“Fabulous”

Horned Dorset Primavera
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I would first recommend anyone who is traveling to San Juan to take the Cape Air flight to Mayaguez. The drive from San Juan to Ricon is terrible (took us 4 hours) and the Cape Air flight would have been worth the extra money. Horned Dorset (“HD”) is very difficult to find, I would suggest using a GPS to get there if you plan to drive. Anything easy to get to is not worth seeing so therefore I found the difficulty of getting to HD a bonus.

I think all the other writers have put in their two cents and I can honestly say I agree it is one of the most beautiful resorts I have visited. I loved the staff, Ramon is not only good looking but very charming and the rest of the staff is extremely kind and helpful.

We had a garden view room which was very nice, private and I loved the dipping pool. If there is one thing I can recommend is that the website does not put into context the beauty of this hotel. The video is very nice, but not easy to understand if you have not visited. I was shocked on how amazing the resort was and thought the hotel was better than what they publish on the internet. Defiantly will be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissKimandMrE

Reviewed August 2, 2010

My husband and I spent two glorious nights at the Horned Dorset Primavera, as an impromptu summer getaway. Yes, the hotel is expensive, but that's just because it offers perfect, luxurious accommodations. Private dipping pool, kitchen, two floors, ocean-front - the works!! I cannot overstate how much I loved my stay at the Horned Dorset.

The staff was friendly and professional, and the bed was exquisite. Honestly, if you're considering the Horned Dorset, don't hesitate. We're native to Puerto RIco, and have stayed a various hotels all over the island. This is by far the best we've ever experienced.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jdjcbc
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We spent a wonderful weekend attending a wedding at the resort. The suites, grounds and the setting were breathtaking. The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. We felt exceptionally pampered the entire time that we were there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2010

How do I even begin to do justice to this little piece of heaven in Puerto Rico. It is one of the most incredible places we have ever found and had the pleasure of staying at! This place is unique, the service and the food is out of this world! The rooms are incredible; upon entering you are overwhelmed with a sense of amazement. They are luxurious and the attention to detail is unbelievable!

We feel so in love with the Horned Dorset Primavera we decided to have our wedding there. Our family and friends continue to say it was the best wedding ever at the most romantic location possible. They all have said they would go back again to stay at this paradise. I know this sounds cliché but the staff there really did make our wedding dream come true; it was even more then we could have ever imagined!

If you are hesitating or have any doubts about staying at the Horned Dorset just stop thinking about it and book your trip; I can assure you will have no regrets. At the end of your trip you feel like you are leaving friends you have visited rather than just another hotel. We truly miss them!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2010

MY HOTEL REVIEW # 179 Horned Dorset

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Great. Right on the beach but 15 mins by car to other restaurants. We were told you could walk along the beach for 90 minutes to another restaurant but this walk is not pleasant. The beach isn’t very attractive an there are tons of rocks with no sand making the journey not so fun. We turned around after about 7 minutes of walking.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Ocean Front Residence

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed is very soft (perhaps a bit too soft for me). The linens are outstanding and the pillows are down and very comfortable.

LIGHTING: Tons of lighting in the room. The difficulty is trying to figure out which switch goes to the light you want to light/turn off.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: The shower is gorgeous. All marble and huge. 3 showerheads and 3 additional jets made for a very fun shower experience. Water pressure can be very hard. Would have been my best shower ever if the water could have been more hot. Definitely enjoyable still but the hot water issue still exists to some extent. Bathtub is huge and great for 2 people. Water in tub was able to get very hot.

TOILETRIES: Seem to be of high quality but not a brand I am familiar with. Cotton swabs are not individually wrapped so you may want to bring some clean ones from home.

CLEANLINESS:
ROOM: is very clean but the wood walls were very sticky from the salt water and needed to be clean. The windows were way past their cleaning time as well as it reminded me of a window you would see on a very old boat in salt water that’s been neglected.
COMMON AREA: Filthy. I have never stayed in a nice resort that everywhere you looked was in need of major cleaning. The hotel appeared to have been shut down for 10 years and just reopened the day we arrived. Every outdoor light had many dead bugs in them. All walking paths need mopping or steam cleaning. Beach had tiny bit of trash that clearly had been there for a while. Loungers by the beach and on our private pool area were dirty and nearly all chair cushions outside of our room had stains. Linens used for the outside tables were dirty and the (at one time nice quality) napkins were stained. If you actually looked at areas for uncleanliness, you would find it absolutely everywhere outside of the rooms. This was not dirt from a few days of no cleaning, it is clear that this place hadn’t been cleaned in a long time. I’m so glad the rooms were cleaned well or we would have left a day earlier (this discussion did happen regardless) of our 2 night stay. Our last day we noticed that the garden view room area was much more impressive (as I believe it is newer) and much cleaner.

A/C: Worked well both upstairs and downstairs.

CLOSET SPACE: Closet has no doors and would not be enough for two people to unpack. The iron and ironing board can be seen from the bed.

STYLE OF ROOM: Excellent. Moorish design, 2 levels, beautiful iron spiral staircase. Loved it. Did think there is a bit too much furniture and chotchkies. There are 12 lamps just upstairs. In the kitchen part of the room, the cleaning supplies were in plain view (mop, broom, bucket, etc).

COMMON AREA: I’ve already discussed how filthy this place is. In addition, the place could use some painting as there is very noticeable rust on our balcony pillars. The pathways are lined with lights but one of perhaps every 5 lights are out and many have the wrong type of bulb so they look awkward. The umbrellas in the breakfast area are very dirty and the chairs and tables are in a gravel area which has no aesthetic appeal.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Our room was very quiet and we could block all morning light with the shutters.

FOOD: Breakfast was very good so we had high hopes for dinner. The appetizers were $15 and entrees were $30-$45. The restaurant is definitely stuffy for a beach hotel but if the food was good, we wouldn’t care about this. The food disappointed. The soup was equivalent to boxed soup we buy at the store. The lobster had the wrong consistency and little flavor, the crab cakes were mediocre. However the scallops appetizer was outstanding. These were all appetizers and we decided to leave the restaurant to eat elsewhere as we left hungry. At these prices, we would have accepted good, but just ok isn’t good enough.

TV/INTERNET: Didn’t use the TV that is only available in the residences (not suites). Internet is at no charge and of average speed (upload speed may be the slowest I have experienced outside of Burma).

SERVICE: Everyone here is very nice. Typically we would have to try to locate someone to get service and there is nothing that was truly done that was extraordinary. We would see lots of staff in areas not accessible to guests and I always wondered why they weren’t cleaning the common areas as opposed to engaging in conversations among themselves.

SUMMARY: Not worth the price. We were very kindly upgraded to a residence ocean front room from our resident garden view room. This made the difference and is the only reason why we didn’t check out early. The room is amazing. The beach is not attractive with water that was the same color as back in California (although the sun was never really out). At these prices, there are so many other places that will have equivalent rooms with clean common areas and a nice beach. I would recommend this place only if they cleaned and reduced prices substantially. Anyone used to the finest of hotels & service will be disappointed but those that travel less may leave here being impressed (reason for the mixed reviews). I don’t recommend this hotel and I would skip Rincon altogether.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TravelSnob1
wohlsein, Owner at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and for the glowing report on the Residence suite you occupied. It is hard for me to understand that your suite was so wonderful and clean and the common areas are not as the same staff look after both.

We always take constructive and sensible comments by our guests very serious and address them accordingly.

It was rather unfortunate that you were here during and after a gloomy, overcast and rainy and windy period and never saw the sun in your two day stay as the ocean is not black but a sparkling blue with Brown Pelicans catching the fish in the clear water right in front of the hotel.. so much to do, kayaking or snorkeling or swim in the warm ocean.

"Mother Nature" always leaves her footprint during and after a period of bad weather and sadly that is what you experienced and expressed in your review.

Wilhelm Sack
The Horned Dorset Primavera
Rincon, Puerto Rico.

Reviewed May 16, 2010

this is a lovely property, but not worth the price- especially with the $120 daily "resort fee" that comes at the end. Upon checking out I noticed that this $120.00 fee was added to my already expensive room rate. While it explained to me that this fee was noted in the "fine print" of my contract, it still feels very much like a "cheat."
Also, the service was not up to par. While the room comes with a coffee maker, the hotel couldn't come up with a pot to boil tea. Come on guys. For an extra $120 a day you can certainly find a tea kettle.
With all the other options available in other parts of the island I would not stay here again and I certain could not recommend this property to a friend.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul_NYC_10
wohlsein, Owner at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write this review however I have to correct your review as we do not have any "hidden fees", our rates for our suites, service charge and taxes are published clearly and there is no such thing as "small print"..and all written confirmation spell it out clearly, please look it up on our web page or any other printed or electronic material.

We always have a few electric tea water heaters available for our guests and I apologize that you were not offered one after your request.

Puerto Rico offers a wide range of hotels and guest houses and price categories and I hope you will find a place to your liking for a future visit to our beautiful shores.

Wilhelm Sack
The Horned Dorset Primavera

Reviewed April 17, 2010

Warm welcome approximately 20 minute ride from airport. Plenty of greenery mango trees. Good equipment in exercise room with good size pool in the same location. Plenty of exercise walking the many stairs but this is necessary after such delightful breakfast, lunch, dinners and delicious wines. We walked for hours early mornings along the beach before breakfast. We also met Mia and four friends for these walks, it was so relaxing. We occupied a two level suite with our own plunge pool, which over looked the beach with full ocean view. There's no other place we would have wanted to spend my honeymoon. My husband collect fresh fruit from the native trees each morning and the bartender made breakfast drinks how refreshing. We located a local shop with in four minutes of the hotel while walking the trail way. Having two separate baths on each level a woman couldn't have asked for more. Only regret "Wished we had more days and should have sent in our review much sooner". This hotel is certainly at the top of our recommendation. Not far from shopping outlets.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Lazy Parrot Inn
Lazy Parrot Inn
#2 of 7 in Rincon
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Horned Dorset Primavera? Share your experiences!