“AWESOME TEACHER!”

Puntas Surf School
Ranked #8 of 18 Tours in Rincon
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Puntas Surf School gives private and group lessons daily. Melissa Taylor has been giving surf lessons in Puerto Rico since 2002 and created Puntas Surf School in 2007. She is still the only female instructor in Rincon and she has a team of guy and girl instructors so each lesson has all the help and information they can get! Nolan is her head instructor. He is very patient, informative, personable, and always has a smile on his face! The goal for Melissa and her instructors is to provide an educational, invigorating, and unforgettable experience in the surfing capital of the carribbean; Rincon, Puerto Rico. Our school provides lessons for beginners, intermediate, and those who just want to get to the next level! All ages are welcome and we provide a variety of different surfboards!
P.R.
“AWESOME TEACHER!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spend the winters here in Rincon and have been using Melissa since I was 6. I am 9 now. She is so patient and nice. It feels like I am surfing with a friend instead of a teacher. I have done solo sessions and group ones with some of my friends. Her helpers are just as nice.

Westfield, New Jersey
“All levels for guided fun”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

If you are looking for a local guide for safety and navigation of area waves or looking for beginner or continued instruction, you will find this with Puntas. Melissa and Nolan are sensitive to the local culture. They have lived in Puerto Rico several years. They can rent you boards and point you to the right beaches or go with you for instruction. If you have kids, you will find they give that fun and cool aspect to the sport while being very aware of the safety of your child.
Teens: you may be looking to hire someone to go out with your child and just make sure they are in a safe area as well as do some teaching to improve your child's skill set . This is the right choice for you.

New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best lessons & board selection”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We go to Rincon on a regular basis and the bottom line is that Nolan & Melissa are the best instructors in town and also have the best board selection. If you are an experienced surfer just looking for a rental, they have a great selection of boards and just got about 14 new boards in a couple weeks ago! .. If you are a little rusty & need some refreshing they are both great, and if you are a very beginner (individual or a group) they are two of the most patient and knowledgable instructors you'll find.

Washington, DC
“Great surfing!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I spent a week in Rincon at the end of October and was lucky enough to take 3 lessons with Melissa. I have surfed several times before, but it had been 2 years and Melissa worked patiently with me, my experience, as well as the the things I needed help with to get me catching and riding waves (by the end I was getting up on almost everything) She clearly has a passion for surfing, and was quick to explain not only surfing techniques, but info about waves, breaks etc. Plus, she was patient, positive, and most importantly super nice. I had so much fun, felt so good out in the water, and look forward to getting back down to Rincon and surfing with Melissa again!

Visited October 2013
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Outstanding Family Fun”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My family has visited Rincon Puerto Rico several times. I go there to surf and I wanted to share that experience with my family. My wife and two children, an 11 year old boy and 7 year old girl each have some surfing experience, but not in the reef breaks and more unfamiliar conditions of the tropics. I had met the Melissa, the owner of Puntas Surf School previously and was impressed with her demeanor as I observed her giving lessons to all skill levels and ages in the water. As a school teacher of nearly 20 years, I can tell when somebody has a gift to share knowledge. I was also impressed with her husband, Nolan, and the other instructors. So I decided to schedule a lesson for my family as I watched and took pictures.

What a great idea! My children were each paired up with incredible instructors and my wife paddled out with Melissa. I stood on the beach with Nolan as he cared for their new born (and beautiful) daughter. Let me say this, to stand on the beach with a new dad and share the amazement, and tears of joy as I watched me family get the rides of a lifetime was one of the most precious moments of my life. My wife took her surfing to a new level and had continued to apply Melissa's tips at home. My daughter rode such long and awe inspiring waves that she still talks about them, writes about them in school and draws waves all over everything she can. My son dropped in and rode perfect, endless waves, I was almost jealous to be on the beach and not in the juice with him. He has taken to winter surfing in cold New Jersey. I made friends with some of the instructors and got in a session with them later in the week as the swell grew.

My family is steeped in the surf culture, such as the family at Puntas Surf School. We have remained in touch with the friends we made that day and look forward to returning. I highly recommend Puntas Surf School to anyone lucky enough to find themselves in this beautiful little corner "Rincon" of the globe!

Visited March 2013