“Try next door”

La Copa Llena at The Black Eagle
Ranked #7 of 115 Restaurants in Rincon
Cuisines: Asian, French, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The management team of Casa Islena Restaurant (also known as The Tapas Bar) has proudly taken over the the historic Black Eagle Restaurant, rechristening it "La Copa Llena". Located right on the ocean, specifically the south side of the Tres Palmas Marine Preserve, people have been enjoying the sunsets from the Black Eagle deck since the 1970's. The combination of Chef Brendan Basham's cuisine, Casa Islena's charm, and the view of the waves, whales, and sunsets, provides a singular Rincon dining experience. With the adoption of a larger space, Brendan has been able to expand the menu and experiment more while maintaining the strict standards of quality that the local community and returning tourists have come to expect for the last 6 years. We have included some of our old favorites such as the char-grilled octopus with heirloom beans and papaya salad, and introduced some incredible new dishes like poke (yellowfin tuna, avocado, and seaweed), coconut steamed mussels with homemade chorizo and fresh herbs, and a 20 oz. T-bone steak with flageolet-corn succotash and a yukon-parsnip mash. As always, the menu tends to change upon the availability of ingredients, keeping the chef creative and our guests surprised. Brunch is served Sundays from 10am-2pm with diverse offerings such as brown butter crepes and southwest style chilaquiles (eggs scrambled with fried corn tortillas and green chile-tomatillo salsa). Happy hour everyday from 3pm until 7pm includes $2 Medallas, $3 well drinks, and $4 house wine. And we're excited to continue the legacy of the ever entertaining Wednesday night Bingo starting around 9pm. Sunset live music Sundays from 4pm-7pm.Buen Provecho!
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The menu is very restricted with only four options for main course when we visited. Despite this the quality was variable with the lamb and snapper being good, the pork chop undercooked and the tuna not edible. We asked for rice with the lamb but were told no substitutions could be made. Initially our waiter told us that they did not have rice (which contradicted the menu), then that the 'proportionality of the rice and meat needed to be maintained' (which was lost on me) and then that the restaurant was unusually busy (although at the time half the tables were unoccupied). This situation could have been better handled with a better trained waiter. I ordered the snapper and swapped the rice that accompanied this with my son's lamb. The waiter was very helpful as he reconfigured each of the plates but one could not help wondering whether it all should have been done in the kitchen rather than in front of all the other diners. Go next door to the Shipwreck grill where the food is just as good and whole process a lot less hassle.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were reluctant to dine here until we found out this was under new management and a totally different restaurant than our last year's visit. What a nice change! The food was great, especially the calamari. The waiters and waitresses were very friendly. I can't imagine a better view while dining and watching a Rincon sunset. The lounge is fun at night, especially Bingo night. The locals are warm and friendly people.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

If you want a romantic sunset dinner on the ocean, or a just a bite to eat with your family, this is the place!

It is right ON THE BEACH and the deck has a fabulous view of the ocean and surfers if they are out. We just missed the sunset, but it was still beautiful.

The service is top notch, friendly and happy to be working at such a nice place. The waiting area has comfortable sofas, so even if there is a slight wait, you won't mind it. They set up a high chair for my daughter without our even asking.

The bathroom has this wonderful smelling soap in it, and after a horseback ride on the beach I was glad to be able to wash my hands with it before eating.

We had the zucchini fritters and WOW, this is NOT just fried zucchini sticks, they're fantastic. I had the pork stew -- it had hominy in it and a fried egg. I was very happy - they have 2 sizes small and large. I had the small and it was filling, but if you're hungry or sharing goo for the large. My husband had the mussels in a coconut broth that was tasty and filling as well. It comes with rice. He was in heaven. I am not a fan of mussels so I didn't taste them, but I did taste the rice and it was delicious. Oh and the dessert was wonderful too, we had a flourless chocolate tart served with a hearty helping of whipped cream...I could have eaten it forever.

The pricing was spot on and reasonable for such fine cuisine. GO GO GO You will be glad you did.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

A bad experience because a Male Waiter thinks he runs the place and what a shame that is.
This place has a lot going for it but due to this one person I and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people won' t be going back. Walked into the bar ordered a beer and wine, nice view good bartender sat down they said sit wherever sat in a seat the band came on a little loud but they were pretty good also, just the wrong seat we moved and this Male waiter came up and saw we had a drink and to him that was unacceptable . He wanted the whole bill we said we would be ordering food and would transfer to him he said no it was his table and he wasn't going to let us sit there. Not good. We went back to bar area and saw him do the same to 2 more couples who re not at that table within 5 minutes of sitting. The hostess didn't know what his problem was but we finished our drink and a app. We were gone Good bye Mr Puffy chest. I don't like giving bad reviews but sometimes they Are called for especially the way he was short with my wife. It is a shame for the rest of the staff were very nice

2  Thank Tom D
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Black Eagle has been a good restaurant for more than a decade -- it was highly rated by Frommer's 15 years ago. In the interim, it's been through a variety of managements, but the latest is surely the best I've seen. The menu selections can fit a range of tastes with an especially pleasing set of small plates that allow sampling by a group of diners. The salads are large enough to share, and everything we ordered was of excellent quality (in both ingredients and preparation). My nomination for a don't;miss item is their octopus dish -- it is uniquely seasoned and comes accompanied with surprising vegetable ingredients. A gem of Rincon and worth traveling to get there. .

1  Thank PCmonkey