. While I was waiting to check out at the hotel desk the clerk seemed to be in a crabby mood & acted rushed although there was not a big line. The gentleman ahead of me was asking about rates & if there is a resident discount. The clerk snapped at him saying she is NOT doing check-ins right now and will only do check outs. He walked off shocked. My turn came up and she did not say a word to me. She passed a paper to me and I had to ask her if we were done. We had a long wait for breakfast (about 15 minutes standing with NO line) made it 20 minutes before the breakfast cut off. Our waiter was very nice but said due to gas prices food rates went up a dollar. Since we saw the menu the night before we noticed it was actually a TWO dollar increase. After we were seated another family was waiting for a table (many were available) it took about 20 minutes from the time the family to be seated to ordering. They wanted breakfast but it was FIVE miutes passed the time & were REFUSED breakfast items.
As for the suite. The property is SEVERELY dated. We had a two room one half bathroom. The shower barely worked to just a drizzle. We did go to the front desk to tell them. A man behind the counter gave us an irritated look but the female desk clerk called for maintenance. He showed up right away but all he did was stand there and told us nothing could be done. we have a feeling this may be a common scenario. My husband is employed by a big plumbing/sheet metal company in AK and knew that was bull. The next morning he took of the hower head & we ran the water....sludge & filth came through and then ended with a trickle again for the morning shower. Obviously the plumbing needs work & new fixtures are needed.
I would like to visit the spring again. I would stay in Fairbanks but drive the hour in just for a day visit. We felt that the resort caters to out of country guests and us locals are just tolerated.

• Liked — The ice museum
  • Disliked — dated rooms with faulty plumbing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank KJ-5
Battle Creek Mich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2008

really good time , room nice, springs hot,used 2 for 1 Alaska tour saver coupon book. just needed a few more comfy spots to sit out side of rooms, Ice museum/Martini Bar is cool. Nice trails to hike .I think I got healed from natural springs...

• Liked — hot springs
  • Disliked — outside sitting or lack of
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Ocean Gate, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

The Chena Hot Springs Resort could really be a first class resort with some real TLC . The room was ok, simple and to the point, we upgraded to the better room, so I can't imagine what the regular rooms are like. The heated lake area was very nice, the water from the spring was hot as advertised. The locker room area and changing rooms were disgusting ! I was very surprised of the poor condition of the grounds as well. This could really be an awesome resort. The tour of the Ice Museum was well worth the price.

• Liked — The large room
  • Disliked — No TV or internet, filthy locker rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flyerno.one
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

The place is beautiful and I went there to see the Aurora lights and the Hot Spring.Never read any of the reviews but the rooms are very clean and it looks like they had just been remodel. The restaurant was understaff the food was ok but the server made up the difference because eventhou he was solo with like 11 tabels his sense of humor was great. Front desk staff needs a little training every one walks by them and they are not acknowledge by them. No customer services at the front desk, no smiles. Love the Ice Museum specially the applemartini, and the activity guide who did the tour very friendly and helpful as well as the drivers from and to the airport. The pool can use a little remodel specially in the locker room. Did not feel comfortable with my 6 year old child in the locker room, with such a small space to change shower and everyone naked. what if you are a singel parent are you suppost to expose your child to nudity. At the pool two local teenagers coupel were making out infront of everybody. I did not travel across the world from florida to see that. The sled dog was a experience but I was not given a speech or explanation about the dogs and trail, was not to thrill was just get on as we got there not even a picture, then as we got back there was just silence, we asked if we could pat the dogs and they said ok. Would it love more info and details. I dont believe it was costly because of the location and because they are just unique on what they have, I would recommend them but they really need to work on customer services and updating and getting the changing room more family oriented.

• Liked — The location and the hot springs
  • Disliked — Front desk services
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

I can't believe all the bad reviews about this resort. I have traveled through alaska and around the world and I feel that this was a great experience. If you wanting a 4 star in a metro area then this resort is not for you, but if you wan't a unique experience in the middle of nowhere then this is the perfect place.
We chose this resort because we wanted to see the northern lights but also have other options if the lights were not out. This resort offers many tours (pricey but fun) and of course the hot springs which were great. Also options to snowshoe and cross country ski if the trails have good snowpack (they had some unusual thawing when we were there so the trails were icy and had water over them, but of course this is up to mother nature)
HOT SPRINGS- hrs from 7 am to midnight, very relaxing. we went into the springs several times during our 4 night stay and enjoyed it very much. The locker rooms are not the greatest and can be crowded but good experience overall. Take a robe with you-you will not regret the extra suitcase once you leave the locker room to get to the hot springs (not far but cold in winter). I can't comment on the swimming pool or hot tubs as we did not use those, except to say not to expect a spa atmosphere.
FOOD- Food was very good, much better then I expected. They have a good selection and also a full bar. Service was slow but friendly related to being understaffed but when your in the middle of nowhere who cares, just enjoy the log cabin feel and relax with some wine.
ROOMS- We stayed in the Moose Lodge which was quite nice and much better then I had expected based on reviews. I can't comment on other rooms. Clean and cozy. TV does only have one channel so if you really need to watch TV then bring a laptop or dvd player and some movies.
TOURS- We did the snowcoach tour to the top of the surrounding mountains and were not dissapointed. expect a bumpy ride! We did see the aurora and it was spectacular, but be aware that it is very cold and you need warm clothing (the resort does offer loaner snowboots and other gear so call ahead to see what they can provide as I brought all my own gear). If you want to take photos of the lights make sure you take a SLR camera). Don't forget that mother nature is in charge of the Northern Lights and you may not see them. We were there for 4 nights and the only really good showing was the snowcoach trip(we were lucky) and one night around 1030 we saw them for approx 5 min while we were in the hot springs(very cool). Make sure you get on the aurora wake up list every day (they will call you if they see the lights in the middle of the night)
We also took the tour of the ice hotel which was very cool including small amount of ice sculptures, ice bar, and ice rooms with ice beds (you can stay overnight in these for 500+ a night, but it would be quite chilly). 15 bucks a person for the tour and if you want to have a martini in a ice martini glass it is another 15, and even though it is a bit pricey it is alot of fun, unique, and provides great photo ops.
We did not do any other tours, so can't comment on them.

I was soooo worried about this trip due to the bad reviews on this site and I am soooo glad that I went anyway. Don't expect a 4 star in a metro area, remember that you are in Alaska in the middle of nowhere and this resort offers nice lodging with good food and recreational opportunities. Even if we had not seen the northern lights we would have had a great time!

• Liked — location, hot springs, activities
  • Disliked — locker rooms, one tv channel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Pleasant Valley
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Chena Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!