“Christmas & Twixmas Break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kewstoke
Sand Bay Leisure Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kewstoke
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have just returned from a superb holiday at Sand Bay with my daughter. The chalet was warm, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The food was excellent and they provided gluten free alternatives for my daughter at every meal which was a big bonus for us. The entertainment was very good, my daughter Jenny has learning difficulties but she loved the line dancing and the shows. Well done to the entertainment staff, they did 5 shows during the week and each one was superb. I don't think I have enjoyed a holiday more and we have already booked in for next year.Thanks to everyone at Sand Bay for making us feel so welcome and like part of the family

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank carol_brown207

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have stayed at this holiday resort a couple of times recently, on 4 night breaks,the check in was yvery quick and very efficient despite the long queues eveyone was dealt with a welcome smile When we reached our chalet accomodation on our last visit there had been some heavy rain and there were sandbags around the chalet and a large puddle in front of the door with ducks on!!!But or chalet was lovely and warm inside.The decor and furnitue are getting a bit tired now and could do with a spruce up,our chest of drawers colapsed when we opened it as some of the runners where missing and the carpet had seen better days.Despite all this we had a nice break,the food was reasonablely good,lovely porridge,and the waiting staff in the dining room very cheerful and coudnt do enough for people who werent so mobile.Entertainment was great we always managed to get a seat. We shall be going back sometime next year,for what we paid it was a bargain short beak,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Olderroamer
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been here many times.I must say I always enjoy myself.The chalets are quite basic but you dont spend all day in your room.Entertainment os excellent and the entertainment staff work very hard for your enjoyment.he food is very hit and miss breakfast is very good but dinner sometimes not up to standard.Dinner is rushed mainly due to people rushing out to get seats for the evening entertainment,Some even foregoing dinner or others have dinner on a relay basis which I find gross.The bar is reasonably priced.The breaks are very cheap so you get what you pay for.I will certainly go back I know what to expect.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank boxerteeth
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have stayed at Sand Bay about eight or nine times over the last four or five years and always been pleased with our holidays. Not this time! We booked this break because of the promise of ballroom and Latin dancing and the dance workshops. On the first evening, we were horrified to find that the dance floor was absolutely full and all we could do was shuffle around the floor. That, of course, was when the band played for ballroom and Latin dances. I estimate that approximately two thirds of the dances were sequence dances or line dances. Not what we signed up for! On a couple of occasions the orchestra leader split the sequence dancers into two groups and played music twice for the same dance. It was not the sequence dancers who needed to be split into two groups! Sequence dancers are travelling in the same direction, at the same speed, doing exactly the same steps at the same time. They, therefore, do not need a lot of space. On the other hand, ballroom and Latin dancers need the space to dance their individual steps and figures, which are often in different directions and at different speeds. I lost count of the number of times my feet were trodden on by other dancers. I had bruises on my back from where other dancers had elbowed me and a nasty wound on the back of my lower leg where someone caught me with the heel of their shoe because there was no room to move.

On the second day, we had what was supposed to be a one-and-a-half-hour ballroom workshop in the morning. There were so many people there that the dance instructor split the group into two halves but there was still very little room to move. This meant that we only had three-quarters of an hour instruction. In the one-hour Latin workshop in the afternoon, the group was split into three, which meant we only had twenty minutes instruction.

All the afternoon tea dances and the evening dances had the same problems - too many people and not enough ballroom and Latin dances. From about 10.30 pm, the orchestra played pop music.

My husband and I feel we did not get what the paid for. The point of going on this holiday was to enjoy some ballroom and Latin dancing. There were no sambas, no Viennese waltzes and no paso dobles. We had one tango during the entire three-night break and that was only because somebody had requested it. We had a minmal number of rumbas, cha chas and jives. All in all, the dancing aspect of the holiday was extremely disappointing. My husband and I could see that there were some extremely good dancers at Sand Bay but nobody had the opportunity to dance properly. Everyone we spoke to had the same complaints about this dance break.

The accommodation is very basic but we have always found it adequate.

The food is quite reasonable, but most people we spoke to were disappointed that Sand Bay have stopped the buffet breakfasts and everyone has to have waitress service. Although three out of the four days the service was acceptable, this did slow down breakfast and some people missed the start of the 10.00 am line dance session.

For those who have not been to Sand Bay before, breakfast FOR EVERYBODY is served at 09.00 am (too late in our opinion) and dinner FOR EVERYBODY is served at 6.00 pm. For most meals, the service was good.

On our previous breaks at Sand Bay (eg Magic of the Musicals) we have enjoyed dancing in the evening. Because not everybody danced, there was usually plenty of room on the dance floor and we were able to stride out in the ballroom.

The leisure facilities are adequate - swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna but the building in which they are housed is a bit dull. We were pleased to find that the temperature of the swimming pool was back up to 32 degrees. On the previous two occasions we have stayed there, we have found the water quite cold.

I think on a full-board break, when one does not need to leave the holiday resort, the location does not matter. However, it's not a good location if you want to walk, for example, after the evening meal. You can't walk far in either direction before you lose the concrete path.

It occurred to me after I returned home and checked the paperwork that this was advertised as a Turkey and Tinsel break as well as dancing. We did not get our customary visit from Santa!

Our experience with this most recent holiday has not put us off Sand Bay but it has definitely put us off "Strictly" Dancing at Sand Bay. Because of the huge numbers of like-minded people, all wanting to dance, this type of holiday just does not work. In future, we shall be returning to Torquay for our dance breaks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BallLatSue
Reviewed November 8, 2012

First visit but not the last. We had heard so many negative reports about the resort we went to see for ourselves and we were not disappointed. The chalets could definitely do with an upgrade but were adequate. Clean bed and towels, hot water, room hot. Meals first class plenty of it and good choice each day. Entertainment was as good as the Palladium any day. The staff all round were excellent - nothing too much trouble. I would highly recommend to the over 50s. Looking forward to taking my dance group of over 50s during the summer instead of going to Tower Ballroom at Blackpool. See it for yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for bath or shower when booking - whichever you prefer
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David L
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have just visited sand bay for the second time. Christmas came early we had christmas eve carol singing, christmas day dinner with all the trimmings, boxing day & new years eve all in 5 days.If anyone likes dancing it is brilliant there is line dancing, ballroom, sequence, & modern disco. Food is great We went on the 29th Sept and came home on the 2nd Nov. Please just go and try it yourself you wont be dissapointed.Most of the chalets have been upgraded but they are comfortable.The shows are great if you happen to book when there is one on. Just send for a brochure.

Room Tip: ask to be upgraded when you book
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hprcynth
Reviewed October 24, 2012

this was our first expierience of a music weekend at Sand Bay, Yes the Chalets were basic but what more do you need, Maybe the bathroom need Showers, (they may be on the way for all I know) the food was great, the service was second to none our only problem was that we left on the monday.... we will be back

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RayP070958
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kewstoke
3 mi away
2 mi away
The Sandringham Hotel
The Sandringham Hotel
#18 of 28 in Weston super Mare

Been to Sand Bay Leisure Resort? Share your experiences!