“You want a great romantic spot, stay here”

Horned Dorset Primavera
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
New York City, New York
“You want a great romantic spot, stay here”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Horned Dorset staff and manager are exceptional. They will go out of there way to make the stay beyond awesome. Its a luxury hotel with great accommodations. The location is a bit out of town but that makes it romantic and fun.
The food is organic and fresh. I don't post positive reviews normally and i'm fickle -- and this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and I will pass them on to our staff.

We are looking forward seeing you back again and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any further information.

Best regards,

Rincon, Puerto Rico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Carolina
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Disappointed and bored ... My wife and I stayed a weekend after the company I worked for paid for the stay. Thanks God it was not paid by me! To start with, we arrived during the night; the area is not properly labeled or illuminated. I had to call reception, which after several phone rings, directed me to the property. The person who greeted us was very friendly, accommodating and took us to our suite. Upon arrival, the musty smell invaded our nostrils immediately. Everything looked good so far (it was night), we changed clothes and quickly left to the restaurant. I must say that the experience at the restaurant was outstanding! The wine chart was very good, the food in general: excellent! Service: Excellent! After dinner, we went to have a drink downstairs, in the living area close to the front desk. The bartender was in the back and I had to call several times (asleep?). The living area was deserted for the first half an hour or so; then, a father and a son arrived to play several moves of chess; but they departed in just 15-20 minutes (probably bored as well). After several sips, boredom invaded our souls so we decided to go to sleep. This living area is full of old, dusty books, a chess table and a shelf with old DVD's... We walked outdoor corridors with little lighting, dangerously slippery in some sections, up to our suite. The downstairs bathroom was not working very well and was slow in flushing down every time it was used; the next day was clogged. You need an instructions manual to operate the shower and a can of WD-40 to make hinges work... It was indeed pleasant to sleep with the rolling waves as the sea broke almost in our window. The next day we could see everything in detail with natural daylight: poor maintenance, areas (fountains) that were not in operation, roof leaks in our room, burnout lights, a private pool that was always spilling and constantly flooding the yard, and many other things.... We decided to have breakfast; it was very, very nice: in an outdoor waterfront area, over the breakwater; watching the sea and a small amount of pelicans diving in front of you having their breakfast as well. The service, menu and food quality: excellent! We then went to explore the surroundings and realized that the hotel offer ANYTHING for amusement! Frustrated and bored, we decided to throw ourselves off the pool to read, have several drinks and wait out for dinner. Again, we corroborated the deterioration of the facilities: the pool was full of green slime and an external pump had been installed to aid in filtration, but obviously was not enough… We repeat the same good experience during the dinner and the same boredom during the after dinner... It is true: we are NOT the kind of travelers that enjoy going places and just lay back. The next day we left early, frustrated and disappointed. We decided to get even with the monumental boring at the hotel we had that weekend and went by car coasting and stopping at almost every autochthonous food and beverage cubbyhole we found in our trip through Mayaguez, Cabo Rojo and Lajas: wow that we enjoyed! Our Puerto Rico is extremely beautiful! And the people: Outstanding! In another review I will detail the most important points we visited during this “autochthonous food and beverage cubbyhole-hopping”, that were responsible for "saving our weekend!, especially one...”

Room Tip: There are better options if you're looking for a "lay-back" vacation...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dr_gacs
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience of your recent visit.

When the Horned Dorset Primavera Hotel first opened in 1987 is was promoted a s place without activities, well, it has changed a little bit as we have now wireless Internet, TV's/VCR and many other modern amenities, however it is still a place to relax, enjoy the peace and quite, read your favorite book in the modern or the old way.

I was pleased to read that you saw a father and son play chess in our library filled with old and antique books, still a different world.

I have spoken to housekeeping regarding the issues you mentioned and I am glad you enjoyed the food and service.

The Horned Dorset Primavera always will be a special place for peace and quite and I hope you will find a place to your liking on a future visit to the West Coast of the Island.

Wishing you and your family an peaceful Holiday Season,

Boston
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my family in mid October which is the low season, so the hotel was empty, which made it more intimate.
The room is truly a gorgeous duplex apartment. The master bathroom is beautifully decorated and the private dipping pool is very pleasant, but for the hotel's ratings and the amount of money that it costs the services and the details are just not there.
As we arrived, there were only 2 towels in the bathroom.
We wanted to call the concierge, but we found out that there is no telephone in the room. Instead there is a piece of paper telling to call the lobby's number with your cell phone, but we did not have reception.
So my husband went out to look for towels and came back with some for the beach because they were out of the white ones.
The kitchen is fully built, but there is not a single utensil or plate. Not even a plate and a knife to slice a fruit.
Also no coffee machine and forget the take down service at 6pm night!
The hotel is right on the beach. This is not an amazing beach, but one could swim in the ocean. There is a kayak. Beware that it does not have a cushion, so it will give you blisters after 15 minutes.

The pool is the highlight of the hotel, especially since there is nothing else. We knew this, and were fine with that, but it made the hotel compare poorly with our next hotel, a truly 5 star resort for $100 less per night.

The food is quite good, but the menu is limited and too rich for the hot weather. A few more creative salads would be welcomed.

In summary when compared with other high end resorts the services are simply not there, but one really gets a big suite fir for 4 people.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank StellaAlberti
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you that you find our rooms gorgeous and I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations on the service.

Please note the little kitchenettes in the suites are not meant for cooking at all only to keep room service deliveries warm and to heat up items in the micro wave .

Again, I hope we see you back in the high season as we have then a wide range of amenities from bathrobes, Nesspresso coffee, Pelligrino water etc.

Looking forward seeing you here again and all the best for the upcoming Holidays.

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I were there for our mini honeymoon and the place is amazing. We loved it. It is very private, the food is great, the service was amazing and the ambiance was a delight! I recommend it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zilade
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us and we appreciate your comments.

The Horned Dorset Primavera is a special place for special people like you and we will continue to offer this oasis of peace and quite to guests appreciating it.

Wishing you all the best for the upcoming Holiday Season.

Los Angeles
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just spent 2 days at Horned Dorset. It is pure heaven. This is my second time at the property and it was great. This time, I took my father who has difficulty walking. Wilhelm Sack put us in a suite that had easy access and outrageously beautiful. We enjoyed our stayed tremendously and look forward to going back soon. Thank you to Wilhelm and his staff for everything they did.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing with us your vacation experience and we are looking forward seeing you back again.

Best regards and best wishes for the upcoming Holiday Season.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My Husband and I spent five very relaxing nights at this very special hotel. Our huge two-storey suite was unlike any other hotel suite I ever stayed in, with a wonderful multi-jetted walk-in shower, very comfortable bed with quality linens and a view straight over the sea. The Moroccan theme made the suite even more dramatic with its fabulous chandeliers and marble. It was so lovely to fall asleep to the sound of the waves.
The rest of the hotel offers a large pool, which we often had all to ourselves, a delightful private beach, beautiful grounds and an excellent restaurant. The staff is very gracious and the Manager is available and very approachable.
What we most liked is that the hotel has a delightful, almost refined atmosphere, not stuffy or pretentious but easy going and relaxed.
A little maintenance is needed but that is to be expected in such a lovely property of advancing years situated right on the beach in full force of the unforgiving sea air.
The service was excellent and in particular I must mention the very efficient, knowledgeable and friendly French Restaurant Manager who certainly enhanced our dining experience every night.
This hotel will not satisfy those who require non-stop activities, casinos, shopping and nightclubs but is better suited to guests who really want to relax in peace and quiet whilst enjoying good food and service in an enchanting environment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heb999
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite and our hotel and that you enjoyed the special feeling of the place.

I will pass you comments on to our employees and we all are looking forward seeing you here again.

I
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I spent one night in Old San Juan (El Convento) and then made the drive to Rincon. After a quick seamless check in (like he had been waiting on just me to show up his whole life) he escorted us to our room which was a two story ocean front "house" with wrapping balconies and a private pool with gorgeous views of the ocean. It was beautifully decorated and appointed. It was fit for a head of state. The room service was prompt and professional. When I first checked in I called and ordered a bottle of rum and some ice and it was there in 6 minutes. The food was world class. Great seafood. Snapper with garlic sauce was superb. The hotel has this very old Moroccan/Caribbean luxurious charm to it. We can't wait to go back. Prepare for $$$$ though. -MF (NYC)

Room Tip: Number 19 is the largest room and considered the presidential suite. It's where we stayed and yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience of your recent visit to our hotel .

I will pass your comments on to our staff and we are very much looking forward seeing you back again.

Best regards,

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,141 reviews

Been to Horned Dorset Primavera? Share your experiences!