“I wish we would have avoided this place”

Restaurante Don Javier
Ranked #234 of 300 Restaurants in Ronda
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Coordinates 36.741192,-5.166149
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We did not stay in the related hotel - we only had dinner in teh restaurant. The location is very central, next to the bull fighting area. The fish (dorada) I had was not very fresh and the sauce had a terrible taste. So most of the dish went back (as the one of our neibor table)..
Salad (de la casa) as a starter and wine (chinchilla seis+se) were ok.
We never would recommend this restaurant to friends.

26  Thank fxb

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Our first night in Ronda also our wedding anniversary and we were looking for a small, not to busy restaurant to have a nice meal. It looked okay from outside, quite cosy and not busy.
I had the Rabbit Ronda style and I must admit it tasted okay but not good and not a lot of meat in the portion. My wife had sea bass and king prawn on a skewer and what a mistake that was, it was all overcooked and just edible. The veg on both our plates was either out of a tin or jar or maybe frozen but certainly not fresh and even the boiled potatoes on her plate were probably out of a tin. How they can serve this rubbish when there is so much fresh veg in Spain I do not know. For the price it was a rip off
I have given them one star only because the elderly waiter was quite friendly. As a previous reviewer has said they need a new chef or maybe just a chef not the cook they have at the moment

25  Thank John M
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Can't deny the negative reviews are correct.After almost falling in the door (a steep step) we thought it looked really nice, should have noticed we were the only people. I ordered from the set menu the fresh cream of vegetable soup was tinned tomato with a funny green tinge underneath, but it tasted ok.The roast chicken was a huge lump of dry and stringy deep fried chicken that was cold in parts, the chips were reheated but still cold and the tinned mixed veg cold and disgusting. My husband had tapas that looked and unfortuneately tasted like a food challenge from I'm a Celebrity...awful. My homemade tinned custard was the best bit of this terrible meal. However the staff were friendly and the restaurant surroundings lovely. Just need to get a new chef and it would be ok.

25  Thank gardenofengland
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Kids were hungry, and we'd just arrived in Ronda, so chose this place quickly. Mistake....the staff are all nice and there's a good outside atmosphere, but the food is 'school dinners' quality. My wife's salmon was apparently good, but everything else was pretty awful. Bill of €108 for five of us, one course, was just not worth it. Avoid like the plague!

30  Thank jw6969
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Wanted to try an authentic Spanish paella and am not a food snob (honest!) - this was the most atrocious food I have ever seen! I was served raw clams, pathetic langoustines and pieces of chicken with the spine bone intact!!! To add injury to insult the gazpacho was overwheled with onion and god knows what they did to the vegetables! Do not try the rhonda sausage - heavy, fatty rubbish served on quick fry chips! A plea from your taste buds and stomach - DO NOT EAT HERE! !!!!

25  Thank Riggerbootsuk