“Acinipo or Ronda la Vieja”

Ciudad Romana de Acinipo
Ranked #34 of 86 things to do in Ronda
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Not very easy to find (I would describe it as being in the middle of nowhere), but very nice drive through the mountains and pueblos blancos. The site is not properly excavated, and only the theater and the baths are left to be seen. There is no information about the city on the site so read on Google before visiting. The views from the theater and higher up from the geographical marker of 999 meters are amazing. Definitively worth the visit.

1  Thank camistan
There are newer reviews for Ciudad Romana de Acinipo

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We loved this site and enjoyed roaming around in complete privacy. It was even raining but the changing clouds and vistas were beautiful nonetheless. Very picturesque. We learned more about the site from an exhibit in Ronda's Palacio Mondragon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

As an archaeologist I naturally read up on the place, so we could enjoy the whole of the site, not only the (although magnificent) view from the theatre. The theatre itself is great, too bad they don't have any signs, maps etc. with explanation. I can imagine if you're no archaeologist you can't make anything out of the structures other than the theatre.
Most people who go up here are aware of the Roman ruins, but there are also some Bronze age structures (1,100-750 BC), circular hut-structures near the car park, well worth seeking out if you know what you are looking for. (There are actually structures, rounded and rectangular, from several phases of the Bronze age. Also evidence of a Neolithic settlement)

The theatre itself is at the top of the escarpment and seated about 2,000 people and was build between 65-200 AD.

The bathy area was partially restored in more recent times.

The city of Acinipo was about 32 hectare and minted its own money, so really not a minor city!
I think people would be willing to pay a small fee if they were provided with a small leaflet with some explanation of the site or maybe a sign or two on the spot!

7  Thank seolram
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I first began looking for this theatre in 1970. I had found one photograph of it, but no one seemed to know where it was. I finally found it in late 1972 at the end of a rocky road that wove around and continuously climbed uphill. When the road ended my friends and I looked to our left and saw not only a farmer attempting to follow his horse and plow through a rock strewn field, but also the ruins of the theatre. He said we could climb up and have a look. As a recent drama graduate from the University of Washington with a passion for theatre history, I was not disappointed! At that time the only Roman structure in the area was the theatre, and a wall behind it. Beyond the wall was a deep drop off with beautiful fertile farm land below. We arrived at dusk and the romance of the light plus the view and ruins made this an incredible experience. I returned to this site in March of 2010 and was surprised to find that nothing much had changed. Some digging had occurred over the years and parts of two other structures were visible. The site was also covered with piles of rocks to be reconstructed some day. The road to the site had washed out. Parking the van, 8 of us made the climb up to the area which was now fenced and part of the protected historical sites of Spain. It was at this time I realized that the rocky field the farmer had been trying to tame was the site of the Roman city of Acinipo and the rocks he dug up were from buildings in the town! I again returned to the site with a group of photography students in 2011 and 2013. Not much has changed in the digging or re-assembly of this town, but the romance of finding it has stayed with me. I recommend it to everyone who has a passion for all things Roman, and for the history of the theatre.

2  Thank PRichards_13
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A Roman ruins with a theater and baths but most other stones have been displaced. The reason to come here is to explore the countryside, walk up the hillside and view the valley beyond the theater, breathe in and out and enjoy being away from the crowds in a place with no fee and no toilets.

1  Thank mjrg59