Horned Dorset Primavera
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rincon
See available hotels
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate poolmoroccan stylerelais chateauxtasting menuthe general managerpuerto ricofour posterworth the splurgeocean frontluxury hotelliving roomnight lifesackpoolscaribbeanvillaaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 1, 2012

How do you rate a place that is so extremely lovely yet has some major drawbacks. It's a problem. My solution is to lay out the facts and let you decide.

The Positives - My room was a two story suite with a gorgeous living room and small kitchen on the first floor and a big comfy bedroom upstairs. Although I didn't have an ocean view our room was up on a hill and had a small terrace with it's own plunge pool. When I say gorgeous I men it. It was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever had from the size to the quality and comfort of the furnishings even the quiet restful location.

Although the resort is small, maybe intimate is a better word, it has a beautiful restaurant, nice pool and a small beach. The service was, if not top notch, at least it was very good and generally attentive.

The Drawbacks - By far the worst problem I had was that the resort recycles the water (from the toilets?) to water the grass. It's true the owner told me when my small son just blurted out to him that it smells like poop there. I don't know what to tell them but if they can't fix the smell issue gas masks at check in and post "keep off the grass" PLEASE!

Other less significant issues are related to the location which is very isolated. We were there for about a week and I was suffering from cabin fever by the end. Also related to the location is the fact that the beach is very rough and the water during our whole stay was very murky with lots of debris like big tree limbs churned up by the waves.

The last issues I would bring up are that we could not use our plunge pool because it was leaky so we had to fill it with freezing water so it was not pleasant to use. Hey here's an idea, fix the leaky pools to save water instead of watering the lawn with poop water!

Lastly the price is too steep. I don't mind spending $600 plus a night if it's worth it but I think the relaix and chateau listing went to their head here. This place does not have the real world class consistent excellence that I would expect for the price they charge.

Just sayin!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Streetfeeds
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay (some time ago) with us.I appreciate your posivitve comments on the accommodations, service and the hotel, but was taken back by your cynical comments on our efforts to be "green" and mother nature with the ocean stirred up.

Belonging to Relais et Chateaux is a commitment to the " C's" of the Association, being, Charm, Coutesy, Cuisine, Calm, Character and there is no time to let it get to our "head". I have been associated with Relais et Chateaux for more then 25 years in the buisness I love.

Hopefully we will see you back here again and all the best wishes for a good summer and please do not hesitate to contact me for any future visits.

Wilhelm Sack
The Horned Dorset Primavera

Reviewed April 9, 2012

This was my very first time staying at the Horned Dorset and I would come back in a single heart beat.

I actually live in Puerto Rico and had heard and read much about this place but never took the opportunity to stay until now and i do not regret it at all.

Upon arriving we were immediately greeted by staff who took our bags and brought them to the reception area. There we were greeted by Mr. Wilhelm Sack. Extremely friendly and upon finding out he was born in Austria followed to have a nice conversation in German with him. The check in process was quick and flawless. We were told that our room might not be ready yet but would show us how to get there and we could have a drink while its getting ready. We arrived to the room and to our surprise it WAS ready. We walked in the door and it was breath taking. Beautiful old style rooms that just immediately gave the feeling of being at home. The dipping pool was incredible. The view from the terraze spectacular. The sound of the ocean waves crashing on the beach was exactly what we were looking for.

This was only the first floor. Going to the second floor the huge beautifully appointed bathroom. Enormous bed. And even more breath taking views from the balcony. We feel in love right then and there and knew the 2 nights would not e enough.

The food - lunch and dinnet were delicious. Tasteful. And filling. The presentation of the food was amazing. The first day we ordered lunch for room service and the waiter set the table with a white table cloth and made us feel like we were actually eating at a restaurant instead of our room.

The staff is friendly. Attentive and very helpful. While on the beach i wandered up to the veranda and asked one of the waiters where the bar was. He asked me why and if i wanted a drink. I said yes that i would like a mojito and piña colada. He said please go back to the beach as they are obligated to bring the drinks to us. WOW.

The place itself is secluded. Quiet. Tranquil. And hidden away. As other reviews state. Dont expect to be partying here. This place is to go. Escape in the tranquility. Gather yourself and recharge. You actually lose yourself being here and forget even what day or time it is. It is pure relaxation.

When we woke up Sunday morning the thought of having to check out and drive back to San Juan entered our minds and were deeply saddened that it ended so quick.

Had Monday not been another working day we would have stayed another night no questions asked.

Thank you to Mr. Sack and his entire staff for running such an amazing hotel with attention to detail. I can not say a single bad thing. I hope to be back soon and many more times to escape the hectic San Juan area.

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank SaschaHerzig
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments and I will pass them on to all our staff, good motivation, and we are looking forward seeing you back again..Danke.. Wilhelm Sack

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Beautiful beachfront hotel with a very accommodating staff and two story attached villas decorated exquiaitely in Moroccan style.

• Stayed: April 2012
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Merci beaucoup..management and staff..

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Exceptional place, a good quiet retreat for a weekend away.

We had a really lovely time.

Thank you for keeping such a quiet place.

Please do have your staff pick up the garbage on the beach that drifts in, there
was a lot of it. If they could do that it would be great and environmentally sensitive.

But the stay was excellent....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Mrs. Herrera,

Thank you for your high recommodation and your comment rearding drift wood etc. coming in to the beach and have alerted our beach staff to keep an eye on it specially when there is a rough sea.

We are looking forward seeing you back again and best regards.

Wilhelm Sack.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Horned Dorset is that rare place generally shared very quietly - among friends - and only to SOME of your friends. It is a place you would never want spoiled. It is true - it feels like your home. And as Anne Morrow once wrote "I shall invite into my shell, only those with whom I can be completely honest".
It is quiet. It is resplendant. The management is perfect and personal - it is apparant that each guest is the personal responsibility of your hosts. The chef is stunning and the food is accordinly amazing. The enitre staff takes cares for you as if you are guests in their home - -for example - two hours after our arrival - as we were enjoying wine with our friends on couches in the bar/library - - the waiter came with a smile and a tray - and very gently announced "excuse me, but it is important that we should move you to the terrace just over there - the sun is setting now - you should be there to enjoy it." And indeed we did.... Dinner was exquisite. We had opted for the meal plan - thus It began with a pureed mushroom soup, followed by salmon gravlax, then beef filet (I substituted roasted breast of duck) and then baked chocolate pie ( which my husband adored - I substituted chocolate cake with a molten coconut center and coconut ice cream on the side - exceeded only by a friend's rasberry souffle with cream anglaise and cinnamon ice cream on the side) - As our post-dessert coffee was being served, our waiter (without being asked) took a moment to explain to us where breakfast would be served in the morning - and a few other details - just as you would explain to guests in your home.
The suites - a small apartment in fact - are furnished with incredibly beautiful traditional furniture - featured a living room, full bath, kitchen, espresso maker and terrace with lounge chairs, table, market umbrella and plunge pool downstairs - and a wonderful bedroom and sitting room upstairs - with a canapied bed, enormous bathroom, huge footed whirlpool tub, rainshower, 2 sinks etc - and balcony terrace overlooking the ocean....upstairs.
Two larger pools with terraces and lounge chairs etc - - - one an infinity overlooking the ocean - were delightful. The building for dinner, lunch and breakfast - - with bar/library - featured open terraces -and intimate, exquisitely decorated air conditioned rooms - just incredible.

This is a quiet place. Do not come here looking for a party - unless you rent the entire hotel for a group - - - and do not make a party - - those around you are relishing the peace and gentility.

Should you want to explore beyond the hotel - there is much to do and enjoy in Rincon. For example, we chartered a catamaran from the nearby marina and enjoyed a morning on the water - snorkeling and looking for whales.

This is a wonderful wonderful place.

Room Tip: Well - - the rooms overlooking the ocean are incredible - and you can enjoy the sound of the surf - - but ALL the rooms here would be incredible. Truly - - any room is a gift to enjoy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank ldm010
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Thank you for your comments and we are looking forward seeing you back again.

Management and Staff of The Horned Dorset Primavera in sunny Puerto Rico.