“So close to Nirvana...”

Club Mahindra Cherai Beach
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cherai Beach
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fed up with the neighbouring Cherai Beach Resort's inflated claims, we walked into this spanking new resort on our first evening walk out on Cherai beach. Immaculately designed rooms and friendly staff were a big draw in us making the decision to switch from CBR to here. Besides they matched the rates of the CBR considering that their rack rates start at 5 digits, plus the insane government taxes. The evening front office manager, Mathew, was polite, informative and open to negotiations. Full marks to him on how to make a sale so much so that we moved in the first thing next morning.

They gave us a room on the upper floor of a villa which was comfortable and spacious. It has all the amenities, 24-hour electricity, hot water, ample plug points etc. They even sent us a small fruit platter and a couple of cookies in designer steel dishes. The pool is large and clean and the lifeguard is helpful and considerate. The restaurant is clean, though a little strangely designed (I think they lost the plot here) and the menu is varied. The chef is a pure genius. Prices at the restaurant are inclusive of tax. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. Note for tipplers - they did not have a license to serve alcohol when we visited but should have one by start 2013. Having waxed eloquent, here are a few things you should check with the Indriya before you book:-

1) Check if they have any events planned in the lawns, especially those that involve lights and loud music. We were honoured to witness one such event on the Indriya lawns, that made us run to the Cherai Beach Resort for dinner and which left the lawns strewn with garbage, that was not cleaned up till late the next morning. Maybe dustbins would be a good investment and so would taking the music indoors.

2) They have a system of allowing day guests to use their pool and other facilities. We had the horrible experience of interacting with a group of rowdy young locals who appropriated the pool and created a nuisance of themselves one morning. Their cat calls drove away a foreign woman who was reading by the poolside while the management just stood around and watched. They broke every rule made for the pool and it was not till I demanded a full refund and threatened to check out that they finally intervened. I don't even know if they did intervene or that natural tiredness made the pool idiots leave. To pacify us they upgraded us to a villa with a private jacuzzi but the damage was already done. The management does not realise that in the race for money they are damaging their reputation by letting in day guests who do not know how to behave themselves.

Having said that, they made up for it by giving us an outstanding anniversary dinner on their terrace restaurant, which was not really operational. So we were the only guest and the chef generously waited on us personally. I do feel bad - he is a great chef and thorough gentleman. Please try the squid chilly/pepper fry, the stuffed mullet and the prawn moily with steaming appams. We want to say a big "thank you" for making our visit worthwhile.

6  Thank mraquamarine
There are newer reviews for Club Mahindra Cherai Beach

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night.great location just on the beach in front and back water touching the hotel periphery on one side.food options are very limited and service takes lot of time but the waiters serves food with a smile.overall good start to our family holiday.

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank Vikas78
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay at Indriya during our visit to Cochin. We stayed for 2 nights in the Periyar style room. Let me first say that my husband is from Kerala so I had the opportunity to soak in some local culture and visit other towns. This is the reason why I didn't exactly label items as Cons as it seems like it is just the norm here.

Pros:
*The resort itself is fairly clean and well maintained. They have been open for only a few months so this is to be expected.
*the Periyar we stayed in had modern western amenities (having toliet paper is always nice when coming from the US). The view from our patio was overlooking the lake which was pretty nice. If you ask the hotel concierge, they will give you a bamboo fishing rod and bait where you can fish in the lake. My husband caught a couple of pearl spot fish...and I think if you ask the hotel, they might cook the fish for you.
*There are 2 restaurants in the hotel although I only had the opportunity to try one. The one I didn't try is supposedly at the front of the hotel and had good local food according to my husband. The one I did try had a variety of north indian, south indian, local Kerala food as well as western and chinese food. Just a note here: This is India, so the pasta won't taste like its from Italy and the chinese food won't taste like its from China. :)
*The service of the staff is friendly and most speak english.
*The ayuveda spa had alot of different treatments which can be purchased as a stand alone or a package. I purchased a 2 day package which was a little on the high side but not too bad. The facility seemed pretty clean.

Things that you might want to consider (may or may not be considered Cons):
*This is not what most would consider a five star hotel. Maybe 3.5-4 in american standards. In addition, the price for the room was a little high in my opinion. Understood that December is high season but for some reason, paying 18000 rupees (about $330) for a room in India seems odd to me.
*Service is slow in all places I visited but for some reason I was surprsied to see that it was also slow here. I guess I expected different considering its catered towards foreigners.
*This resort is nice but once you walk out its gates, its kind of messy. Not exactly a touristy place where you can walk around and do some shopping. Also this is not a walkable distance to downtown Cochin. This is near the coast so you will need to ride a taxi into the city which may or may not take anywhere from 30-45 mins because of traffic.
*only beer - no wine or liquor.

6  Thank BayAreaChino
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Based on the info on the homepage, we expected a five star resort. The reality was very different; limited assortment and poor quality of food that seemed not homemade, no wine and beer in restaurant, only available in room(!) due to lack of license, as explained by staff. Staff had poor English and Hindi knowledge, which made communication difficult.
The resort is located on the edge of a village without any proper eating facilities nearby.

The room itself was ok, but the level of cleanliness was below par (food under the bed, stained towels and bird droppings on terrace).

At the pool there were only five beds available for 50 guests.

The only 5-star at this resort was the pricing. Also, when complaining, extremely difficult to reach management.
Our only good experience was sunrise morning swim at beach across street.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Petter A
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We arranged for a family lunch on December 22, 2012. My planning and all arrangements were made through the central reservation managed by Mr. Binju. Even though we were overseas and did all the arrangement's via email, each and every expectation was met. The party area was beautiful with a very nice view of the backwater, food was great and the staff of catering was exceptional with the wonderful leadership of the catering manager. My family members were very pleased that the hotel allowed their children to swim at the resort even though we were not staying at the resort, what a wonderful treat!! I highly recommend this resort and I must say that this is one of the finest resorts on the beach. Thanks for making us the host looking good in front of our family members.

Room Tip: Very fine guest rooms and villas.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 2012phull
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Resort is showing themselfs as a five star resort online and per phone/email. But in real life I have seen, tasted and smelled a very different and this to the worse. The two restaurants does not exist, (just one with bad food that made three of my friends ill), they did not serve wine, beer or anything with the food as promised, it was a buffet that reminded my about a bad school cantina. Else the service was non existing, the whole area smelled sewage and the atmosphere was not joyful. We payed a five star prize to live there andcomplained, we moved further on to a much nicer hotel after one day and we did not get our money back. We booked for 8 days and stayed for one terrible day of experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Frank K
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I wanted to eat at this restaurant which is not really opened fully but the staff generously opened the restaurant for us which over looks the beach and we
had a delicious meal with very attentive staff and the food was brought from their other restaurant. Good value for money and not expensive.

5  Thank atodmccarthy
Blue Waters Cherai
#3 of 7 in Cherai Beach
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
#7 of 211 in Kochi (Cochin)
Sealine Beach Resort
Sealine Beach Resort
#6 of 7 in Cherai Beach
Ramada Resort Cochin
Ramada Resort Cochin
#1 of 1 in Kumbalam
The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam

Been to Club Mahindra Cherai Beach? Share your experiences!