“Okay, not great”

Ranked #12 of 19 Rincon B&B and Inns
Washington D.C.
“Okay, not great”
Reviewed February 18, 2007

OK if you're looking for a place to stay near the beach. The rooms are pretty basic - bed, TV and bathroom. Nothing charming. There is a restaurant attached to the place. We had dinner there one night - it was OK, not great. We did see a whale frolicking in the ocean in front of us though. That was worth it!

Bands play here some nights of the week, so it can get noisy. Young surfing crowd, so if that's your scene, you might enjoy it more.

• Stayed January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank fruitflyboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed November 29, 2006

It never ceases to amaze me how people can stay in the same hotels and have such different perceptions of the place. Tamboo Beside the Point Inn is such a place. I suspect much of it comes from the fact that the others here might not have experience with Puerto Rico hotel prices and therefore don't know that a $75-$100 beachfront hotel here is budget accomodations. Anything under $100 is hard to find and would compare to a $30-$45 room in the Yucatan for example. So I suspect that many people who book a room for $100-$150 at Tamboo Beside the point are expecting 4 or even 5 star accomodations since that is what they would get for that price in many other caribbean/mexican locations, but those who know Rincon and PR know it is not the same here. All that being said, this is suppossed to be a review, so let me do that. I stayed in late Sept. of 2006 and got my room for $75. First, I was given a coupon for 2 free welcome drinks at the Tamboo bar- a nice touch and not something I ecpected from a budget hotel. The nice front desk lady who booked me in was extremely helpful, cheerful, polite, etc. The owner of the hotel happened to be nearby and the front desk lady voluntarily introduced me to the owner and he was also very polite and said if I needed anything at all to let him know. My room was probably the worst location in the building since it was in the very back right beside the kitchen. However, with my door closed I couldn't hear any of the outside activities. The room itself was quite basic, but it was clean and had a good working remote control tv with satellite tv, a refridgerator (another unexpected perk), great working AC. The furnishings were dated and very rudimentry-I could understand some complaints about the thrift-store furniture, but come on...does furniture really ruin a place or a vacation? The decore was caribbean and cheerful, the room was spacious as was the bathroom. The showers do have the on-demand hot water system, but it provided me with all the hotwater I ever needed and certainly you don't have to worry about using up all the water in a tank under this system. Again, those familiar with PR hotels are used to seeing these, but I can see how they could be disturbing to others. For me, the very best part of this small inn is its location. As wonderful as Rincon beaches are, not all of them are great, big wave, sandy beaches. Those directly in front of Beside the Point ARE the best in Rincon and on the entire island of PR. Really. You'll see a lot of surfing directly in front of the hotel, which was fun for me to watch since I've not been around surfing very much. The best place to sit and enjoy the beach, the surfers, etc is in the Tamboo bar/restaurant. Again, I thought it was an outstanding bar. There was a pretty good number of people most of the time, but the atmosphere stayed civil and clean enough that even kids were fine eating there (it is also a sort-of restaurant). ANd while there was a festive atmosphere at night, I had no problems sleeping in my room which was just beside the kitchen, therefore near the bar. Last but not least, whatever the opinion of the inn, the rooms, the bar, the staff, the beach, and the amenities, I suspect even the worst reviewers of this hotel would agree it is located in the best part of Rincon. It's on a barely used little street, the area is remote enough to feel secluded and be slow=paced caribbean-ish feel, but still has another bar or two and at least one small restaurant within walking distance, and those are all unique, neat little places. If you need more info, e-mail me at sunnyspottravel@yahoo.com.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room's furnishings
  • Tips/Secrets — negotiate rate if in off season
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank SunnySpotTravel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Tamboo/Beside the Pointe is, to put it nicely, not worth the money. Staff were at best, dismissive, and at worst, downright rude. Our room contained a coffee maker with some variety of crust in the bottom, and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in about two years (much like the rest of the place). The handle on the sliding glass door to the "terrace" (translation, three foot square deck with one chair and a view of an empty lot full of trash)was only partially attached to the door, the smoke detector in the room kept beeping (apparently from a dead battery - after two requests to have the "staff" correct this, I pulled out the battery and threw it away), not only is there no maid service to speak of, fresh towels are not even provided, even when requested. Windows in the bedroom and bathroom are rusted and non-functional, so they either stay open or closed. Bathroom has a barely functional in-line water heater attached to the shower head that plugs into the wall a foot away (fear of electrocution while bathing was not on my list of holiday diversions) and dribbles a trickle of lukewarm water, at best. Hotel has no outdoor shower to rinse off sand from the beach, which combined with the aforementioned lack of maid service leaves piles of sand all over the room - there is not even a broom provided to corral the mess in a corner. Air conditioner sort of worked, but smelled like a basement that hadn't been opened up in about two years. Bedding appeared to be less than fresh - God only knows when the comforter was actually washed - I'm betting on never from the smell of it. Friday and Saturday night brought the annoyance of a band and DJ, starting around 11pm, loud enough to rattle the windows in the room - not pleasant, and like all of the other surprises, never mentioned by the staff during my pre-reservation inquiries. Food at the bar is somewhere below the quality of a bad chain restaurant, drinks at the bar are overpriced and watered down, the bar was out of limes for two days (how does a bar run out of limes, and why doesn't someone go get more?) wait staff consistently ignored us, requiring me to go get drinks from the bar, then gave me dirty looks for doing so - and the filth deposited around the bar (specifically on the beach) by the drunkards crowding in at night was never picked up - nothing like walking down to the beach past a pile of beer bottles, plastic cups, straws, plates last night's food, and what may or may not have been vomit - even the dogs wouldn't go near it. Hotel charges $5 per day for crummy folding chairs for the beach (again, never mentioned), staff have no interest in assisting guests with finding decent food or activities (inquiries were referred to the Rincon tourist map, conveniently on sale for $1.50, and generally of little use) I couldn't wait to get out of this hole - especially given the exorbitant price for what you get - do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere, Beside the Pointe really has nothing going for it...

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Rincon hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2005

I'm a local who needed to stay cheaply over a weekend at the beach along with my wife, daugther and in-laws, who have three kids, seven people total. If you're the party-animal type, and are willing to spend the time at the bar from early afternoon until 2 AM, dare to brave strong water currents (or happen to be a surfer) at the beach, or are just into gonzo travelling, this will do. You get what you pay for, of course.

The staff is nice, the location is quite nice (although you DO need a car to get around), the place is overpriced given the quality of the facilities, the maid service is erratic, the rooms are quite noisy and have quite a lot of sand that never seems to go away, and the bar has plenty of liquor (food, though, is forgettable). Sort of "Fear and Loathing in Rincón" with a nicer atmosphere... apt for California beach bums or your spring break crowd.

As far as beaches go, there's a little beach cove around the "Pointe" (Punta Higuero, westernmost point in Puerto Rico) where the current is not as brutal and the beach strip is wider; early mornings it is not too crowded. If you're a surfer, this place is fine. If not... there's a nicer hotel down the street with no sand beach, a decent pool, better food but far less personality. Aw, well... bottom line is, I wouldn't recommend this to a foreign traveler as being much more than a pit stop / overnight stay... but it is cheap fun.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 3, 2004

I read a lot of reviews about different places while planning my trip to Puerto Rico over the Christmas 2003 vacation, but somehow I was misled to Beside the Pointe in Rincon. Though nicely situated on the beach, that was just about all I can think of that is positive. And for that matter, the beach was not really a good one for laying on, as there was not a lot of beach area for that. And no, there were no beach chairs offered, so this meant for the most part you needed to go elsewhere to find the beach, defeating the entire purpose I stayed there.Now, if you're a surfer and like the late night parties, this place could be for you. Still, be sure to bring lots of money, as Beside the Pointe cost me even more than the Radisson Ambassador Hotel and Casino in San Jan! But for me in room 3, right next to the band that played live and to say nothing of the trucks and cars that pulled right up next to my open window (the window controls were broken - not that it would have made much in the way of a differnece), it was too much. Our kitchen was nice. It had a fan that didn't work and four lights with only a single bulb that operated. It was 15 watts! So doing the dishes (a requirement to avoid a $20 service fee) was tough, to say the least. We had some nice coffee mugs to sip our wine.The shower facility was odd. With extremely low pressure and what seemed like a 1 gallon hot water heater, we were constantly showering in cold to cool water that barely dribbled out of the shower head.As mentioned above, there was no maid service, and since there was no way to wash off sand after coming from the beach area, there was an abundance of sand in the shower, where the pressure was insufficient to wash down the beach remains.The beds were fine and once the parties ended, we slept nicely. But it was pretty bad, all in all.Don't get me wrong, I'm not a spoiled American requiring luxery from dawn to dusk. Quite the opposite. But for that price, I expect a LITTLE more than nothing, which is about all I got.Skip this one, spend a little more and check out Cofresi or something else.Good luck.

• Stayed December 2003
15 Thank bklogan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Dos Angeles Del Mar Bed and Breakfast
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco

Been to Beside The Pointe Inn? Share your experiences!