“Blast from the past” 4 of 5 bubbles

Calypso Cafe
Ranked #31 of 110 Restaurants in Rincon
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Mixed American/Puerto Rican grilled seafood steak chicken. Hamburgers nachos gyros burritos salads sandwiches
chicago
“Blast from the past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is truly like no other bar/restaurant I have ever been in. All old guys sitting at the bar were old hippies from the 60's who came here and never left. All the music that they played while we were there, was from the sixties. I am not of that generation, but since I like the music, I really liked the place. The bar tender whose name I forget, told us he moved there sixteen years ago for the surfing and somehow never left. The food was very good and you can eat while looking out over the Caribbean from their patio. The Calypso cafe is a bit out of the way, we came upon it while we were looking for the Punta Higuero light house, which as it turned out is just down the road. This is a very cool bar that we will be back to.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Luquillo, PR
“Just for the location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Its one of those places that has location, location, location. The food was nothing to brag about. I don't plan to go back to eat. I wasn't particularly happy when they told me they had well water and you had to buy a bottle (maybe the tourists will buy that).

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Puertoricosigns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Try......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Everything! :)

I am telling you, I had the BEST Chicken Quesadilla there. There wasn't anything special or fancy about it...but somehow it was extraordinary. I made my dad try it and he, too, was impressed.

I was feeling in the mood for some true island vacation flavor--and went straight for the pina colada. Also may have been the best pina colada I had the whole trip...if not ever. I'm not sure what about it was so good, once again--but I wish I was back for one more right now!

Visited June 2013
Vermont
“One of Our "Go-To" Favorites in Rincon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visit Rincon several time a year, and we always go to Calypso several times for lunch, light dinner, and to watch the sunset with some rum punch. In the winter, when the waves are bigger, we love to watch the surfers ride the waves as we eat and drink. It's a great mix of easy, simple, locally caught fish and Puerto Rican sides, with the option of burgers and fries. Open air, casual, friendly. We love Calypso.

Visited June 2013
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Wonderful establishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Not sure how long the Calypso Café has been there, but it is certainly an institution, well-run with good food. Located next to the most famous surfing area in the Caribbean, it is where everyone goes. Great music many nights will keep you entertained and dancing into the wee hours.

Visited May 2013