Marina Hotel at Shelter Bay
$91
$89
HotelQuickly
  • Pool
Radisson Summit Hotel And Golf(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$88
Coconut Grove Lodge(Isla Grande)
$150
$60
All reviewspanama canalsan lorenzofew weeksa great stayhowler monkeysmarinarestaurantboatjunglemenuorderftmanagementtransitcaribbeandestinationwaitress
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'm a US expat working in the Colon for the past 8 years- so I know the area and quite familiar with all the restaurant options. Aside from all fondas, local and hotel restaurants - you start to see a lot of the same thing. When you desire a little taste of home this is the place to come.

Initially the restaurant at Shelter Bay was my local favorite when I wanted USA-like food. However, about 4 years ago they changed providers and the food went downhill. The Ice tea went to the same heavy syrup crap you can find throughout all of Panama. The food was bland, hamburger barely editable... just terrible.

Six months ago, I ventured back and was pleasantly surprised. Shelter bay brought on a chef from Kansas City - and what a difference it's made! The menu has been changed and the food is fantastic, with REAL Ice Tea and Heinz Ketchup for the burgers!

I highly recommend this restaurant when you want a change from the regular local establishments. Nice stop on the way to San Lorenzo and a great place to have lunch or dinner, overlooking the marina!

When you want a break

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ElchupaCabra507
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had to have our boat hauled out and stayed at the hotel while on the hard. First off, they let me bring my dog. And she's not a small "regulation for hotels" dog, although very well behaved. Pleasantly surprised to find the most comfortable bed I've slept in on land in years. The room was clean, quiet and comfy. The staff was very nice and accommodating. They made us feel right at home. The upstairs lounge has wonderful sofas and a large screen TV, deck overlooking the marina and several tables for reading, socializing, working, etc. The restaurant served great food all day long. The breakfast was inexpensive and delicious and the dinners were large enough for us to share. I would absolutely stay here again and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jules M
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Let me start by saying we did not stay at the hotel, it was just a day trip. It turned out to be the best food we had had in Panama. The service was great! The food Amazing! If you ever are in the area, IT is a Must place to go!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at Shelter Bay Marina for 2.5 weeks and had a great experience the entire time. The staff are warm, friendly, and incredibly helpful. My room was comfortable, clean, and very modern. I ate at the restaurant nearly every night and never got tired of the food. The menu is large and contains a mix of foods, all of which were tasty and attractively plated. Shelter Bay is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank benf729
Reviewed September 11, 2012

For three years, I've been coming to the Shelter Bay Hotel and eating at The Dock Restaurant. Together with the Marina, this has become the base of operations for my research projects in the surrounding area. We've had stays of five days, two weeks, and two months, so I know the management and the staff quite well. Chris does an excellent job both in the kitchen and making sure the accommodations are much better than average. He was also gracious enough to prepare a few special meals throughout our stays and cater to special occasions. My family accompanied me for the two month trip and loved the hotel, pool, and the general area. I would recommend this hotel over any other in the area, not to mention the phenomenal access to the ruins of the 18th century Spanish Castillo de San Lorenzo. If you're on the Atlantic side of Panama, stay here!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business