Fed up with the neighbouring Cherai Beach Resort's inflated claims, we walked into this spanking new resort on our first evening walk out on Cherai beach. Immaculately designed rooms and friendly staff were a big draw in us making the decision to switch from CBR to here. Besides they matched the rates of the CBR considering that their rack rates start at 5 digits, plus the insane government taxes. The evening front office manager, Mathew, was polite, informative and open to negotiations. Full marks to him on how to make a sale so much so that we moved in the first thing next morning.
They gave us a room on the upper floor of a villa which was comfortable and spacious. It has all the amenities, 24-hour electricity, hot water, ample plug points etc. They even sent us a small fruit platter and a couple of cookies in designer steel dishes. The pool is large and clean and the lifeguard is helpful and considerate. The restaurant is clean, though a little strangely designed (I think they lost the plot here) and the menu is varied. The chef is a pure genius. Prices at the restaurant are inclusive of tax. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. Note for tipplers - they did not have a license to serve alcohol when we visited but should have one by start 2013. Having waxed eloquent, here are a few things you should check with the Indriya before you book:-
1) Check if they have any events planned in the lawns, especially those that involve lights and loud music. We were honoured to witness one such event on the Indriya lawns, that made us run to the Cherai Beach Resort for dinner and which left the lawns strewn with garbage, that was not cleaned up till late the next morning. Maybe dustbins would be a good investment and so would taking the music indoors.
2) They have a system of allowing day guests to use their pool and other facilities. We had the horrible experience of interacting with a group of rowdy young locals who appropriated the pool and created a nuisance of themselves one morning. Their cat calls drove away a foreign woman who was reading by the poolside while the management just stood around and watched. They broke every rule made for the pool and it was not till I demanded a full refund and threatened to check out that they finally intervened. I don't even know if they did intervene or that natural tiredness made the pool idiots leave. To pacify us they upgraded us to a villa with a private jacuzzi but the damage was already done. The management does not realise that in the race for money they are damaging their reputation by letting in day guests who do not know how to behave themselves.
Having said that, they made up for it by giving us an outstanding anniversary dinner on their terrace restaurant, which was not really operational. So we were the only guest and the chef generously waited on us personally. I do feel bad - he is a great chef and thorough gentleman. Please try the squid chilly/pepper fry, the stuffed mullet and the prawn moily with steaming appams. We want to say a big "thank you" for making our visit worthwhile.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indriya Beach Resort and Spa consists of secluded luxury cottages, sumptuously appointed executive suites, banquet areas and a state of the art spa set on an elegant landscape dotted with palms and tropical plants. Nestled between the Cherai beach and lagoon, serenity is the order of the day. Lulled by the hush of the lagoon, the calls of tropical birds, canoes sending soft ripples through the water, the muttered voices of fishermen and in the background the muted growl of the sea, the hiss of waves descending on the beach - you are in the realm of forces primal and sensual. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Club Mahindra Cherai Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Mahindra Cherai Beach Kerala, India