“Very entertaining”

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Very entertaining”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Quite alright... understand the storyline and the costumes are spectacular. The theater is not too long that can bore you to death.

Visited February 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Good taste of local culture”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Less than an hour show of the local belief/ culture. The show is about good vs evil. You can experience the language, traditional clothing, art, music, dance, belief, culture and legend all at one time under one roof. The seats are spacious and the place is very breezy, not hot at all. You can take photos with the performers and musicians with their costumes after the show ends.

Visited January 2014
Tallinn, Estonia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Sari Wisata Budaya (Barong & Kris Dance)”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Here's my opinion about that ridiculous charade!

It was 2 hours of pure torture! The music was so loud and annoying, it was more like a freak show I found nothing cultural or educational about it, not even amusing! No wonder most of the people left after 15 min and I can't blame them, in fact I was envying them as I wished to leave but I had to stay till the end because my friends was enjoying the show and it'll be rude of me to leave them !!! by the end of that weird experience you'll cry for your money 80Rp

I don't know why everyone recommend it? it's over rated...or maybe it's just me

Visited March 2013
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A bit slow, need early start for 9:30 start - not "wow", just "OK"”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Needed 8:30 pickup from Legian to make this 9:30 start.. traffic. Our driver was fantastic (pak Oka, 085238500148, highly recommend) and we scraped in. IDR 100,000 pp. Got photo w female dancer then sat down. Needn't have worried.. gamelan instrumental up first (think plinkplink music) then barong came and posed for a good while (I gather this was act 1.. all accompanied by gamelan). Monkey comes out - woo, something happens! The story is interesting and they provide English transcript so you know the story but I only really enjoyed the grace and skill of the female dancers and the rest I felt went at an unnecessarily slow pace. Then we came to the adult themes.. I watched the byplay w the monkeys tail hoping I wasn't going to have yo explain erections to the kids (3-8yrs) and then came the bit where a bunch of guys stab themselves violently w Kris knives. Oh. Goody. Let's hope the 3yo boy doesn't pick that up. We got the chance to take photo w the barong costume w was nice.

Visited January 2014
Romsey, Victoria
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Traditional BaIinese Dancing”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My daughter and I visited the Barong and Kris Dance Show in November 2013.

The entry fee is 100,000 Rupiah (Approx. $10 Aus) per person. Before entering the open aired theatre (auditorium), you are offered the opportunity to have your picture taken with one of the stunningly dressed female dancers. These are taken on your camera by one of the staff and a professional photos are also taken. The show starts with two of the female performers dancing in traditional Balinese style. This was what we expected and glad to see. Once that was finished the rest of the show then concentrated on the Barong Kris dance which consisted of 5 acts. The Barong (mythical animal - good spirit) is similar to a Chinese dragon and the costume was also stunning. Overall the show went for about an hour and towards the end I felt it dragged on a little. It's unfortunate that the characters involved spoke in Indonesian but you are given a handout before the show explaining the different scenes and their meaning.

Once the show is finished, like most tourist attractions in Bali, you are offered to buy the professional photo taken of you earlier and you could even buy a plate with your photo imprinted in the middle. The plate cost 80,000 Rp but it's not a compulsory buy.

Overall I thought the performance was ok but I'm glad I went as we ran out of time to see any other Balinese type traditional dancing whilst in Bali.

Cheers,

Paul

Visited November 2013

Been to Barong & Kris Dance? Share your experiences!