“Relaxing”

Cherai Beach Residency
Ranked #1 of 24 Cherai Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 3, 2013

First, I would like to say that the staff are incredibly friendly and caring bunch and that the place is spotlessly clean. It is also further down the beach away from the busy area which is nice. It is a very peacful place with very good food. My daughter got really sick a few hours after getting there (obviously not something picked up at Cherai beach) and they were so incredibly wonderful arranging transportation and taking us to a hospital. The young man that works there stayed with us the entire time and helped me with the doctor and prescriptions. Now the only reason I didn't give it a 5 was because of some issues I had which might have just been cultural differences. We like to sleep in late and we would get calls at 8am saying breakfast was ready. I suggested that they ask people the night before if they want breakfast or to give a window. I do NOT want a wake up call if I didn't request it. We were also tired of Indian food as this had been our third week ther and had found a place near by that offered pancakes, burgers, french fries, etc and we ate there a few times. The owner kept asking us if we didn't like her food. That wasn't it, her food was food but we wanted variety. I felt like I was staying at my overly concerned grandmother's house. I don't want to have to explain why I am lazy and don't want breakfast or why I don't want to eat at the same restaurant over and over. Also, we were very diligent about only having bottled water but kept getting served water from a pitcher which we didn't drink. I don't know if they realized that Americans are told not to drink the water in India. I would definitely stay here again. The owner just retired from teaching and is fairly new at running the hotel so there are a few kinks to work out which I have no doubt they will do. It was nice that my teenagers could go across the street and hang out in the beach chairs under the umbrellas and I could just sit on the balcony and watch if I didn't want to get on the beach. Defintiely get the rooms with the balcony.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for five with my partner in March 2013. We loved this place.

Pros:
- Service. Poly, Jessy, Martin and the staff make you feel very relaxed and comfortable. They have the art of providing excellent service without being intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble and they are always looking out for little extra ways to help you. They can arrange tourist things if you want as well as transport and recommend restaurants.
- Food. Martin is a wonderful chef. We love genuine Indian food and Martin's beautiful Kerala cooking was a highlight. Beautifully cooked with love and everything fresh and delicious.
- Location. Cherai Beach is a very quiet tourist spot. So if you're looking for lots of things designed to entertain western tourists, this is probably not the place. There are a few restaurants in Cherai Beach, a couple of juice places, a scattering of other shops and various places to stay. Cherai Beach Residency is a few hundred metres away from the main part. It's quiet and surrounded by daily Indian life going on in a gentle and relaxed way. It's directly opposite the beach and we could leave our upstairs room and be on the beach in less than a minute. We checked out a few other places including Cherai Beach Resort, Indriya and a couple of homestays and CBR was our choice.
- Room. It's not large, but there's storage space enough for two and a lovely little balcony to sit on and enjoy tea and the sunset. A/C for when it gets too hot. Ceiling fan. A triple pane window facing the beach gives a lovely view from in the room and can be opened right up to let the cooling ocean breeze in. Flat screen TV but we never watched it. Tea and coffee making in room and a small fridge. Bed was comfortable with minimal partner disturbance. It was a double, not a queen, so if you're a tall guy you're feet are going to be on or over the edge. Bathroom was modern and spotless. Room cleaned to high standard every day. Hot water shower was nice. Everything works and nothing is shabby or broken.
- Beach. Right opposite the hotel. Sun lounges, towels and umbrellas provided. I even say Martin sweeping the beach in the afternoon. Real attention to detail and care taken here. A fresh water shower is downstairs so you can rinse off before going to your room.
- Rooftop. We took breakfast every morning on the rooftop looking out over the ocean. Great spot. Also a good place for yoga morning or late afternoon if that's your thing.
- Wi-fi. Available in the downstairs dining area. Not available in room but it didn't matter to us.

Cons :
- None.
Loved it here. We had a beautiful relaxing quiet time lounging about on the sun lounges on the beach, eating great food, sleeping, swimming, beach walking and generally allowing the laziness to take hold. During the hottest part of the day, we retreated to our room and the coolness of the A/C. Took a walk into 'town' a few times for juices and a bit of looking around. Service was exceptional - attentive and caring without a hint of being intrusive. Totally recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidgold
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Cherai Beach Residency.
The owners, Mr.Jolly and his Wife Chessy are wonderful hosts and run a clean and very efficient place, together with staff Martin the Chef and Leshiu the waiter and all round help.
I experienced some real Kerala food and when I left felt that I said good buy to my new Indian Famely.
My stay was for 5 Days and every Day was a joy.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

The Cherai Beach Residency is perfectly situated at the far end of the busy strip of Cherai Beach, providing all the benefits of a private beach within walking distance of the crowds.

The rooms were immaculate and cleaned daily from top to bottom and the balcony views over the beach perfect for sitting back and watching the sunset.

Poly, Jessy and all the staff were fantastic and catered to our every need, providing great value, lovely food and amazing freshly made fruit juices. They were always there, yet never in a intrusive way and were more the happy to let use cater for ourselves and arrange transport around the local area.

A really down to earth, homely experience, with the all the qualities and service of a top hotel. Made to feel part of the family and the only downside was saying goodbye.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Cherai Beach Residency. Location, service, food and hospitality were great. And the rabbits! The kids loved to feed them. We stayed at the topfloor and had a nice view over the beach. Very quiet and calm location. If you go there - don´t miss the spectacular view of the sunrise over backwater just about 1 km from the hotel, the opposite direction from the "center" of the beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Had a really pleasant time at Cherai beach residency. The welcome was warm and the food was tasty. Our hosts did a great job helping us rent bikes, organise taxi's and the stay was more or less painless. Only niggles were; beds were very hard & The wifi reception upstars was very poor (issue probably addressed by now). Recommended for value for money in the area too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here for only one night after flying in to Cochin. We were looking for a quiet place to catch our breath before starting our family journey through Kerela.
The hotel was perfect for just that. Situated at the quiet end of the beach with a lovely sea view from our balcony and the roof terrace it was a great place to recover from a long flight.
Jessy owns the hotel and it is run by family members who are friendly and helpful in many ways from cutting us fresh coconuts on the beach to serving a wonderful home cooked meal on the roof.
The rooms are simple and spotlessly clean
We wish Jessy lots of luck with her new hotel !!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family