“Wonderful stay”

Chena Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Valley
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recently flew to Fairbanks, Alaska and stayed at Chena Hot Springs Resort. I bought the Aurora Odyssey Package. This included: 3 nights, 6 meals, shuttle from airport to Chena, Dog sledding, Mineral Hot Springs, Northern Lights Tour, Ice Museum, Green House, Geothermal Tour. My rooms were squeaky clean, nice and warm. Food was outstanding - Lodge was beautifully decorated for X-mas. Staff - so very helpful. I recommend it for singles, couples and families - they have something for everyone!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mimi M

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights on the Aurora Viewing package. We were concerned because the online reviews were not good, but we had a nice experience.
The shuttle driver was waiting for us at the airport and provided interesting commentary on the drive out. We stopped to have our photo taken at the Alaska pipeline.
We were in the Moose Lodge. Our room was large with nice furnishings and linens. The beds were comfortable. The rooms were hot with no way to adjust the temperature except open the window, which was frozen shut.
The food in the restaurant was fantastic. Scallops and halibut were fresh and tasty. The rack of lamb and filet mignon less so, but still good. Breakfasts were hearty and they have wonderful greens from their greenhouse. We got 6 meals as part of our package.
The northern lights didn't show, but we enjoyed the hot springs, a dog sled ride, a tour of the geothermal facilities and greenhouse and the ice museum.
Staff was generally helpful, although the Japanese employees were hard to understand.
This is an expensive place to stay but we are glad we went.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DbacksFn
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this resort, which we selected in order to see the northern lights. Unfortunately the lights didn't appear but we had an amazing time in the snow, coming from Australia the -20C days were an experience we hadn't had before. The rooms were a little rustic with wobbly dining chairs but the beds were comfortable and we had a lot of room and 2 toilets for the family. The hot springs were magical in the snow and we really enjoyed our dog sled ride and the visit to the ice museum. I would go again, the meals were excellent, those massive Alaskan scallops are something to see

Room Tip: Stay in Moose Lodge which is newer than the cabins we were in
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2013

First: I love the hot springs, and they are well worth visiting. This is a review of the hotel only.

If you can, I strongly recommend staying overnight in Fairbanks and driving out to the hot springs for the day.

We went on Veterans' Day weekend, which happened to be right after the first major snowfall of the year. We got into Fairbanks at 8pm after a day-long train ride from Anchorage (highly recommended), had dinner with friends, and headed out to Chena around 10pm.

I white-knuckled the trip a bit because the roads hadn't been cleared, and the ruts made it difficult to get out of the way when an oncoming car approached. So I was pretty relieved when we finally arrived at Chena to check-in, and was looking forward to crashing hard.

My relief turned to horror when we stepped into the room. It was extremely humid in the room -- I found out later this is because they use the hot water as their heat source -- and the air was clammy and the bedding, though dry to the touch, had a sad, sagging, dingy look to it. I doubt the room has changed in any significant way since at least the 1970s -- ugly plaid bedspreads, peeling animal-themed wallpaper borders, and a decrepit, yellowing shower stall all spoke of a room that hasn't been updated in decades and owners who clearly don't care about their guests' experience.

The last straw was the dried blood on the pillowcase.

Yes, you read that right. DRIED BLOOD ON THE PILLOWCASE.

The front desk clerk was apologetic, but his hands were appparently tied -- there were no other available rooms, and I couldn't face another 2-hour drive on the horrible roads without some sleep.

So we ran up a bar tab to try to take my mind off the BLOODY PILLOWCASE, and spent a few fitful hours on the sagging mattress before getting up to check out the hot springs.

It was awful and depressing and so very far from the romantic stay I had planned. Do yourself a favor and avoid having to stay here overnight.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Mainon
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Here is a list of things that we found when we went for our stay. Maybe the espresso machine being broken, no carry out menu, and no phone were a bit inconvenient. Our room door didn't secure. We had to keep slamming and toying with it. Finally we found that we had to lift and then close it to get it to secure. A whopping 5 cable channels available. The line to eat at the one restaurant on the property was about 2 hours long, thank God for the 2 MRES, hot chocolate I packed and ramen noodles sold in the cafe. The final mood killer to a romantic evening away from Fairbanks was I set my alarm dawned my boots and gear every 2-3 hours to start my car since there are not enough plugins for guests. Some people ran their cars most of the night! We vacated at 5 to turn in my keys, surprise no one at the front desk to accept them or hear any of this! Needless to say the Margarita bottle came back unused and romantic mood-killed! Ok for a 45.00 a night room on Cushman

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angelica M
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I spent 4 nights here with a Road Scholar program after being in Fairbanks for 4 nights. We loved our stay there & didn't mind not having cell phone or internet service. It was a wonderful place to relax & enjoy the snow. Unfortunately it was cloudy every night, so we didn't get to see the aurora, but soaking in the hot spring lake surrounded by snow was wonderful. We stayed in the older lodges where the rooms were small but adequate. The restaurant is a charming log building divided into several small dining rooms that seemed uniquely Alaskan. The food was delicious, although pricey being a captive audience. When we returned to Fairbanks we missed our "Chena salads" with the fresh tomatoes & lettuce. The staff, mostly young college grads, were all friendly & enjoyed talking with the guests. I would love to return sometime in the summer to see what it's like without snow, but we thoroughly enjoyed our snowy experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kanilea361
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Value for money - 50% discount till mid-December
Location - at end of Chena Hot Spring Road, approx 1.5 hours from Fairbanks Airport
Hot Spring - very nice
Room - small and not very clean
Restaurant - only one restaurant and no choice at all

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris A

Been to Chena Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!