“Yachana Lodge- Spectaular Setting”
Review of Yachana Lodge

Yachana Lodge
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed three nights at Yachana. Their location is beautiful (you take a three hour boat ride from Coca). The rooms are nice, but not over the top, the food was really good, We had a guide assigned to only family and he was great (Jose). The profits from the lodge run a high school for indigenous youth so they have a good thing going. Just a great Amazon experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2008

A wonderful experience. On the canoe ride to the lodge a large snake popped its head up out of the water right next to me! Luckily, I love reptiles so I was delighted. Of course noo ne else saw it so they must have thought I was crazy. The rooms were very nice and I felt very safe with armed guards at my doorstep every night. The food was excellent, the fresh fruit, it was all very good for being in the middle of nowhere especially. Juan was our guide and was very informative. We saw birds, monkeys, and poisonous frogs. He took us intertubing down the river, so much fun. The whole experience was enchanting and unique.

Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank flrootsgirl
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Unlike many for-profit ecotourism sites, Yachana Lodge operates primarily as a funding source for a nearby high school where indigenous students receive technical training in animal husbandry, computers, microenterprise, and ecotourism. For me, this makes Yachana a special place. Not only did we (my wife and I) have a terrific rain forest experience, I also knew that we were helping to make a difference. As a plus, Yachana Lodge has been internationally recognized for their efforts to be ecologically friendly. The food was very good, the rooms were comfortable, the staff was very attentive, and educational and/or entertaining rainforest activities filled every day. Don't expect to see headhunters, jaguars, or giant alligators. The rain forest along the Napo River is about biodiversity--primarily plants and small animals(reptiles, spiders, birds, etc.)--and the people who live along or near its banks. It is an authentic, ecologically sound, and socially responsible experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2008

My family and I have just got back from a trip to Yachana Lodge and only have good things to say about the place. Do not go to Yachana expectign to see large animals or to be VERY deep into the Jungle, but for us it was perfect. The Lodge itself is very comfortable, not 5 star but then it doesnt profess to be. Everything is comfortable, loads of hot water, comfortable beds, very clean and very helpful staff. Abel, our guide was incredible and his knowledge of the local area was phenomenal.

The work that Yachana is doing in the community is fascinating and very comendable. All the profits go back into the community and we got a great insight into how a proper Eco Lodge should be run. Douglas, the founder, is still very active in the project and a true visionary.

I would recomend this Lodge to anyone wanting a memorable and inspiring trip into the Jungle. However, do not expect to see large animals.

Many thanks to all at Yachana, especially Abel and Douglas.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2007

Located just above the Napo River and 2.5 hours by canoe East of Coca, the Yachana Lodge provides an authentic Amazonian rain forest experience.

Nature hikes led by Juan were absolutely fantastic, if you go make sure to request Juan as your guide. He tells the story of the Amazon based on his lifelong experiences. You will be amazed by his breadth of knowledge in flora and fauna, as well as politics and social issues.

The rooms are basic, with only a ceiling fan to beat the heat, but large, individual bathrooms make it a comfortable stay. The food is a wide range from basic spaghetti to grilled fresh talapia prepared over an open fire in a large yucca leaf. A self-serve bar provides a cold beer or soda after a hot day.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed July 30, 2007

My husband and I took our 5 children (aged 9 to 18) to Yachana Lodge. It lived up to our expectations. We've been to other eco-lodges in other countries, and this was by far the most authentic. The food was GREAT. Even my teens snarfed it up. Everything was always very nicely presented. Our rooms were neat, and cleaned every day. We were very comfortable. There are a lot of activities to choose from; you won't be able to do every single one of them because of time, but your guide will definitely pack your schedule. The siesta time in the afternoon was great. We really liked the 'float' down the Napo river on our inner-tubes, and just floating down in our life jackets. It was a ton of fun! We loved seeing the high school and seeing all the projects the kids are working on with their gardening, animal husbandry, fish farming, etc. The night hike was awesome, as well as the day hikes. Our guide showed us all kinds of incredible insects and critters, as well as birds, butterflies and cool plants. He made a water-bottle carrier for my son, out of a palm frond. Nobody was bored one bit. The owner and managers of the lodge were always making sure we were happy and that the service was satisfactory. It was!! It was great!!! LOVE THE CHOCOLATE!!!!!! What do I wish I brought for this trip?? More long socks!! The rubber boots Yachana provides are a must for the jungle; bring long socks!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank SanDiegoMom_of_5
Reviewed October 22, 2006

I have now visited Yachana Lodge twice, once in the summer of 2004 as part of a volunteer programme and again this summer; and there is no doubt that I will visit the lodge again in the near future. The work carried out there is the best example I have possibly ever seen of a sustainable, environmentally friendly project of this kind, and the community undoubtedly benefit from the lodge. I was totally enraged when I read the review written by the lady from Russia. Fair enough, the activities are adapted to the needs of the group. But it is impossible to blame the lodge if every rainforest animal is not seen on a trip to Yachana. It is important to remember that the animals are wild, and don't stay around the lodge on the off chance that a tourist might want to see them, which is what this lady seemed to expect. Some tourists will undoubtedly see more wildlife than others, but this risk is taken on every holiday of this kind. Both times I have visited the lodge, I have felt more than satisfied with the wildlife I saw. Also, I cannot believe that the lady asked for a full refund. The lodge is run by a charity which carries out incredibly valuable, worthwhile work, and many peoples' livelihoods (mostly those in the local community) depend upon this. If they were to give this lady a full refund the charity would lose money, which would otherwise be spent improving the school which has just been completed from money made by the lodge, or other such projects. Anyone with even half a heart, especially someone who has seen these projects in action and the beneficial effect they have, would never have asked for money back from Yachana. I could carry on with how disgusted I was with this review but I think enough has been said. If you're even slightly considering visiting Yachana, you should most definitely go. I have been fortunate enough to travel to many places in my life, but Yachana Lodge still remains my favourite place to visit. I don't have a bad word to say about it and couldn't fault it in any way!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends