“For how much you pay to stay they can't fix up the rooms?”

Chena Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Valley
“For how much you pay to stay they can't fix up the rooms?”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I came to Alaska for our one year wedding anniversary and Chena Hot Springs was recommended to us. I did my research on tripadvisor and saw the reviews were mixed. I needed to decide for myself.

The drive to Chena was very scenic. I enjoyed the drive although it was 8 hours from Anchorage. We got to Chena. I would not call this a resort. I suppose it's a resort for being in the middle of nowhere. I expected rugged we are in the middle of nowhere literally. So we get there and check in. The building where you check in was very cute and inside there is a restaurant. The restaurant was very nice inside and the food was good. A bit pricey but good.

Ok now we check in to our room 103-6 is where we stayed. My husband said it was worse then a super 8 motel. So we walk and and keep in mind this part of Alaska is frigid. We walk in and our room is freezing. The thermometer says 61 degrees. The maintenance man comes and "fixes" the heat. It went from 61 to 63 degrees. We stayed two nights. The morning we were leaving there was no hot water. The girl we checked out with said others have complained about no hot water.

The grounds are beautiful. We could hear the wolves howling at the auorora which was pretty cool. The hot springs was great! The green house and knowing they grow their own veggies was really great. It was a nice place with a lot of potential.

In no way was I looking for a 5 star resort I was fully aware we were in the middle of no where Alaska. It was a nice place I just would not pay full price to go there. There was a special going on for half price rooms that is the only reason we checked this place out. It is not worth the money to stay here for full price. The rooms are beyond crappy there is no fridge/microwave and 2 channels on the tv. Why even have the tv? The beds were extra crappy with an old mattress with a memory foam pad underneath.

The staff was very friendly so that was a plus. The ice museum was really really cool def check that out. I didn't think the $15 martini was worth buying so I did not.

This place gets a lot of business. There is no reason they can't upgrade this place to give it a feel more like a resort rather then camp bc that is what it felt like- a camp for adults.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Moopboo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
BLAIRSVILLE
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Have to say for what you pay the rooms are only average, but the hot springs are wonderful. We did have a magnificient breakfast in the lodge restaurant. All the ingredients in my wife's vegetable omelette were grown on the resort property (can't get any fresher than that). We didn't eat dinner the night before because the bar is also part of the dining room and there was a loud, profane rowdy group of men at the bar so we chose not to stay and listen to their profanities. The waiter was very nice and apologetic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danjo471
mims florida
Reviewed October 2, 2012

It had been suggested to us that we stay at this Resort, an hour east of Fairbanks but the reviews indicated all was not well with the accomodation,however we did want to experience the natural hot springs, which one can for $8 each (plus 25c for a locker!) and they are excellent, and you can also use the 3 hot tubs and indoor heated pool. We liked the real flowers on the walkway from pool to outdoor hot springs lake. Hot, properly hot, over 105F.
Earlier we enjoyed the Ice Museum for $15 (don't pay another $15 for the martini) which has some fine sculptures in ice, 4 bedrooms!, an altar, a bar, but actually is still worth seeing. Cold!
We wondered about the restaurant as the cafe was pretty basic run by Japanese interns but we had Jonny serve us in the full service restaurant and the meal was excellent-halibut and chips, wine available, creme brulee for desert and not too expensive considering this place is the middle of nowhere.
The normal night rate is about $250 and even a half price offer they hav eon now did not tempt us to stay, the hotel part looks run down. But a trip, yes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gwgMimsFlorida
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The family cabin is lack of maintenance. The mattress sinks in the middle, low water flow from the showerhead, the blinds is incomplete, and the broken window is fixed by tapes. Also, the water in the washroom for the pool is cold. Not recommend to stay overnight there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CharleneHsu

Travelers are raving about these Pleasant Valley hotels

British Columbia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

12 months ago I was here and loved the hot lake. I could see it was a bit run down but I also thought they were makng progress. One year later the entry to the pool and women's washroom is greatly improved with the green houses operating at full tilt. It's still a wonderful soak and I'd go back just for that.
This year we decided to stay overnight. Worst check in we had in Alaska. If they could have found someone who cared less for our needs, it would have been a fantasy trip. (oh, well, she provided lots of comic acting opportunities while we awaited dinner.) We paid a lot to stay in a really bad room. Bldg.46 I think. Our friends stayed in the newer lodge (Moose?) which looked better but smelled dreadful. We felt we didn't really have a choice if we wanted to see the Aurora - which we did. (not spectacular but glad we did it) Dinner was incredibly slow. After an hour and watching others who had arrived later order, eat, pay and leave, we finally got the manager involved and all our food arrived at once - including some items we hadn't ordered - so not sure who else didn't get dinner. The salads were tasty. Cooked items might have been kept a little too long. We were a bit surprised not to be offered a dessert or something as this was clearly their screw-up. I didn't bother with breakfast (didn't need anymore torture) but when I joined those who did, they told me to avoid the coffee. It was served cold and weak. So, bottom line - they are the only show in town so you just have to suck it up regards quality of room and food service. I think they'll eventually get there but competition would be a terrific motivator for this place.

Room Tip: In the Moose Lodge you'll have a phone so they'll call you when the lights appear. In our o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Ok, its not the prettiest resort in the world. The hotel accomodation is expensive and basic and the place looks pretty run down but balancing this out is the great ethos behind the place, the great staff especially Rachel the barmaid and the just out and out loopiness of it. Once you get over how grubby things are you start to relax and get into things. There aren't enough wait staff and the wait to eat is annoying but the food is wonderful when you get it. Sit up at the bar and you can cut the queue. There are nice walks around the property and when you get to see the northern lights they really are impressive. The only slight let down was the springs which were grubby and pretty uncomfortable to sit in. But if you go at night after a few cocktails they become quite magical. Mostly as you can't see how dirty they are. Go once just for the experience.

Room Tip: Moose lodge seems the way to go
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Homer, Alaska
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Love to come here spring time. The weather not too cold and not too hot. Early June beautiful weather. Great place to leave your worries behind. The Rock Lake is the best part. It has no chlorine and is natural spring waters. It feels great before a massage. Great getaway for a couple or to reunite with friends and family. Will definately return for another trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
#7 of 7 in Delta Junction
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Chena Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!