“Glad we tried it but we won't be going back”
Review of Quatrefoil

Quatrefoil
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Dundas
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: King Street
Description: Chefs Fraser Macfarlane and Georgina Mitropoulos opened Quatrefoil Restaurant in May, 2010. Since then, the restaurant has been named among the top 10 best new Canadian restaurants of 2010 by enRoute Magazine, and among the top 10 best new restaurants of 2011 in Toronto by Toronto Life magazine. Quatrefoil Restaurant is also featured as a prime dining destination in the 2011 edition of Where to Eat in Canada. Located in the quaint community of Dundas, Ontario, the restaurant offers contemporary French cuisine in a charming heritage home turned modern eatery. Macfarlane and Mitropoulos, a husband-and-wife team, met in the kitchen of Toronto's Scaramouche Restaurant, before heading to Europe to seek out new food styles and experiences. Together, the pair has cooked in some of the best Michelin-starred restaurants in Europe, training under notable chefs such as Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsay and Gary Hollihead.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Glad we tried it but we won't be going back”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

When we made our reservation online for a special occasion dinner, we included a request for a nice chocolate dessert if possible.

When we arrived for dinner, the hostess acknowledged our special occasion. The service was great -- friendly and professional.

The bread arrived shortly after, including a really nice selection. The dark dense bread was the best, but all the breads were good. For appetizers, we had the Boston Bib Lettuce & La Tomme Goat Cheese Salad and the butternut squash soup. The soup was really amazing (I cleaned the bowl), although it was expensive. The bib salad was disappointing and much too expensive. The lettuce leaves were whole (too large), the dressing was underneath the greens, and the miniscule shavings of goat cheese were few and far between. I would not order the bib salad again, and I cringed when I heard my neighbor order the salad. So be warned about the salad!

For the mains, we had the Cumbrae's Beef Tenderloin and Willowgrove Hill Boneless Pork Chops. The beef tenderloin was well prepared and included a stupendous sauce and delicious veggies. However, the pool of potato puree on one half of the plate was reminiscent of baby food. The pork was well done with a sweet glaze and tasty sides, but not amazing.

The dessert was the biggest disappointment. We were handed the usual dessert menu, whereas we had hoped for some type of special chocolate dessert. We selected the Chestnut Mousse, but a huge dinner plate arrived with a message in chocolate all around the edges. The plate only a tiny half-dome of hard chocolate, numerous miniature melon balls of frozen pear, and a small dollop of pear sorbet. The hard chocolate crust of the dome was difficult to crack, and the chestnut mousse inside was unremarkable. But I had a couple of good decaf cappucinnos that were smooth and creamy. I'd advise skipping the dessert.

Overall, the dinner at Quartrefoil was a mixed experience. The soup, bread, beef tenderloin, and most of the veggie sides with sauce were excellent, but other items were not so great. It was just not worth the price we paid, and we will not be going back.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank TwoFrequentTravelers

Hamilton ON
“Oh what a night!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

A cold and frosty night finds my wife and I joining a new business colleague and his girlfriend for an enjoyable and cozy evening in the heart of small town Dundas, Ontario. We meet at the delightful restaurant called Quatrefoil on Sydenham street "downtown" just off the Niagara Escarpment. My wife and I have eaten at this establishment many times but it was a first for the other couple and it did not disappoint any of us.
As soon as you enter the warm converted vintage home there is an immediate feeling of welcome and appreciation for joining the owner wife, Georgina, husband chef, Fraser and sister Elaine as well as the regular staff of wait staff that has remained consistent for years, which says a lot for the owners!

A comfortable corner white leather upholstered booth in the busy restaurant becomes our home for the next few hours of un rushed gourmet delights starting with local breads and warm house-made twisted sesame sticks. An affordable and extensive wine selection is professionally poured for us while an amuse-bouche arrives promptly to the table after we order as a "gift from the chef." Never the same in the dozen times I have eaten there. All prepared with care, beautifully presented and respectful of one of our vegetarian guests as well.

A key feature of the restaurant is the extensive use of fresh local ingredients from local farmers, bakeries, butchers and cheese shops.

Without describing each meal ordered individually I must say the "soup prepared daily" is ALWAYS exciting and flavorful. Tonight it was a large bowl of butternut squash soup with a vanilla brown butter foam and candied walnuts. My wife slowly enjoys every spoonful. So that we can sample different dishes I order the braised rabbit tagliatelle blended with green olive, Parmesan, orange and parley gremolata and roasted tomato sauce. I close my eyes and think I am in Italy!

My significant other's main course is the Arctic char (obviously not local!) with cauliflower risotto, chard, Jerusalem artichoke, caper and raisin purée with a red wine vinaigrette. I indulge in the more traditional Elora Heritage chicken accompanied by baby turnip, squash, beluga lentils with kale jus gras. I decline the shaved foie gras that normally is partnered with this dish. Not my style.
The vegetarian guest is treated to grilled tofu with beluga lentils with a beet vinaigrette accompanied by squash puree, roasted turnips and sautéed kale, instead of the typical vegetarian pasta he has become accustomed to at other restaurants in the area.

Desert is next (there is always room). We share a strip of goat cheese cake joined on the same plate as warm apple strudle and butterscoch ice cream. WOW! Congrats to the pastry chef Brooke Cowitz--- superb..

The local cheese plate garnished with nut brittle, fresh sliced grapes and toasted whole whet and nut bread crisps.

Now that should enough...but no.....a small sampling again from the pastry chef Brooke, surprises us as we settle the reasonable bill. We barely have enough room for the bite sized homemade dark chocolate brownies and lemon macarons.

We sluggishly and reluctantly stroll out in the cold of the night again after a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable evening but not before a warm good bye from Georgina and Elaine. Just enough friendly warmth of Dundas to get us to our car planning our next visit to Quatrefoil.

• Visited January 2013
Birmingham
“Our local restaurant”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Went for lunch just before christmas on one of their 3 courses for a very reasonable amount of money (~$33) deals. Excellent value for skillfully prepared and thoughtful food.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank MartinS_Bham
Hamilton ON
“Oh, what a GREAT night!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We sluggishly and reluctantly stroll out in the cold of the night again after a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable evening but not before a warm good bye from Georgina and Elaine. Just enough friendly warmth of Dundas to get us to our car planning our next visit to quatrefoil.

Hamilton, Canada
“Fine Dining In The Valley Town”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

On Friday, January 25, my wife and I visited Quatrefoil for dinner. Upon arriving, we were politely informed that there was a delay on our table. Taking a little longer than might be expected, the hostess very kindly offered us complimentary drinks from the bar, which we took at a small table in front of the gas fireplace in the foyer. The restaurant has a limited but nicely varied and balanced menu, which to us is a positive sign. They also feature a fixe prix three course package for $50 per person during week nights, of which we availed ourselves. In addition, you can bring your own bottle of wine, subject to a $30 corkage fee, of which we also took advantage, which made a great deal of sense on a Bordeaux Grand Cru wine.

The food was excellent and beautifully presented. The wait staff were knowledgeable, attentive, but not obtrusive. While the restaurant was packed and had a private party in progress in the upstairs area, service was prompt. The fully occupied room's tables are set up in a fashion that provides sufficient privacy and the acoustics in the room dampened the enthusiastic chatter from other tables.

Quatrefoil is a first class establishment in all respects and a welcome addition to the Hamilton area dining scene. I have visited twice for dinner with my wife and she has been once for a luncheon, all of which were exceptional.

The prices are what one would expect for such a fine establishment and the value received justifies such pricing.

• Visited January 2013