I met a great variety of employees (Douglas (founder), Hugh, Lars, Paola, Emanuel, my fantastic guides Delfin & Juan, and several attentive folks whose names I missed) and all of them provided excellent, attentive service. Their cause - educating locals and travelers about the importance of the amazon jungle ecosystem - was always present but never pushy. Rather than getting in the way, their cause adds to your personal experience so you know your experience is contributing in a positive way.
Other lodges may be 'deeper' in the jungle, but Yachana has access to large pieces of primary (untouched) jungle that provide tourists like me the amazing, life-changing experience we hope to enjoy when we travel, plus it gives back to the local people of all tribes as a whole -- not just helping a single, local community - through education and opportunity.
Additionally, Yachana only hires locals as guides. I enjoyed a freelance guide (Delfin) and a guide who serves on the Yachana board (Juan) -- both of whom come from communities where they still use blowguns to hunt, run barefoot through the jungle, and many of the people have never seen a car in their lives. Authentic. Real. I definitely recommend spending time with Yachana Lodge! Great cause. Great experience. Great service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- After 17 years of operating on the other side of the Napo River, we have built a new, stunningly beautiful Yachana Lodge within our 2,500-acre reserve. In our new location you will discover a hidden secret of the Amazon: a world class, award winning "Geotourism Lodge". There are 14 luxurious cabins built on a bluff overlooking the Napo River with spectacular views of the river and the Andes in the distance, surrounded by lush natural forests and beautiful gardens. All cabins have private bathrooms with hot water shower and large porches with hammocks. A major activity for our guests is our Lost Foods of the Amazon culinary program; visiting and harvesting on a local farm, then preparing your lunch and eating it in our beautiful, open dining area designed in the style of a typical Amazonian hut, with spectacular views of the Napo River. We also offer walks in the rainforest, incredible birding and other cultural activities. Yachana's accommodations and activities are targeted at the traveller who cares about sustaining and enhancing the geographical character of the Amazon - its rainforest environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage, and the well being of its residents. The Yachana Foundation for 23 years has created opportunities in ecotourism, education, conservation, income generation and health care throughout the Ecuadorian Amazon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Yachana Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yachana Hotel Napo Province
- Yachana Lodge Ecuador/Napo