“Unexpected Stop Turned Splendid”

Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
Bernardsville, NJ
“Unexpected Stop Turned Splendid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2009

On January 11, 2009, my husband and I drove into Rincon after driving up from Cabo Rojo. We had no reservation and I knew of some inns in town, but we stumbled upon Rincon of the Seas and took a shot.

The front desk staffer, Kevin, could not have been nicer and more accomadating. We got the room for a special rate of $155, which was a great rate for the hotel. My understanding is that the rooms run around $215. Kevin was able to even check us in upon arrival.

The lobby is so welcoming and has a Caribbean flair.

Our room- #523- was clean, decorated in a modern style, and had a private balcony facing the pool and ocean.

I wanted a massage and my husband asked Kevin if he could help us out with that. Kevin arranged it for me. First time ever- I had a massage right on the balcony of our hotel room.

The pool is very nice and the beach is easily accessible. The room service is reasonably priced and pretty good.

As far as Rincon- go to relax. Not much to do in the town, unless you surf.

• Liked — View from balcony
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JerseyGirlSeesWorld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Neptune, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

I would not be so critical of this hotel were it not for the price. It was about $100 more expensive per night than any of the surrounding properties, most of which looked equal to and some superior to the Rincon of the Seas when we toured them. On the positive side, the staff is friendly and helpful. The main desk people were nice and the housekeeping crew were outstanding. The room, and, in fact, the whole hotel were spotless.
The pool was clean and nice, but only deep enough for a kiddie pool. The beach was great with plenty of chairs. Housekeeping provided a lot of fresh beach towels.
The 5th floor oceanview room had a spectacular view of the sunset, and a good large balcony, however I had to fix a drainpire with a coke can so it wouldn't flood the balcony.
The room was small with not enough surface space to put all the stuff that one spreads out for an 8 day stay. Only one side of the bed had a night table. The furniture was servicable but tired and certainly never high end. The linens were okay at best. The bathroom was all right, but again tired and the tile and fixtures were not what one would expect at a hotel as expensive as this.
Both ice machines and one of the two elevators were broken and never fixed during our stay. You had to trek to the pool bar at the other end of the property to get ice.
The bartenders at the pool bar were incredibly busy doing things other than serving the customers. I once tried to order a drink when there were only 4 people at the bar. The other three already had a drink. There were 4 servers behind the bar who were extraordinary at avoiding eye contact and not hearing your order. When one finally came up to take my order, she apologized and shrugged as to suggest that she was so busy. I looked behind me to see if 30 more people had snuck in, but no, the same four thirsty souls.
Perhaps the worst was the fact that there was a wedding at the hotel and the wedding party had the rooms on both sides of us. They commenced to play loud music and talk and laugh loudly at 10 pm, cranked up the decibel level at midnight, and started screaming at 1 am, which they continued until two or three am for three consecutive nights. There was no response from the front desk when I asked that security be sent to at least talk to them. They said they would, but the noise continued unabated. In fact, I can't say that I ever saw a security guard at any time while I was there.
Many guests had similar experiences as ours. One couple, who were on the 3rd floor, thought the screaming was a terrorist attack, and they were figuring out how to protect their children when the desk told them it was only a wedding group.
There were rumors that the hotel was about to change hands, so maybe the management is just hanging on until something happens.
All in all, I would have to say to keep away from this place especially at the prices they charge. Rincon is a great place, but the Rincon of the Seas is not the way to enjoy it.

• Liked — the view and the beach
  • Disliked — the noise and the non-functioning elevators and ice machines
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank seanachie

Travelers are raving about these Rincon hotels

san juan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed the weekend of October 31 thru November 4th. The first night I arrived late (around 10pm) to check in and when I got to my room, I could not get to sleep because they had out loud music playing (reggaeton) until 12 am. The same repeated next night. There were lots of dust on the room, the air conditioning filter was very dirty, you cannot walk barefooted because your feet would get dusty. The internet (wireless) was unstable at the room, (I could just stay connected for 5 minutes and then the connection fell and I had to keep on trying to connect). The bathroom door had the lock missing and the balcony door handle broke (when I opened the door the handle was left on my hand). There are no pool towels at the pool area, so they leave one towel per person. One of the days, they came to clean the room and the pool towels needed to be changed and they told me that they did not had any towels until after 1pm (it was just 10 am). The bathrooms at the pool area were out of service. The pool was very dirty (I did pass long times at the pool area with my daughters and I never saw any personal cleaning). The pool was full of plants, sand and dead bees. The pool pumps were not working fully, I could check this myself (just few jetstreams were working). I did not let my daughter stay at the pool long, as I was afraid of the bacteria (I never saw anyone dropping clorox or netting the pool) The food is very expensive. The bar was closed during election day (no service at the pool whatsoever) I had to go out to get food and drinks. Horrible, I would never come back!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sacha555
Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

My wife and I we choose this to be the place for our honeymoon and I have to say I feel satisfied with the service and prompt response to any requested service. We stayed for a total of 4 nights. Although the weather did not cooperate at all this, didn't ruin our special stay at this hotel. We had a little problem with the AC the first day and it was IMMEDIATELY fixed for a brand new equipment. The Staff is VERY nice and servicing.

The pool is awesome. Do not expect much from the beach. The view and sunsets are to die for. You definitely get what you pay for. Watch out with food prices within the hotel!!! we found them exuberant. Although the food we tried was one of good taste, portions and looks.

We stayed at the fifth floor, our room had a good size balcony with a breathtaking sea view. If you really want an ocean front view MAKE SURE you get on this floor because anything bellow is packed with palm trees blocking "the view". It has a gym but we never check it out. Same with the game room. Satellite TV worked fine until a storm came( which I considered totally OK). Even though I didn't take my laptop with me, I didn't see anything relating to wireless internet or so around the hotel.

I have to mention that the best food you will find at the Italian restaurant just outside the hotel. I believe its called " el bambino". try anything!
their food quality, presentation and prices are excelent!

I recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quite, please, modest stay with your partner or family.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Food prices
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pedrodo
tacoma, washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

Stayed at 3 properties all next to each other. One was rather spartan and too quiet- only one other couple there. The other was packed with 20-somethings. Subdued spring-break energy made me claustrophobic, although obviously that's what a lot of people are looking for. R of the S was just right. Enough going on to not be bored but quiet enough to relax. Steps from the beach, pool and swim up bar very nice, very nice garden area underutilized by guests. If you want to do little, at the hotel or in the area, a great place to stay. If you are used to all-inclusive bevy of activities or multiple options of excursions in the area, you will grow antsy after a few days. Walking down the beach you will find many homes, condos, etc. falling apart or unrepaired seemingly from a previous storm or hurricane. R of the S itself, however, kept up their grounds very well.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

We spent four nights at Rincon of the Seas in July and truly enjoyed our stay. Location is great. The hotel is elegant in decor and the landscaping very beautiful. Our room was comfortable and clean. There was cable TV and refrigerator, but no coffee maker. The balconies are huge and offer beautiful views. Would stay again.

• Liked — Location, Pool, Beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed here on business for a week. As a vacation property, it's a nice place. As a business hotel, it has issues. If you find issues, be prepared to ask twice to get them fixed.

On my first night, my air conditioner didn't cool the room enough. In the morning, I asked to have it fixed. That day, it wasn't fixed ("they went home early today"). That evening I tried three other rooms until I found one with a fully functional A/C.

There are no coffee pots in the rooms (so you'll buy coffee in the restaurant). I said I want a coffee pot, since I leave for business in the morning before the restaurant opens. It didn't arrive after the first day, so I insisted and it arrived for the third day.

They send out laundry (a real feature), but only if you insist ("why wasn't laundry picked up today?" "I don't know, we'll send it out tomorrow").

Evidently, laid-back vacation spots are not high-performing business hotels.

• Liked — Quiet, scenic, price, internet in room
  • Disliked — Musty aroma, weak air conditioning, half-hearted business services
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
Royal Isabela
Royal Isabela
#1 of 6 in Isabela

Been to Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel? Share your experiences!